N-Europe

Game buys Gamestation

FUCK!!! whats the betting all the GS stores close if they're close to GAME ones, and maybe they'll do a rebranding in a couple years. Didnt game also buy out EB in the UK?

This news has pissed me off, i just hope NOTHING about GS changes!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,

GAME now own all three major players in the market:

Themselves, Gameplay.com and now Gamestation.

*sigh*

I didn't realise they owned gameplay! I remember I used to order from gameplay way back in the day when they were just a telephone mail order company, then they seemed to just dissappear off the radar. By time I found them again, there were much better places out there and much more available due to growth of the internet.

Anyway, I wonder if GAME will get rid of the new stock in GameStation, and turn it solely into a 2nd-Hand shop (I mean, they already seem to be getting bogged down by the 2nd hand stuff), and keep GAME for the new stuff.

That, is actually quite an interesting proposition! I don't imagine they would make either store exclusive though, as it means they're losing out on the oppurtunity to push preowned on those after brand new stuff.

FUCK!!! whats the betting all the GS stores close if they're close to GAME ones, and maybe they'll do a rebranding in a couple years. Didnt game also buy out EB in the UK?

This news has pissed me off, i just hope NOTHING about GS changes!

I just read Wikipedia, it said that Game was originally a small chain or something, the EB bought it over and then rebranded all its EB stores into GAME stores. Basically, EB totally changed to Game Group Ltd, I think that's their name.

Personally I hate Gamestation. They sum up everything I hate about games. But then I suppose so do Game. Oh well, I guess I'll continue to buy all my games off the internet.

What the fuck? what is this everything you hate about games?

Wot a crock of shit...if I was the likes of HMV, Virgin, Supermarkets (companies trying to get into the gaming market more) I would fill a call under under the anti competition laws.

But then again this recently happened with HMV first buying Waterstones and then buying Hammicks/Ottakars (Sp?!) who were up there in the top 5 book retailers and no eyebrows were raised....

So now Game own the second largest retailer...who they gonna buy next what a crock of shit, no part of this is in the slightest bit good for us the customers...

Oh please don't let Gamestation stop selling '64 games! I've been slowly working my way to a collection..

I forgot about Gamestations awesome retroness. I better go snap up their virtual boy before they are told to get rid of everything.

What the fuck? what is this everything you hate about games?

Mate, have you ever been in a Game/Gamestation? It's a nightmare experience. The staff, the customers, everything. Gets right on my tits. People wonder why people don't take videogames seriously, but the answer is pretty obvious. It's because their only experience of the industry if fucking Gamestation and the cretinous arseholes within. :mad:

The sort of shit I'm talking about:

I was going to rip into the bastards for spreading stereotypes, but on reflection, these really are the sorts of ***** you get in Gamestation.

Ive known about gamestation being brought out for a while now cause i work at one of the stores. Originally we thought the american company gamestop was gonna buy us but looks like game has done it. Luckily i get to keep my job as the gamestation i work at is a concessions store in blockbusters and they brought all of them and are keeping a separate games section.

If I have to buy on the high street I usually find that smaller stores and independent stores have the better range and nicer prices. I've been into GAME and GameStation several times over the last year and the most I've bought were some own-brand PC components from GAME (a controller and a GBA charging USB cable). Otherwise I always (read: always, not "most of the time" or "nearly always") find better prices online.

I just read Wikipedia, it said that Game was originally a small chain or something, the EB bought it over and then rebranded all its EB stores into GAME stores. Basically, EB totally changed to Game Group Ltd, I think that's their name.

But don't EB stores still exist in America? Im sure when I went to New York last year there were a few EB stores around.

But don't EB stores still exist in America? Im sure when I went to New York last year there were a few EB stores around.

It's a completely different company.

EB (UK) took over GAME, and re-named themselves GAME. (because the store existed in the US, they had to, and still do, pay 1% of sales to the US EB Games)

EB (US) merged with GameStop.

GAME Group will be keeping the Gamestation brand alongside the GAME stores.

Source

GAME stores will focus on:

• Mainstream model, appealing to the “mass marketâ€

• Catering for all gaming

• Focused customer service

• Clear and simple store environment

Gamestation stores will keep their original remit:

• Strength in serving the core gamer

• Business model developed "by gamers for gamers"

• Strong pre-owned offering

• Tailored to appeal to the male games enthusiast

1-up Mushroom