N-Europe

Nintendo profits up 77 per cent

Forecast increased once again

Nintendo has announced its financial results for the year ending March 31, revealing a huge rise in sales and soaring profits as the DS and Wii continue to prove popular with consumers.

Net profit stood at YEN 174.3 billion (EUR 1.1 billion / USD 1.4 billion / GBP 731 million) - a year-on-year increase of 77.2 per cent.

Revenues increased by 90 per cent to reach YEN 966.5 billion (EUR 5.95 billion) while operating profit was also up at YEN 226 billion (EUR 1.4 billion) - a rise of 150 per cent.

In a statement, Nintendo attributed the results to healthy hardware and software sales. More than 23 million Nintendo DS units were sold during the year, along with 123 million DS games. Figures for the Wii, which launched in December, stood at 5.84 million consoles and 29 million games.

Nintendo expects strong sales to continue, predicting global DS sales of 22 million units and 130 million games for 2007/8. The forecast for Wii is 14 million consoles and 55 million software titles.

The company also raised its financial forecasts for the year - consolidated sales are predicted to increase by nearly 18 per cent, while Nintendo said profits will be up by almost 20 per cent to reach YEN 270 billion (EUR 1.66 billion).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24558

If this continues, Nintendo can buy a second Nintendo in a few years.

How about using some of this money to release some fucking games.

Why release games now, when they can release them later when the sales start to dwindle to make the sales rocket again?

edit: Also, this current lack of 1st party games is increasing the sales of 3rd party games, for which we'll be thanked for by some great 3rd party tiles in 08 or 09.

Why release games now, when they can release them later when the sales start to dwindle to make the sales rocket again?

Agreed, makes sense... and I'm still really enjoying WiiSports, Excite Truck and SSX Blur with my mates... not to mention my Cube games too!

I'd like to see the money go into resource for helping 3rd party devs with their projects (Ubisoft comes to mind) to give them a better idea of how to utilise the Wiimote!

How about using some of this money to release some fucking games.
There's games coming out, jeez... always this talk.

whine, whine, whine and then whine some more... must be some kind of recipe. :blank:

I'd like to see the money go into resource for helping 3rd party devs with their projects (Ubisoft comes to mind) to give them a better idea of how to utilise the Wiimote!
If they gave Ubisoft money they had to give pretty much anyone in the industry, it's not like Ubisoft is poor and it's their decision to support us, besides they got our money with their launch titles and they profits rised, they have the obligation to spend those funds back at us now.

I'd rather see that money going for Camelot RPG and studios like SEED's and Grasshopper; that said... it's not a Nintendo obligation.

I don't actually mean giving the 3rd party devs money directly, but using the money for Nintendo's own representatives to actually go to the 3rd parties and give input to the games.

It'd make the outcome of games much better if Nintendo have a little more input into games themselves, by this I mean input toward the utilistion of the Wiimote!

Say for instance if Nintendo sent out a couple of their own devs to work with Ubisoft and give their input into how to use and code for the Wiimote, I don't believe Ubisofts games would have been such a poor showing!

if operating profit is up 150% it means nintendo are making alot on each wii and DS. if Net profit is up only 77% it means they have spent alot more than usual on advertising and overheads.

Interesting but published accounts are normally underestimated in order to pay less tax. so i imagine they are doing better than what it says there.

if operating profit is up 150% it means nintendo are making alot on each wii and DS. if Net profit is up only 77% it means they have spent alot more than usual on advertising and overheads.

Come again please? :D

it means that the price of the wii could have been lower. but they have had no problem shifting them so it is a good business decision. however as a customer i am not happy.

Meh, I'd get the same feeling, were it not I'm confident that Nintendo will invest in making gaming more of a fun experience in every way for us, the end consumer.

Nintendo are actually being a tad greedy just now actually. They fully recognise that they can get away operating at the same level they currently are and can continue to make huge profits, where as hiring more staff and increasing game development has no guarantee to increase profits any higher as it's the extremely cheap to develop games like Brain Training that are responsible for these profits anyway. Games made specifically for hardcore gamers that actually take quite a bit of budget haven't been selling nearly as well.

I mean look at it this way, games like Zelda and Fire Emblem have sold about 400,000 and 130,000 copies in Japan respectively. Those games probably had pretty huge budgets. Then look at Wiisports which is already a million seller (as it's not packed in there) and will probably continue to rise in sales for months and months to come, where as Zelda and Fire Emblem have already almost grinded to a halt.

In other words, as a business decision, Nintendo are probably primarily focusing on appealing to this new "non-gamer" audience just now and feel they just have to do the bare minimum to keep the hardcore crowd happy, aka get out all the "big games" and space them out so there's always something in the future.

Erm, as much as I'd like to think Nintendo would spend the money on more games, I have the strangest idea that they'll what every other business will do - give the money to their stock holders...

Although, you can see that they have put a lot more money into R+D, advertising and all the other stuff they do - they made 150% more than last year, and then put half of that back into the company. So, if each department gets the money spread evenly, then the average budget goes up by around 30%, from doing the maths in my head. Which means they are putting money into the games!

not necesarrily. i would think that game development would be classed under cost of sales therefor be taken from sales to give gross (operating) profit. all other expenses would then be deducted to give net profit.

In fact if my assumption is correct they are putting less money into games and more money into marketing the games they are making.

I noticed this on here earlier and didnt pay much heed to it actually - taking the DS and Wii's success for granted like. And its the typical type of thread that pops up around here anyway, being a Nintendo forum. Then on my way home there, the news came on the radio... and this was one of the articles! I think it was Radio 2. The doll was like profits are up at Nintendo and I said 77% to my girl and the radio woman went on to say "around 80%." I reiterated that it was actually 77%. :heh:

And Tellyn!'s got a point, I'm looking a job and I'll translate. :hehe:

I don't actually mean giving the 3rd party devs money directly, but using the money for Nintendo's own representatives to actually go to the 3rd parties and give input to the games.

It'd make the outcome of games much better if Nintendo have a little more input into games themselves, by this I mean input toward the utilistion of the Wiimote!

Say for instance if Nintendo sent out a couple of their own devs to work with Ubisoft and give their input into how to use and code for the Wiimote, I don't believe Ubisofts games would have been such a poor showing!

Nintendo has a team of experienced personnel for testing games from third party's for free if they want to, with NDA's and full confidentiality, they'll locate bugs and give advice on how to change it for the better, controls and such.

It does pretty much the same except they aren't being re-located at Ubisoft and teaching them for 30 days straight.

Nobody was really adapted to the Wiimote at the beginning, not even the Nintendo testing team though, some just used their time better than others.

So if they save up a little, they can buy Microsoft and Sony :p

and then conquer the world :D

I wonder if we'll see a change in direction next gen, so far Ninty changed their design with home-consoles every second gen. So next gen should be Wii with better graphics and I wonder if they'll be going down the route of MS and Sony in releasing a powerful system they make a loss on (because of such good profit) or continue their way.

I think the latter is more likely.