N-Europe

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

flameboy

there's no point in just looking at one review anymore now though is there? You just go to metacritic and you can see the average score or whatever and ignore the stupid ones that give games ridiculous scores for no apparent reason.

That was in the old days, that's why a lot of people still think of Famitsu as the word of God, but in the past few years they've began to suck imensely. I don't like EDGE's reviews either though.

Why do you say Famitsu have deteriorated? Such as what examples of bad reviewing can you give, just out of curiosity.

That was in the old days, that's why a lot of people still think of Famitsu as the word of God, but in the past few years they've began to suck imensely. I don't like EDGE's reviews either though.

Well you wouldn't would you, I mean they gave Excite Truck 5/10. :laughing:

I generally trust IGN and Famitsu, I think they are most respected anyway. Edge are too sour faced, Gamespot are wankers and have a major anti-Nintendo thing going on, Official mags are obviously a little on the kind side, and I don't see anyone else with any major predigree.

I generally trust IGN and Famitsu, I think they are most respected anyway. Edge are too sour faced, Gamespot are wankers and have a major anti-Nintendo thing going on, Official mags are obviously a little on the kind side, and I don't see anyone else with any major predigree.

I agree with that completely. Gamespy are also heavily trusted,as they write excellent appraisals.

For me its always more about the written report than the numerical score awarded.

That right there is enough to question Edge :).

At the end of the day a review is just one persons opinion and I dont care if they work in the industry or not. I am 24 years old and have been playing games since the Spectrum era and as such I have played a hellava alot of games and know what I will like and what I dont.

Back on topic, this game will rock just as the Cube version did.

Cheers Hellfire and Demuwan for posting that vid. The game is looking incredible. I've got the Gamecube version but only played the first 2 chapters, but now with the excellent looking aiming I reckon it'll be even better.

Decided I'm definitely getting it now.

What's with you and bothering me with Excite Truck? Jesus. Annoying guy.

I don't give a crap about ANY review, good score or not, I just look at the facts, watch videos, read impression and if possible try the game out. I specially hate giving scores. It's an outdated and subjective system that shouldn't exist in rating any form of art.

Why do you say Famitsu have deteriorated? Such as what examples of bad reviewing can you give, just out of curiosity.

Unfortunately, I don't have a compendium of famitsu's scores. But it's not just the scores it's what they say. I mean, you know what the reason for the reviewers who didn't give TP 10 was? It was too hard. How the fuck do you trust guys who say TP is hard? I mean, the dungeons make you think quite a bit, but as far as enemies go, it's a walk in the park.

Also, FFX 39? We're talking about a game with barely any gameplay here.

When consulting media reviews, I find it better to visit 4 or 5 different sources to get an average out of it. (Don't say metacritic or gamestats... that doesn't work for me).

Anyway, now it's all about Wii and DS, I won't be getting the 360 for a long time and the PSP sucks, so I doubt I'll be buying many games for it. And PS3? Yeah, right... :laughing:

Now, regarding the topic, I can't wait for this bitch of a game to come out. I'm estimating I'll be completing it around 4 times (again), so... yeah, I love it already. :D

Cheers Hellfire and Demuwan for posting that vid. The game is looking incredible. I've got the Gamecube version but only played the first 2 chapters, but now with the excellent looking aiming I reckon it'll be even better.

Decided I'm definitely getting it now.

How did you stop? I couldn't put the controller down it was so addictive.

Urgh when it comes to reviewing games Edge have the far better track record for getting spot on scores than anyone else, and you don't get bullshit reviews that waste half the time telling you the story of the game than actually telling you whether its worth your money or not.

And Edge actually gave Excite Truck 6/10, which means its a flawed but good game, 5/10 is the average mark in Edge, not 7/10.

Kept running out of ammo at one point and getting killed cus I needed to use a sniper rifle I think. Was going to start again but never got round to it. Just means I'll enjoy this one more :D

I don't give a crap about ANY review, good score or not, I just look at the facts, watch videos, read impression and if possible try the game out. I specially hate giving scores. It's an outdated and subjective system that shouldn't exist in rating any form of art.

I disagree, I think a score at the end of the review adds to what has been written about the game, although I definitely think that the text is more important. I mean, for me, Excite Truck was a 6/10 but that in no way means I think it's bad, as I quite enjoyed it. But you wouldn't know that from just looking at the score I gave it.

I disagree, I think a score at the end of the review adds to what has been written about the game, although I definitely think that the text is more important. I mean, for me, Excite Truck was a 6/10 but that in no way means I think it's bad, as I quite enjoyed it. But you wouldn't know that from just looking at the score I gave it.

Nah, I agree with Hellfire. As soon as you give a game a score, you instantly give it something to compare to other games. I mean, for example, it got a 6/10. So, what if you drew a list of other racers that also got the same score, or better? Like we all complained that Nintendogs got 40/40 from Famitsu. Does that mean Nintendogs is a better game, than say, Twilight Princess? Obviously you can't compare the two anyway, as like Hellfire said, they're two different types of games. But, you always run that risk of comparing one game to something else, or the audience doing it once you've slapped a score on it.

The text is important, and I think they should spend more time writing an indepth review, with good and bad points, and less times on the score. Actually, better still, throw out the idea of a score and just have a "final say." Like we do for the VC Weekly reviews. It's much, much better that way.

Nah, I agree with Hellfire. As soon as you give a game a score, you instantly give it something to compare to other games. I mean, for example, it got a 6/10. So, what if you drew a list of other racers that also got the same score, or better? Like we all complained that Nintendogs got 40/40 from Famitsu. Does that mean Nintendogs is a better game, than say, Twilight Princess? Obviously you can't compare the two anyway, as like Hellfire said, they're two different types of games. But, you always run that risk of comparing one game to something else, or the audience doing it once you've slapped a score on it.

The text is important, and I think they should spend more time writing an indepth review, with good and bad points, and less times on the score. Actually, better still, throw out the idea of a score and just have a "final say." Like we do for the VC Weekly reviews. It's much, much better that way.

I agree , although I like the stars system that Gamespy do, I think thats is the most logical way of representing the merit of the game, while still preventing people from saying "a game is better" just because it "beat" the other game by 0.1 marks.

tbh I think we are all intelligent enough to see for ourselves If we will like a particular game before we buy it, based on a comprehensive critical evaluation. Although sometimes you just need to play the game for yourself.

Gamespy Review

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Pros

Play the game and be glad you did.

See where you're coming from, and maybe that would be better. I'd still like to see score's though, although I pay far less attention to scores now and much more on the text. SSX for me is a really good game and I totally disagree with the 5.5 1UP gave it, but I do agree with some of their points.

So for me, a score isn't that important to a review but I do like to see them, as just something else to think about.

You need to really take averages, but revies are very important, and most people have the sense to read a few before thy make a decision on whether to buy a game or not. Certain people don't like reviews because reviewers rubbish games they want to love.

Personally, I find IGN usually get it right. But I'm sure now I've said that someone will come up with some terrible IGN scores. The only thing I hate about IGN is the silly Australian scores which are always 0.1 or 0.2 higher.

IGN are pretty good, but I also HATE the new system of having Australian and Uk scores for the games - its such a shit way of doing it - have ONE score!!!!

This game will be the sleeper hit of 2007 =) Not even halo 3 will be able to stop it

IGN are pretty good, but I also HATE the new system of having Australian and Uk scores for the games - its such a shit way of doing it - have ONE score!!!!
Yeah it is a bit wierd! It's not like we're going to ignore the US scores because we're from the UK and have to have our own!

Yeah it is a bit wierd! It's not like we're going to ignore the US scores because we're from the UK and have to have our own!

UK scores are always lower, Australian higher, and US the only ones that count in the end. I do like hearing alternative views by different reviewers but not that way.

I couldn't play in in large doses, and gave up part way through the castle - that bit was too long. I sold it, but I'll be buying it again on Wii.

I couldn't play in in large doses, and gave up part way through the castle - that bit was too long. I sold it, but I'll be buying it again on Wii.

Me too, I thought the gameplay was a bit too repetitive to play for really large doses.