N-Europe

Although my post reminded me Fun released a live set download thing. Listening to it now :D Will post later with my opinions which nobody else will care about (although I know some people have listened to The Format but I can't remember who...)

Going by iTunes then;

The Virgins - One Week of Danger (Demo version)

Gotta love sexual songs. And the demo version just works better in my mind.

Fun - Benson Hedges

Quotably obscure lyrics ("Somewhere between James Dean and Mr O'Reiley I've come to find that I can't be defined") and I do fanboy them.

Delays - Hooray

Upbeat and fun, always perks me up.

Death Cab For Cutie - The Ice Is Getting Thinner

The opposite of the above, but in a good way.

Ben Folds - Bitch Went Nuts/You Don't Know Me (feat. Regina Spektor)

So I cheated. Bitch Went Nuts has an awesome intro (The bitch went nuts / She stabbed my basketball / And the speakers to my stereo / She called me 'cunt') and Regina and Ben play off each other so well in YDKM.

Sam Sparro - Cut Me Loose

Makes me want to dance like the bad whiteboy dancer I am!

Nada Surf - Beautiful Beat

A lovely optimistic little song.

Louis XIV - There's A Traitor In This Room

Again, sexual stuff. Plus upbeat and energetic.

Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor

Again, makes me want to shake my tailfeather.

Martha Wainwright - Bleeding All Over You

A very poetic song plus it features the album name (which blatantly wins best album name of the year. fact!) "I know you're married but I have feelings too."

In no order, and more of a "hey these ten struck me as I searched through iTunes" thing than actually putting thought into it.

(Excluded anything from 'A Cross the Universe' as thats technically old)

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Martha Wainwright - Bleeding All Over You

A very poetic song plus it features the album name (which blatantly wins best album name of the year. fact!) "I know you're married but I have feelings too."

Not even going to lie to you Ashley, that was my no.11. Seriosly.

Love the first half so much, that I know hardly any of the second half the album (except See Emily Play, obviously).

Not even going to lie to you Ashley, that was my no.11. Seriosly.

Love the first half so much, that I know hardly any of the second half the album (except See Emily Play, obviously).

Im like that with the album. Some great lyrics in there, although none spring to mind ^_^

Also for those in uproar about X-Factor and Hallelujah, campaign time! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=66500765224

I don't think theres been magic for years. I don't normally care about the X factor but the fact its won for the last what, five years (or more?) theres no suprise/intruige/mystery left anymore. That was part of the fun, now its guaranteed the x factor contestant will win.

In no particular order, my Top 10 of 2008.

Foot Village – Protective Nourishment

Primal, fun a fucking tiring. It's drumming and shouting and it comes right from the gut.

Marnie Stern – Steely

Soccer Mom master of tapping, Marnie Stern's second album is utterly fantastic and this song is my current favourite. The lyrics and more refined but her guitar playing is still as wild as ever. And it has Zach Hill on drums! BONUS!

Ponytail – Beg Waves

Certainly one of the best bands of 2008 and their song 'Beg Waves' may well be my favourite. Just a bundle of fun and twice as loud.

Portishead – The Rip

Portishead came back with a bang, taking great influence from the sound of Broadcast and releasing one of the most taut and interesting singles of the year.

The Mae Shi – Run To Your Grave

Party classic!!

PENS – Hate Your Calender

Pens are my favourite band of 2008 and it's a shame I discovered them so late! They sound like KaitO minus the men and with cheaper, more stripped down equipment. They're a hell of a lot of fun and they're young and attractive to boot. 'Hate Your Calender' is undoubtedly one of the many highlights of their live show and will feature on their debut album, released Feb 09' via De Stijl records.

Nik Void – Eleventh Century

Highly evocative of NEU! one of the most important bands of the last 40 years, 'Eleventh Century' is an 11-minute piece, mainly solo guitar work. The most relaxing song of the year and at the same time one of the most exciting.

The Fall – 50 Year Old Man

30 years since their inception and The Fall are still going strong and in their 30th year, their legendary front man Mark E Smith turned 50 and he wrote a song about it. A hit at live shows prior to the albums release, the band took the original 3-minute track and turned it into an 11-minute tour of The Fall, past, present and future.

Fuck Buttons – Colours Move (Mogwai Remix)

The original was already fantastic, but it lacked a touch of subtlety, something that Mogwai applied in their wonderful collaboration with Fuck Buttons. Completely changes it sonically, but the atmosphere and the mood swings that 'Colours Move' sends you on are still there in full force.

Richard Dunn – She Has No Grace

"Hit her in the face... Put her in her place." Tim and Eric strike gold again with this bizarre 2-minute long pop ballad that swiftly cuts through such topics as violence, sexism, delayed midi piano, relaxation tapes and the inability of Richard Dunn to remember lines.

In no particular order:

1. Gavin DeGraw - In Love With A Girl

2. Glasvegas - Daddy's Gone

3. Glass Pear - Last Day of Your Life

4. Goo Goo Dolls - Real

5. Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

6. Snow Patrol - Crack The Shutters

7. Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

8. Nickelback - This Afternoon

9. Biffy Clyro - Mountains

10. The Script - Before The Worst

The first one is pretty cool, it's a contempory dance album, "Taut" is the best song off of it:

Polly and John performing Taut on Jools Holland.

I can only imagine this won't go down well, but that was awful.

Was she actually squealing at the beginning?.. The music itself was pretty boring.

My Top 10 Songs of 2008 - In a rough order...

Villains - Remix of Shwayze's (Buzzin)

Love Villains.

Treasure Fingers - Remix of Little Boots' 'Meddle'

DatA - Rapture

Justice - Planisphere

You've probably all heard it, if not go listen to it. My favourite part of it:

Phoenix - Twenty One One Zero

Fantastic band. Great song. One of those I like listening to while walking home half drunk at 3 in the morning.

DESIGNER DRUGS - Remix of Jupiter One's 'Countdown'

Shinichi Osawa - Remix of Plaid - 'White's Dream'

This is my Super Stardust HD music. It's hypnotic. I love it. It was also my alarm for a couple months. :heh:

Little Boots - Stuck on Repeat

Little Boots has been pretty sensational this year. I can only see her getting bigger in the next year.

Sébastien Tellier - L'Amour Et La Violence

His latest album 'Sexuality' came out and it was something else. All phenomenal songs but 'L'Amour Et La Violence' takes the biscuit. I love the video.

Danger

danger21.jpg

Danger has been a revelation this year. I've literally loved everything I've heard and because of this he enters my top ten as an entity in his own right. This has been the backing music to my year which has been the best year of my life so far.

I'll give it to 11h30 since it was the first Danger song I had heard and it reminds me of the summer.

I need to see this man live.

Might have got a few in there from last year...

Daft, post in here more often. That's a sexy list.

(also: that picture of Little Boots is amazing. Brunette chicks in pants and a keyboard for the massive, far too cool electro win)

Will do. I was kind of scared off since every time I came in here the talk seemed to centre on Christina Aguilera or Britney. :heh:

Little Boots is quite the bombshell. 2009'll be a big year for her.

Will do. I was kind of scared off since every time I came in here the talk seemed to centre on Christina Aguilera or Britney. :heh:

Yeah, but I'd way prefer you came in here with your lovely suggestions, than talking about Britney Spears.

I refuse to lie; Little Boots is lovely in my ears.

That facebook group is amusing. I'm not going to join that group or buy "Hallelujah" again, though, already have it on CD twice (On Grace and So Real).

Plus, I don't really care about the No. 1 spot. I didn't even care that much when Sex On Fire got to No. 1, just surprised.

That facebook group is amusing. I'm not going to join that group or buy "Hallelujah" again, though, already have it on CD twice (On Grace and So Real).

Plus, I don't really care about the No. 1 spot. I didn't even care that much when Sex On Fire got to No. 1, just surprised.

Plus, surely it's a little ironic that no one has realised if it got beaten to number one it would actually get more attention due to the shock of it than if it reached number one and therefore probably more exposure.

Plus, surely it's a little ironic that no one has realised it got beaten to number one it would actually get more attention due to the shock of it than if it reached number one and therefore probably more exposure.

It's about making a point. It could be anyone's version of Hallelujah, or really, just ANY other song.

Not about exposure/success.

It's about making a point. It could be anyone's version of Hallelujah, or really, just ANY other song.

Not about exposure/success.

Hah, well then that's absolutely stupid. You want generations to know she didn't sing the original/hear the superior version and yet you are willing to attempt to achieve this by chosing a way that will infact increase exposure of the cover so in turn probably get more people listening to it.

I see no point, just stupidity.

Hah, well then that's absolutely stupid. You want generations to know she didn't sing the original/hear the superior version and yet you are willing to attempt to achieve this by chosing a way that will infact increase exposure of the cover so in turn probably get more people listening to it.

I see no point, just stupidity.

It's also telling people that X-Factor isn't an easy route to the Christmas chart and hence the end of Simon Cowell's big Christmas payday.

But it's clear that you love the show far too much to see it's detrimental effect on what's already a ruined music chart.

But its us that make it that way. Jeez, calm down people, its really not that big of a deal.

you can blame corporate this and reality tv that, but at the end of the day the BRITISH PUBLIC buy the cd's that get in the number 1 slot.

Well the public have to get the ideas from somewhere. If the X-Factor was replaced with something which had a more punk-rock influence, for example, would it still do well. I'd say so. I think you're underestimating the amount of influence that shows like X-Factor have on the public.

Little Boots is quite the bombshell. 2009'll be a big year for her.

I literally don't know why I bother to keep up with this thread.

But its us that make it that way. Jeez, calm down people, its really not that big of a deal.

you can blame corporate this and reality tv that, but at the end of the day the BRITISH PUBLIC buy the cd's that get in the number 1 slot.

And yet we have this massive collective conciousness about being individuals and not led by others. Yet the media determines what we do and don't buy. :)

Plus if I don't watch programmes like the X-Factor (Big Brother etc...) I feel like I'm missing out in wonderful conversations in social settings. :indeed:

Anyway...Damien Rice and the Polyphonic Spree are right back on my listening radar:

Sublime. Utterly sublime.