NEurope

People who make games have a better taste in games! People who make sandwiches have a better taste in sandwiches! People who make wardrobes have a better taste in wardrobes!

.. hey maybe there's some truth in there ;) But doesn't mean I will prefer the games they choose, the sandwiches they make, the wardrobes they choose, y'know? I think it's just silly to say "my taste in music is better than yours because I play GEETARRR!".

People who write books read only the best. They why the fuck are there so many shite books out there? You know what I mean?

Simple fact of the matter is; everyone believes that THEY have the best taste, and everybody else is alway slightly off at best.

No point trying to attribute that to whether you play an instrument or not.

People who make games have a better taste in games! People who make sandwiches have a better taste in sandwiches! People who make wardrobes have a better taste in wardrobes!

.. hey maybe there's some truth in there ;) But doesn't mean I will prefer the games they choose, the sandwiches they make, the wardrobes they choose, y'know? I think it's just silly to say "my taste in music is better than yours because I play GEETARRR!".

People who write books read only the best. They why the fuck are there so many shite books out there? You know what I mean?

Simple fact of the matter is; everyone believes that THEY have the best taste, and everybody else is alway slightly off at best.

amusingly enough, I actually do have the best taste in music ever! Who'd of thought it eh?

People do not make games, teams make games, so it's not a singular vision. They're not professional "game makers" they're professional artists, or programmers etc, and they have better insight into their field of expertise than someone who is not. Therefore they're better licensed to comment on particular aspects of the game, graphics etc. As for books, any jackass can write a book, writing is a skill taught in school, compulsory education. People who write shit books are obviously people who haven't studied literature, and often have nothing of interest to say, thus resulting in banal shiteness.

Music on the other hand, is not taught to everyone. And more often than not, music consists of a primary instrument with others in support.

As for Sandwiches and Wardrobes, well, I wouldn't consider either to be art. Your argument wasn't very well thought out. In fact it was just plain stupid.

i like

Lost Prophets

Feeder

Muse

Killswitch-engage

senses fail

Trivum

foo fighters

rage against the machine

Dragon force

SugarCult

Underoath

:D

currently gorging on a Trentemoller mix of We Share Our Mother's Health by The Knife.

currently under review due to suspicion that it is, indeed, phatter than yo momma.

Been listening to some AC/DC recently. Great band, and they've got some killer choons.

"well its a long waaaay to the top if you want to rock and roll!" :D

And bagpipes. How awesome. I've been humming the intro guitar bit for weeks now.

Frou Frou is awesome....... That is all

Nelly Furtado - Loose is a suprisingly good album.

Agree

As for Sandwiches and Wardrobes, well, I wouldn't consider either to be art. Your argument wasn't very well thought out. In fact it was just plain stupid.

Fine art itself. Artists make art, but theres a lot of art out there people dislike. Same could be said for film and television; just because you make it doesn't mean you make the best film/television there ever could be.

Fine art itself. Artists make art, but theres a lot of art out there people dislike. Same could be said for film and television; just because you make it doesn't mean you make the best film/television there ever could be.

I said nothing about making, I said understanding. Understanding the workings of your trade, it's strengths, it's limits. I'm just saying that if you are an experienced artist, you probably have a great idea of what it is that makes your art work; the reason it's good.

People do not make games, teams make games, so it's not a singular vision. They're not professional "game makers" they're professional artists, or programmers etc, and they have better insight into their field of expertise than someone who is not. Therefore they're better licensed to comment on particular aspects of the game, graphics etc. As for books, any jackass can write a book, writing is a skill taught in school, compulsory education. People who write shit books are obviously people who haven't studied literature, and often have nothing of interest to say, thus resulting in banal shiteness.

Music on the other hand, is not taught to everyone. And more often than not, music consists of a primary instrument with others in support.

I said nothing about making, I said understanding. Understanding the workings of your trade, it's strengths, it's limits. I'm just saying that if you are an experienced artist, you probably have a great idea of what it is that makes your art work; the reason it's good.

just quoted both of your posts for clarity of my own mind.

Let me get this straight. Music is about art and understanding and experience? You're ruling out writing as an art form; whatever, that's a totally different discussion :P.

You are approaching the argument from the creators point of view - art or not, it doesn't matter. Not everyone agrees that music is an art form, you know. What you're saying is the creator has more experience and a greater understanding about the field they work in -now, put like that, it's a cohesive argument.

But the problem is, we're talking about listening to music. It's all about the other end to the spectrum you are talking of. When you create music, or a book, or a film, or a painting, you are doing it because you want to create some sort of opinion on the viewer, listener, reader; the audience. It is about the audience's opinions. Most people who go to a gallery or read a book or go to the cinema or listen to music have little-to-none, in terms of experience in creating the art form. So do their opinions not matter?

I can totally see how you can say "ultimately their opinions are worthless because it does not help further the creating process"... But is that really what listening to music, looking at a painting is all about?

While it's true that you want to question what the creator's intentions were, what is more important to you is how you react to it, what it means to you.

And we're all different 'you''s, which is why i think it's useless to say that anyone who doesn't play an instrument has no worth in what they say. Of course they do. Even though most of us don't paint, we could all suggest what The Scream means to us. I think that would be a lot better a topic than simply "what do you think of the techniques used by Da Vinci?", you know?

It's in differences of opinion that new ideas arise from. That's important. If you refuse to listen to what other people think, especially the people who listen to your music that you create, you risk losing their opinion, their respect altogether.

And besides, this is "The Music Thread", not "The Musician's Thread" :)

All very fair points. I tend to look at music from a musicians point of view, even if it's not something that affects me on a personal level, so I hope you can understand why I tend to be opinionated. Still, I like to think that if you're a musician it helps you warm to other kinds of music, not just stuff thats popular or suits your image or whatever. Either way, it's the way it affects the listener that's important, otherwise all art is meaningless. Good point.

Still, I like to think that if you're a musician it helps you warm to other kinds of music, not just stuff thats popular or suits your image or whatever.

Going by what you normally post in music threads it doesnt seem to have helped you :p

I get why you are saying musicians have a better understanding of music. In a lot of ways you do, when you hear a guitar part you can see it being played out in you're mind etc but is it not harder for you to hear the overall piece as a result?

Nelly Furtado - Loose is a suprisingly good album.
The music's not bad, but I hate the way she whored herself to hiphop and Timbaland. Nothing against Timbaland, but from her old light-hearted tunes to this mess makes her seem really fake to me. And I hate listening to fake music.

All very fair points. I tend to look at music from a musicians point of view, even if it's not something that affects me on a personal level, so I hope you can understand why I tend to be opinionated. Still, I like to think that if you're a musician it helps you warm to other kinds of music, not just stuff thats popular or suits your image or whatever. Either way, it's the way it affects the listener that's important, otherwise all art is meaningless. Good point.

art *is* meaningless. that's why it's so good :)

I like Kanye West. I wanna see him in concert sometime.

Who have other forum members seen live in concert, and who would you just love to see?

Seen : Bon Jovi, Nickleback and 'seeing' McFly next month.

Want to see : Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones.

Seen: Muse with support from Noisettes, Enter Shikari with support from yourcodenameis:milo and Chinese Finger Trap and MCR with support from Thursday.

大塚愛 (Ai Otsuka) - Strawberry Jam

is the cutest song ever! Thanks Laguna :wink:

Who have other forum members seen live in concert, and who would you just love to see?

Seen : Bon Jovi, Nickleback and 'seeing' McFly next month.

Want to see : Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones.

Kind of embarrAsing, but seen: eminem, cyprus hill, xzibit, various other artists of similar genre.

want to see: Dir en Grey, coheed and cambria

:heart:

'seeing' McFly

'seeing' McFly. What is the '' for? Are you actually smelling them?

'seeing' McFly. What is the '' for? Are you actually smelling them?

Well we are only going to see them for a bit of fun as they are in the area. Not as serious fans! It's not often we get big names here in North Wales.

Gigs I've been too.. Zebrahead, Brand New, Hundred Reasons, The Used, Jimmy Eat World... Saw McFly!... I mean, they were at the back of the crowd at The Used.

Can't really remember who I saw at Reading... Alexisonfire, Jet, Slayer, My Chemical Romance, Less Than Jake, The Racontours, Panic!, Fightstar, Eagles Of Death Metal (ace!), Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fall Out Boy, Belle and Sebastian, The Subways, Dashboard Confessional, Bullet For My Valentine, Placebo, Taking Back Sunday, Killswitch Engage, Mastodon, Coheed, The Fratellis for a bit.. and bits of arctic monkeys, muse, franz, etc.

I would have seen better bands, but I was too busy having a mental breakdown :)