NEurope

I've been listening to The Best of The Proclaimers for most of the day and to be fair they have some pretty good catchy songs. I uised to hate 500 Miles, but now I am starting to like it after having it down my ear all the time since Friday!

Because you're not allowed an opinion on music unless you're a musician....

...sorry, I'll leave now...

:heh:

:bowdown:

You know... it actually works the other way 'round... usually music critics are frustrated musician wannabe's. :D Usually.

90's for the win.

Agreed. Except you like Blur. I disagree with that. :D

If I'd have to say I was a fan of anything now, it would be indie. Hmm. I'm not really a great follower of the charts anymore (who is?) or the "new bands on the block." I'll go about my daily business, and if I hear a song that clicks with me I'll research it or something and find out who sang it, etc. That was how I got into The Gossip, Mercury Rev and The Ordinary Boys.

What I don't like is when a new band are overplayed, as that means you can't develop an interest with them. You just get sick and tired of hearing about them and it becomes more of a fad than anything.

:bowdown:

You know... it actually works the other way 'round... usually music critics are frustrated musician wannabe's. :D Usually.

Of course what you're forgetting is that I really can't take non-musician critics seriously enough to give a crap about what they think. Playing music is an integral part to having a deeper understanding of it, although that really depends on what you categorise as music.

Of course what you're forgetting is that I really can't take non-musician critics seriously enough to give a crap about what they think. Playing music is an integral part to having a deeper understanding of it, although that really depends on what you categorise as music.

that's iffy bollocks. I'm sure you can get a deeper meaning from the music if you understand that - but what about lyrics? If you're not a poet then clearly you're not getting the most out of a song, going by what you say.

The lyrics are what I like the best in my songs. Of course you need both good music and good lyrics, but isn't it just down to what any individual thinks sounds good?

In the end, your opinion counts just as much as his, regardless of musical background. Personally I'd listen more to what my mates say about a musician or a song than someone from Oasis or Megadeath or whatever, because it comes down to personal taste too.

I'm not the kind of person who really tries to find "deeper meaning" in lyrics attatched to music. The meaning behind the lyrics tends to be rather plain, and as far as I'm concerned, in most music they're only there to either paper over the cracks in musicianship, or to provide something for people who wouldn't understand the music by itself. I prefer to concentrate more on the music itself, it's structures, the nuances of the musicians.

That is true of some lyrics. But there are a fair few artists who write incredible lyrics with excellent word play and a much deeper meaning.

Less Than Jake for instance, that song "Dopeman". That's well deep. That is.

I'm not the kind of person who really tries to find "deeper meaning" in lyrics attatched to music. The meaning behind the lyrics tends to be rather plain, and as far as I'm concerned, in most music they're only there to either paper over the cracks in musicianship, or to provide something for people who wouldn't understand the music by itself. I prefer to concentrate more on the music itself, it's structures, the nuances of the musicians.

No offence, but that sounds like an excuse for lack of poetic talent. A good piece of music has all the things you say, fantastic music should add good lyrics, too.

Music isn't about the lyrics for me. If I wan't poetic talent, I'll go read some Milton. Music is about the sounds that aren't attatched to some outside meaning. You don't need poetic talent to be a good musician. Poetry and music are two totally separate things.

man you listen to music for the MUSIC not for lyrics..Unless of course you like rap then it's the other way round. We had this argument before but honestly to completely understand music fully you do need to be or have been a musician. Some people think it's easy until they try and suck

man you listen to music for the MUSIC not for lyrics..Unless of course you like rap then it's the other way round. We had this argument before but honestly to completely understand music fully you do need to be or have been a musician. Some people think it's easy until they try and suck

That's fair enough but you can't deny us the right to have our own personal opinions on what music we like/dislike. That's the only thing that gets on my nerves!

Music isn't about the lyrics for me. If I wan't poetic talent, I'll go read some Milton. Music is about the sounds that aren't attatched to some outside meaning. You don't need poetic talent to be a good musician. Poetry and music are two totally separate things.

unless you're the smiths

Just picked up LCD Soundsystem's new album after work. Loving it so far, seems to be flowing a bit nicer that their debut

Got Enter Shikari's album too but not had a chance to listen to that yet

I heard Shiny Toy Guns for the first time today and I'm in love with them.

Switch Enter Shikari's album is mint but to truly appreciate them you must see them live.

Oh shit I'm not a musician and I just gave 2 opinions*runs away*.

unless you're the smiths

Or Simon & Garfunkle. Or Bob Dylan. Or a rap artist. An actual rap artist. None of that MTV 50-Cent-shite, y'hear?

I heard Shiny Toy Guns for the first time today and I'm in love with them.

Switch Enter Shikari's album is mint but to truly appreciate them you must see them live.

Oh shit I'm not a musician and I just gave 2 opinions*runs away*.

Ive been trying to see them live, not had any luck yet. Will probably catch them at Leeds festival this year, pain in the arse that they will clash with Interpol though :(

If not then im getting tickets for their next tour

Or Simon & Garfunkle. Or Bob Dylan. Or a rap artist. An actual rap artist. None of that MTV 50-Cent-shite, y'hear?

very true. My example was just the first one I came up with. I think The Smiths had a particiularly strong partnership of lyrics and music though, even more than simon and garfunkle.

I think it's arrogant to say that you can only understand music fully as a musician. Not being a musician doesn't make my opinion worth anything less. It seems a lame excuse to say "You don't like it because you don't understand." That's BS. Maybe I don't have the talent to play music, but that doesn't mean I can't understand what I hear. Those are in fact, two entirely different things.

I think it's arrogant to say that you can only understand music fully as a musician. Not being a musician doesn't make my opinion worth anything less. It seems a lame excuse to say "You don't like it because you don't understand." That's BS. Maybe I don't have the talent to play music, but that doesn't mean I can't understand what I hear. Those are in fact, two entirely different things.

I totally agree.

Infact I just ignore opinions by stuck up narrow minded fools.

Maybe it is, but I don't give a shit. Maybe I am an arrogant fuck, but from my experience, accomplished musicians have a better understanding of music than people who just listen to it. I can understand why you're indignant, you don't play an instrument, so you're probably offended by it. Ask any decent musician on this forum, Mcj, JonSt to name a couple, and they'll agree with me.

Of course musicians have passion for music and have good knowledge about it, but that doesn't rule out non-musician's opinions. We actually may know what we're talking about even if we don't actively play an instrument.

Of course musicians have passion for music and have good knowledge about it, but that doesn't rule out non-musician's opinions. We actually may know what we're talking about even if we don't actively play an instrument.

I know. I never said it did. All I said was that musicians are likely to have more informed opinions.

I know. I never said it did. All I said was that musicians are likely to have more informed opinions.

Depends on who you ask and what you class as an "informed opinion."

I can't beleive no-one has mentioned how great arctic monkeys are. Now they combine great sounds and lyrics better than anyone around at the minute. Anyone going to see them at Lancashire(sp?) cricket ground?