• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Manhunt 2 Re-Banned

High Court blocks Manhunt 2

Phil Elliott 09:22 (BST) 25/01/2008

Judge orders Appeals Committee to rethink decision on legal flaw

Rockstar's battle to get Manhunt 2 on to the shelves of UK stores took another twist yesterday as the High Court ruled against the Video Appeals Committee, who had previously overturned the British Board of Film Classification's decision to prevent the game from going on sale.

Mr Justice Mitting told the committee that it must reconsider its decision, reached by a narrow majority, because it had committed a "clear error of law" in relating the game to the question of harm.

According to a report in The Metro the BBFC had argued that the VAC's original decision had threatened to undermine its position as a content watchdog, not just for videogames but for other entertainment genres, such as film.

The result means that publisher Rockstar, who had attempted to submit a new edition based on the cuts made for the now-passed and M-rated US edition of the game, is still unable to sell the game in the UK.

[/Quote]

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32436

Lol. Sure the game isn't that bad? I think they are just goin a bit too far and making an example out of this in particular.

Not that its even meant to be a great game.

It's not even about the game anymore...

According to a report in The Metro the BBFC had argued that the VAC's original decision had threatened to undermine its position as a content watchdog, not just for videogames but for other entertainment genres, such as film.

It's just about their reputation.

Yeah, everyone has passed caring about this now. If they had gotten it banned, then unbanned quickly and released, alot of people would have bought it out of principle. Now, nobody cares and it's just about the ego's of the two organisations.

• 1 month later...

"(...) However, the Video Appeals Committee has again exercised its independent scrutiny. It is now clear, in the light of this decision, and our legal advice, that we have no alternative but to issue an ‘18’ certificate to the game."

Haha, BBFC = pwn3d finally.

I don't really care for the game anymore either, but it SHOULD be released. Fuck the BBFC.

I wouldn't build your hopes up on this being amazingly fantastic because frankly it isn't.

It's a good, thriller type game, which comes across quite old-fashioned now, thankfully the wii-controls are very good!

Afterall this hyping up about how sick it is, sure..i suppose it's the sickest game out there, but i think it's got too much attention and anyones high expectations could well be squashed after playing it for an hour or so...

Thats my opinion anyway! To be honest, i wouldn't of bothered trying to release it here now, it will draw unwanted attention to the games industry which could see some huge changes because of it, and that won't be good!

Wish they released the unaltered version, just to see how sick it REALLY was.

So is the game good fun Owen or really average? I'm tempted by it, especially when it's in a sale!

It's fun because it has a great thriller type story, i suppose it could be still worth a purchase because of that! The killing is pretty sick, obviously, but the wii controls are very good, i give it that! Other then that the gameplay is quite average.

If you've played the first one, you'll like this (i personally think it's slightly better then the first).

• 6 months later...
And here we go again...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/916/916595p1.html

They mention that its slated for a late October release in Europe... Hadn't heard about that.

Yeah, October 31st. It's pretty pointless, they've literally butchered their own game to high hell. Considering it still got banned when there was NO visible violence, only suggestions of it, this really doesn't bode well for MadWorld. :(

Yeah, October 31st. It's pretty pointless, they've literally butchered their own game to high hell. Considering it still got banned when there was NO visible violence, only suggestions of it, this really doesn't bode well for MadWorld. :(

COMPLETELY different. Madworld will be fine. It was the REAL depiction of violence and the context it was in. You can't get more violent than Mortal Kombat yet thats been fine since day 1. Madworld is so stylised and cartoony it will be absolutely fine!

COMPLETELY different. Madworld will be fine. It was the REAL depiction of violence and the context it was in. You can't get more violent than Mortal Kombat yet thats been fine since day 1. Madworld is so stylised and cartoony it will be absolutely fine!

The SNES version of MK1 begs to differ :)