NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

The AOC one is a very good TV. I've got the 27" version and would highly recommend it for it's price. Bearing in mind I know nothing about TVs though.

Yeah but the picture isnt half as good as the Samsung.

that really depends on what you're using the TV for though

and yes the Samsung is a better telly, but it's more expensive because of it :P

plus the model you linked is last years, and you can get this years better model for like £50-60 more

You can get this years 26" Sammy for less than Play are charging for the old one. Silly how well these TVs have kept their value

Getting one tommorow found a bargin

Local TJ Hughes

£300 32" Telephonic PC Input Full HD Ready

My 23" Samsung R7 cost me £500. They ripped me off big time. Very pissed off about it. First chance I get, I'm getting a refund.

been looking at this years Samsungs, might get a 32" for Chirtsmas as i'm gonna get a 360 Elite and Virgin HD soon.

2 months ago.

Christ! Where from?!!?! The 32" version has been available cheaper than that since release!

I need a bit of advice with my new TV, it's a Samsung SM940MW, I'm running my Wii through it with a component cable, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't look half as good as it did through my hulking great CRT downstairs and an RGB cable. Is there a way to coax a bit more out of it, or does anyone know a sweet-spot for contrast/sharpness settings etc? Or am I asking too much considering it only cost like 220 quid?

I've heard if you turn the Sharpness down it helps. I think thats what I heard anyway.:)

Christ! Where from?!!?! The 32" version has been available cheaper than that since release!

I know, I know. That's why the first chance I get, I'm getting a refund. I got it from Comet by the way. Last time I buy anything from them.

I need a bit of advice with my new TV, it's a Samsung SM940MW, I'm running my Wii through it with a component cable, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't look half as good as it did through my hulking great CRT downstairs and an RGB cable. Is there a way to coax a bit more out of it, or does anyone know a sweet-spot for contrast/sharpness settings etc? Or am I asking too much considering it only cost like 220 quid?

Turn down the sharpness to the minimum. My games looked like horse shit on my TV too, but when I did that, it was cool again. Also, when you sit right next to the tv, you can notice jaggies and stuff far more, so sit a little bit away.

You think if my TV was to fall off my desk purely accidentally, my parents/insurance would buy me a nice new, HD one? :p

I've been looking for one for awhile. The current TV I have I just measured at 14", and my monitor at 17". Is there any good ones going for less than £200 (the cheaper the better)? I don't mind on size, aslong as it's at least 14", to match my current set.

Also, when you sit right next to the tv, you can notice jaggies and stuff far more, so sit a little bit away.

Unfortunately in a room my size I can't really get any further away from it. After tinkering with it for a fortnight I'm almost happy with the picture quality, but being a sad bastard I took photos of the screen then set it up downstairs on the old TV, the difference it still there.

You did go into your Wii options and set it to HD right?

I have, unless there's something other than the 480i option hidden within the catacombs of the menu.

I was fed up with trying to get water out of a stone so I traded the bloody thing in for what I thought was an upgrade (http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/lcdtvmonitors/ls19dowssedc.asp for http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/lcdtvmonitors/ls22crasbedc.asp) but the picture quality is actually worse. For some reason it decides that it doesn't care for black and would much rather give everything a purple hew in dark areas. I've made up my mind that these LCD TVs are shit and they may as well go back to making the old style ones.

You probably got some dodgy 3rd party panel. It's the gamble you take when you buy Samsung unfortunately :(

plus you've also bought a monitor rather than an actual tv

plus in response to McPhee, all Samsungs panels on their latest LCD TVs are the same no matter who made them

plus you've also bought a monitor rather than an actual tv

I'll admit that I'm not really up on this sort of thing, but why should that make a difference? Surely if it has the right inputs in the back and it's being sold as a TV (in Argos at least) it should work properly as one?

Well the colour thing is probably down to tuning or a bad panel, the rest is down to resolution. Scaling is VERY BAD and the further over 720x480 you go the worse the picture quality will be. This is counteracted by good picture processing, which a monitor won't have because the processing is intended to be done by a computer

Well the colour thing is probably down to tuning or a bad panel, the rest is down to resolution. Scaling is VERY BAD and the further over 720x480 you go the worse the picture quality will be. This is counteracted by good picture processing, which a monitor won't have because the processing is intended to be done by a computer

So for the money (under £300) what's the best TV (and I'll try to avoid monitors) I can get (loads of things in brackets). () ()

Theres a 26" LG set over at Digital Direct. £299 IIRC

It's not a particularly current model but it has a good rep as being a reliable set and is close in performance to the Samsung R7 series sets that most people on here have

Someone point me in the direction of a good HDTV?

I want something 32+ and be used for general tv watching (not HD but I need a new TV and future proofing myself) and gaming on my Wii and any possible new consoles I may get.

Looking for now more than £600 really.