NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

I'd like to have a better resolution than my current one (that is 720p like my current one).

Edit: It also has no component, which I need.

I've found this one:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-sm2333hd-23-widescreen-1080p-lcd-tv-monitor-02380491-pdt.html#tab-tech-specs

I'm trying to figure out what the catch is.

Edited by Cube

Well, it's a monitor with a DTV tuner, not a TV. Still, it looks nice.

Well, it's a monitor with a DTV tuner, not a TV. Still, it looks nice.

I never quite understood what the difference was/is. You plug stuff in the back and it shows a clear picture on the front.

I never quite understood what the difference was/is. You plug stuff in the back and it shows a clear picture on the front.

Mainly: TVs (should have) got better speakers and you can plug other stuff into the back, too. Like scart and component cables. These Samsungs are hybrids between both. I have got a similar screen from Samsung (Syncmaster T240HD) for the PC and the Wii and found it to be good value for the price. As long as I don't rely on the internal speakers... ;)

Hey guys!

I'm considering getting a Sony KDL52Z4500 as I've gotten myself the opportunity to buy one for £866.

It's a 200Mhz 52" LCD Sony screen and it usually retailed for about £1841 when it was new.

Anyone here have any experience with this screen or similar ones?

I've tried looking up reviews and they all basically said it was too expensive, but in my situation, that's not the case =P

I really don't know much about TV's, any tips would help! =D

I have a question: I'm contemplating getting a Blu-ray player. Do I need an HD TV in order to get the benefits of Blu-ray?

Yes. Otherwise it is rather silly.

Unless you like the added extras/features of BDs.

Actually I'd guess that most blu ray players will only have HDMI output.

On the above I see absolutely no point getting a BD player unless you have an HDTV. The only exception for me would be if you're buying a PS3 and intend on getting one later.

I do have my own question too. What are currently good HDTV's, 32-37 inch for around $500. I've looked on Amazon and Panasonic/Samsungs seem to come in at around that level price, but I have no idea what the best models to go for are. Any recommendations?

Because we're moving in that direction. DVDs are slowly becoming obsolete. Everything is being released on Blu-ray now in cool, limited editions.

For a hell of a lot of extra money though. You're probably better of just buying DVD's now then when you do get a BD player just re-buy the ones you really want.

How soon do you think you'll be getting a HDTV?

Also, do Blu-Ray players have non-HD connections?

As Will said - Blu Ray is designed specifically for High Definition format, that is at least 720p. Standard Definition displays are 576i so trying to display HD is useless. You need a HDTV or Monitor with the correct resolution. HDMI is the standard input/output.

The cheapest method? You can get a 1080p monitor for less than £200, but that doesn't really apply if you are looking for a home cinema. The PS3 is the obvious choice of Blu Ray player being a gaming forum 'n' all.

It's not something I've really planned, more something I've pondered a bit. That's why I wanted to ask in here for advice on the matter.

And advice I have received! Thanks, guys. : peace:

Do it Dannyboy. Join us. Buy a PS3, then a HDTV which is slightly larger than you need. Then a host of movies you already own just because they look better, like The Dark Knight Returns and Inception.

Then buy a racing wheel for GT5, even if you don't like racing games. Rest it on your ironing board for two months until you get bored of the game and then put it in the cupboard along with your Rock Band and Guitar Hero instruments.

I re-bought the whole of BSG on Blu-Ray just because it looks better. That and the DVD is missing quite a few extended episodes (such as the epic full version of the final episode).

Do it Dannyboy. Join us. Buy a PS3, then a HDTV which is slightly larger than you need. Then a host of movies you already own just because they look better, like The Dark Knight Returns and Inception.

Then buy a racing wheel for GT5, even if you don't like racing games. Rest it on your ironing board for two months until you get bored of the game and then put it in the cupboard along with your Rock Band and Guitar Hero instruments.

... so ... tempted ...

Here's something that's really odd: The Sony BRAVIA KDL22PX300. It really sounds quite bizarre yet really good for the price, too.

It's a 22" LCD (720p) at around £199 and has the following

- 4 HDMI inputs

- Three USB Ports

- Other video inputs (the usual scart/component/etc)

- Two optical audio outputs, analogue audio output and headphone socket

- Internet TV (BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Lovefilm) - connection through ethernet or USB WiFi dongle.

- Freeview

- PS2

sony-kdl22px300.jpg

Although I think it would look much better if the utterly random addition that is the PS2 was built into the back of the TV - it looks rather ugly how it is.

Perhaps it won't be long until Sony release a 3D HDTV with Android and built-in PS3 and HD Freeview.

I would've probably got that TV if it didn't mean downgrading a bit and I didn't already have a PS2. It is a bit ugly mind, but it's still a really good price.

Naw, projectors are where it's at. GT5 ain't the same until the car you see on screen is bigger than it is in real life and your £200 Logitech racing wheel looks comically undersized :p

Seriously, do eet! In regret only going with a 42"er...

the thing with 3d is that not everyone can watch it.... if EVERYTHING goes 3d all us poor sods with only one eye or no depth perception are having to piss off and watch regular tv.

I'm so not gutted about "missing out" but if everything is in this new expensive format (tv's and dvd's) i will shake my fist angrily! angrily!!!