N-Europe

Stocka

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jordan

Credit crunch? What credit crunch?

Rebuilding the old server... its going from 8 HDD's down to 3!

Bought:

samsung-hd103uj-pers.jpg

2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD's. These lovelies are replacing 4x 200GB and 3x120GB drives from yester-year...

£73.56 each

R0135584-01.jpg

Cheapy "Mesh" case from ebuyer, no PSU... Already have a nice one. This is replacing my heavy, old and breaking Antec server case. Yes, its cheap... but its small and quiet :p

£19.57

sata-2-2-internal-external-card.jpg

2 Port SATA card (not one shown in the picture)

£9.99 (Cheap, but reliable)

Keeping the existing Pentium 3 1ghz CPU, Motherboard and 1GB SDR RAM until I can afford to upgrade the PC to have an Intel Atom dual core.

Oh and paid my solicitor another £250... £221 to go ¬_¬.

Keeping the existing Pentium 3 1ghz CPU, Motherboard and 1GB SDR RAM until I can afford to upgrade the PC to have an Intel Atom dual core.

Oh and paid my solicitor another £250... £221 to go ¬_¬.

I always though Atom was more netbook oriented than server oriented?

anywho, got it a few days ago but

valkyria_chronicles_ps3_box.jpg

One of the top games on PS3, too bad it's having abysmal sales everywhere it seems.

Guest Jordan
I always though Atom was more netbook oriented than server oriented?

Its only a file server, and a dual core 1.6ghz is faster than a single Pentium 3 1ghz :D

Why do people here have servers? Whhhy? I mean, I know why people have servers... but why people here?

To like, store files on?

I wanted the experience of having a server and running stuff on it. I was studying a HNC in computing, so some of the stuff was quite vital, and the college I went to was useless. Because I was a night student and worked during the day I had VERY little access to the resources there

And did I mention storing files? and backups and emails and all sorts of wonderous things i haven't worked out. You can also host a website on a server tooooo. (but that means it has to be on 24/7, ne)

To like, store files on?

I wanted the experience of having a server and running stuff on it. I was studying a HNC in computing, so some of the stuff was quite vital, and the college I went to was useless. Because I was a night student and worked during the day I had VERY little access to the resources there

And did I mention storing files? and backups and emails and all sorts of wonderous things i haven't worked out. You can also host a website on a server tooooo. (but that means it has to be on 24/7, ne)

It just seemed strange to me to want to have a server instead of shoving a few more HDD in your PC.

Guest Jordan
It just seemed strange to me to want to have a server instead of shoving a few more HDD in your PC.

My server requires far less power than my desktop, so I leave that on during the day. It also means that all my files are in one place and all my other devices can access it. I'm just playing around with mine because its has far too many HDD's and its getting loud as hell...

Oh undoubtedly. Most anything newer than 8 years old will be better.

Its low power and passively cooled... Plus its stupidly reliable considering its age.

The Orange Box (360) - £14.98 :yay:

Burnout Paradise (PS3) - £14.98

Two awesome games are ridiculous prices. Had The Orange Box before and got rid of it and have been really wanting to get back into it, mainly for Team Fortress 2. So now I have it, there will be epic long nights spent playing it. MEDIC! :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!