N-Europe

What has happened to disney?

mcj metroid

does anybody miss else miss the traditional disney movies?i know Pixar have arguably saved disney from death.So much so that some people wonder why don't they just change the name to pixar

by traditional i mean hand drawn with limited computer usage.

i think the pixar and dreamworks movies these days are getting boring with the sytyle.With toy story it was amzing,finding nemo amzing water effects,monsters inc amzing hair effects,Incredibles first real one with a human storyline.but now it's hit a brick.now cars was goodish but Never as good as the classics.

i think that others feel the same way and i do think 2d will make a return eventually.

my favourite disney movie=Lion king

whats yours?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pixar really went downhill after Finding Nemo, I don't know why but the previous films just weren't up to scratch. Toy Story 1 and 2 and A Bug's Life were Pixar's high point and some of the best movies ever. Disney went downhill aswell with all these rubbishy straight to DVD releases such as Pocahontas 2 and Lilo and Stich films (shudder).

I totally miss the old style Disney flicks. I loved all the songs and stories but now they seem to just churn out rubbish at the cinema and sequel after sequel on dvd. The problem is the whole 3D animated feature, these types of films have killed Disney off and they have saturated the film market. Its stupid how many of these films are being made now.

Best Disney for me is Lion King. I also love Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Hercules and Mulan.

They all seem to be generic shite nowadays. Whatever Disney does, Dreamworks copies and vice versa. I said this on another forum but it just seems they're churning out bullshit as quick as possible just for the sake that they can. As if they're trying to make up for the lack of technology around 30 years ago.

I watched The Little Mermaid a few nights ago. As good as I remember it. Hard to believe they're now squeezing out crap like Cars nowadays...

i think part of the problem has been the wests general attitude towards cartoons as being for kids and they they have to get better and better looking.

The japanese outlook towards cartoons is so different, they dont have to be the best looking to be appreciated. I was watching totoro last week and was surprised that it was actually quite old, it doesnt look aged at all.

The Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet.

Yup, you're exactly right.

My girlfriend's mother told her this about a year ago, and explained to her why it was so. So, good call, dude.

There seems to be too many animated films that just have the same qualities. I mean, its like they're all trying to be "funny" for children, but also quite funny for the adults, too. If that makes sense.

There's been so many classic disney films, and it's hard to pick a favourite. Personally, I used to love Peter Pan and Pinocchio. :)

My and my mate figured out that the Lion King is actually a Nazi Propaganda film :heh:

The Lions are Nazi's and the Hyenas are the ones hated by the Nazis - Retard, Black & Gay etc etc etc. ;)

Anyway, yeah, They have gone downhill and The Lion King & Toy Story are the best films; unlike the innaccurate Cinderella:heh:

The Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet.

We had to do an essay about the similarities in school a couple of years ago. We got to watch the lion king and hamlet, but they never actually set a deadline for the essay, which I hadn't even started :smile:

The Jungle book is my favourite, and yeah, most of the new films suck. Is happy feet by them as well? That looks shite.

My and my mate figured out that the Lion King is actually a Nazi Propaganda film :heh:

The Lions are Nazi's and the Hyenas are the ones hated by the Nazis - Retard, Black & Gay etc etc etc. ;)

Well Walt Disney himself was a bit of a Nazi.

Not keen on Disney myself even before they turned to generic CGI involving a wacky creatures. Because before that they were just making generic hand drawn adventures involving wacky creatures.

That film made with Salvador Dali could be quite cool though.

They stopped doing traditional animation films because all of them since Hercules lost a lot of money. Brother Bear the last one, in particular made a massive loss. I'd hardly say Pixar saved them either if you look at what Disney actualy owns they where never in danger of going under. Sure Pixar made them a hell of a lot of cash but not saved them. My favourtie Disney film is either Pulp Fiction or Clerks btw.

Indeed, I have not really liked any Pixar films (expect Toy Story and Monster Inc was ok). I loved the old Disney especially during the '90s which had Aladdin (my favorite!) Pocahontas and The Lion King. I had heard that they closed their 2D animation studio but they've reopened it and are making a new 'traditional' film called the Frog Princess.

They'll probably be pretty bad like most newer 2D Disney films, I think they've just gone downhill - it's not all CGI's fault.

That film made with Salvador Dali could be quite cool though.

I've seen that one; it's cool and very weird. Walt Disney and Dali didn't really work on it though; it was done by the studio after their deaths, cause they never really got started on the actual film.

Anyway, I was sad to see the 2D studio go back when they did it (last movie was Home on the Range by the way) and would love to see them return. I am getting extremely tired of all the crap 3D movies that are coming out these days (Happy Feet, Hoodwinked, Open Season...); they're just all pretty crappy.

The problem, in my opinion, with the last 2D Disney movies was just the stories that were kinda blah. They all seemed to miss just that bit extra. And even though it probably wasn't all that popular, I loved the Emperor's Groove; very funny movie. =D