NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
arab_freak

"Lil Chris"

MEGADEATH AND DRAGON FORCE AND KNIGHTS EAR AND SILVER SWORS SLASH FTW*

*disclamer the last 2 bands named here are not real, but the first 2 are really shit.

The Libertines sent me to sleep whilst I was jumping like a mad man at Dragonforce to be honest.

I don't get why everyone loves all these new bland rock bands to be honest.

Just an opinion.

Everyone should just listen to whatever they want to. But really I mean Incubus when I say that. :hmm:

Everyone should just listen to whatever they want to. But really I mean Incubus when I say that. :hmm:

QFT

No really man, I love you.

i dont like libertines on the simple fact i think pete d is the biggest prick on gods green earth. i read that pete and "friends" were at a party and while a girl was unconcious he put a needle in her arm...thats sick. Along with the amount of times he has been arrested for car stuff and assaults etc.

o and he cant sing/write songs for shit

Pete Doherty as a person is irrelevant to the discussion. Do you have any idea how many musicians are complete and utter cnuts? Just because he's the one all the tabloids are talking about, doesn't mean he's the worst offender.

What the band member(s) are like as people is irrelevant. We are talking about the music they create.

Pete Doherty as a person is irrelevant to the discussion. Do you have any idea how many musicians are complete and utter cnuts? Just because he's the one all the tabloids are talking about, doesn't mean he's the worst offender.

What the band member(s) are like as people is irrelevant. We are talking about the music they create.

Well said. :)

I love the music by the Libertines. At the end of the day, it's a matter of taste.

Doherty is not the one i have a problem with, as i really enjoyed the New Babyshambles EP. I just dont think a band like the Libetines deserve all the attention they get. Seriously in my opinion both their albums are fine to listen to in places, in others i just despise it.

What the Libertines "stand for" was not that much in the first place. After their early days they were persistently letting their fans down, with both Doherty and Barat failing to show up for gigs. Yeah they did release some decent material in the latter part of their carear, but the band was so washed up they never even played the stuff to their fans as a complete band.

It is beyond me why people still idolise them.

*Not in any way trying to play down musical opinions of other forum members*

Doherty is not the one i have a problem with, as i really enjoyed the New Babyshambles EP. I just dont think a band like the Libetines deserve all the attention they get. Seriously in my opinion both their albums are fine to listen to in places, in others i just despise it.

What the Libertines "stand for" was not that much in the first place. After their early days they were persistently letting their fans down, with both Doherty and Barat failing to show up for gigs. Yeah they did release some decent material in the latter part of their carear, but the band was so washed up they never even played the stuff to their fans as a complete band.

It is beyond me why people still idolise them.

*Not in any way trying to play down musical opinions of other forum members*

Fair points. Personally, I don't hold the Libertines in particularly high regard - but I do enjoy their music.

Though neither of the Libertines albums are perfect - songs like Horrowshow and Don't Be Shy are dire, in my opinion, while others are hit and miss - I would happily listen to either. The Libertines didn't "stand for" much, you're right - but they had some clever and then-unique ideas an concepts. Arguably, these concepts could have been better realised than they were, but that doesn't stop the work they did produce being worth a listen.

The whole ramshackle, disorganised nature of the band, while undoubtedly irritating, somehow added to their mystique and charm. I think that's why so much hype surrounded the band - there was always an element of surprise and the unexpected involved. You didn't know whether you were going to come away disappointed or amazed. It made them stand out; it gave them publicity. It's the element that Doherty has taken with him in creating Babyshambles; it's a shame that the band recieve such negative press on account of Doherty's actions.

That said, (and apologies to the mods, I know I'm veering wildly off-topic here), I did think Down In Albion was rather hit and miss. Is The Blinding EP any better, Zygo Ape?

EDIT - -

Well said. :)

I love the music by the Libertines. At the end of the day, it's a matter of taste.

Yes, Fierce. You are quite correct. And it's exactly the same with Lil' Chris. Whether you like him or not, he has his fans and he has his audience. He shouldn't be labelled as "shit" or anything like that, because to somebody else he's the best thing since sliced bread. And it doesn't matter who that somebody else is. Lil' Chris does what he does, and what he does appeals to his audience. That's all that matters.

You could argue that any band or artist on the planet is "shit", but it's all down to personal taste. When it comes down to it, you have to accept that if you want to label bands in such a manner, you must concede that either:

1. All bands are shit.

2. No bands are shit.

Lil' Chris isn't your cup of tea; fine. He isn't mine either. But he does what he does, and there are people out there who like what he does. He's achieved what many sixteen year olds can only wish for - he's a pop star. It wouldn't surprise me if he was idolised by many.

So let's leave him alone, eh?

That said, (and apologies to the mods, I know I'm veering wildly off-topic here), I did think Down In Albion was rather hit and miss. Is The Blinding EP any better, Zygo Ape?

Its short and sweet, doesnt give them much room to mess up really. Shows what he can do when he puts his mind to it.

what the hell is this crap? :| one of the most crappy songs/music i have heard..and i've heard a lot of crap. :P

Wow, lots of posts stating the obvious. Much needed...

You could argue that any band or artist on the planet is "shit", but it's all down to personal taste. When it comes down to it, you have to accept that if you want to label bands in such a manner, you must concede that either:

1. All bands are shit.

2. No bands are shit.

If I wish to label a band as shit [And I bloody well do] I cannot concede that bollocks about all or nothing. If your tastes go as far as that simple black and white, then good for you. But for me and my tastes, there are shit bands, there are not shit bands. Plus I have some grey areas inbetween.

A plethora of degrees of shittyness. Or lack thereof.

So let's leave him alone, eh?

And go off topic? The staff wouldn't like that at all.

Wow, lots of posts stating the obvious. Much needed...

If I wish to label a band as shit [And I bloody well do] I cannot concede that bollocks about all or nothing. If your tastes go as far as that simple black and white, then good for you. But for me and my tastes, there are shit bands, there are not shit bands. Plus I have some grey areas inbetween.

A plethora of degrees of shittyness. Or lack thereof.

My point is that any band can be argued as being shit. I may not have made my point clear enough, but what I'm trying to say, in simpler terms, is that if you choose to regard a band as being shit, don't go round telling other people that they're shit, because anybody could put the same argument against any band, and so your argument is effectively redundant.

You say "for you and your tastes" and you're exactly right. You and your tastes. There's no such thing as a band that is categorically shit, if they have an audience.

My point is that any band can be argued as being shit. I may not have made my point clear enough, but what I'm trying to say, in simpler terms, is that if you choose to regard a band as being shit, don't go round telling other people that they're shit, because anybody could put the same argument against any band, and so your argument is effectively redundant..

Then what exactly is the point of this thread, or infact, most of this forum? Opinions make for discussions, would you rather everyone talked (typed?) in a subdued, emotionless way?

My point is that any band can be argued as being shit.

Never said they couldn't.

I may not have made my point clear enough, but what I'm trying to say, in simpler terms, is that if you choose to regard a band as being shit, don't go round telling other people that they're shit.

I'll tell people what I bloody well like. Whether they agree with me or not isn't my problem. I would mention personal tastes and all that but it's so obvious it doesn't need mentioning.

anybody could put the same argument against any band

Good for them.

and so your argument is effectively redundant.

Bullshit.

You say "for you and your tastes" and you're exactly right. You and your tastes.

And? I don't believe I ever said it was the general consensus. I said Lil' Chris is a pillock and his music is shit [not word for word but you get the idea], and since it hasn't been expressed enough over this last page... Yes it is my opinion. Also seems to be the opinion of a few people here too.

There's no such thing as a band that is categorically shit, if they have an audience.

Never said there was.

"A new giant of rock has emerged". Irony...

Insulting or saying a band is shit is fine, because that's your opinion. But no-one should be saying someone's opinion is shit, because we're all entitled to one and no-one's is better than anyone elses.

And anyway, it's all about how well the song is written and not how well the instrument is played. Although potentially the better you get at an playing, the more scope you have for writing a song.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that dosen´t mean we have to expect everyone to respect and not be criticized for it.

If i would say: "I very much dislike this band" wouldn´t not be much different to saying "This band is shit" because i am making the very same point with both sentences, just using other words to make that point.

Clearly we're not putting "in my personal opinion that may or may not be shared by others" at the front of our posts.

In my opinion you can listen to what you want, Lil' Chris, DragonForce, Franz Ferdinand. I may personally dislike all three of those, but you can listen to them. I'm not going to argue that the band is crap or not. That's like telling somebody what their favourite colour is.

The only problem I really have is that bands I don't think are very good, or are completely manufactured like Lil Chris, don't deserve to be up there. All that guy did is happened to go on TV and be 'cute'. He didn't work hard, he didn't practice for 10 years or spend every day trying his damndest to get famous. He was just lucky. I reckon there are a lot more deserving people out there.

But that's just how the world works. If you wanna make it big you'd better make sure you're lucky enough. Being 'good' has nowt to do with it.

Like what other people have said. It's down to taste. And everybody thinks that theirs is better than others, it's part of life, it's what we've all come across many times.

It does slightly irritate me when people go on about how crap one band is by going on about how they can't sing or play instruments. You'd be better off by saying "I just don't like them" than annoying fans of this band by whining on and on about how they're talentless and you can't see how other people can like this band.

For instance, I despise the Scissor Sisters, but I don't go on about how much I don't like them, especially on here as I know there are a few SS fans here, so I just let them be and let them praise the Scissor Sisters, while I praise my favourite bands to the high heavens.

To keep this thread on track: Li'l Chris. Not my cup of tea.

All music pales in comparison to the legendary

I think it goes without saying that the lyrics between his Chacarron's are the most inspirational and heartwarming lyrics I've ever heard.

Sign in to follow this