NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

Thanks both of you, I'll put that on the main site. Have you got a source for the component cable thing before I do?

I know that it has fixed it for some people, for others it hasn't done anything. I'm just surprised that Nintendo hasn't advertised these updates at all.

Have alook at this L.M.F.A.O

sonic4snespal.jpg sonic4snespal1.jpg

This is a hack of Speedy Gonzales - Los Gatos Banditos from Sunsoft, with Sonic (and Mario!) sprites added in (you can see screenshot above). Now, let's look at the label... well, as pirate carts have taught us all, that pic of Sonic was probably ripped from somewhere else (note the disproportionate drawing of Sonic, though it may be a scanning artifact). Also note that the "Sonic The Hedgehog" logo, as well as the "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" one, are cheezily done, and, if you look carefully, are not the same as the authentic ones. Actually, the "Super Nintendo" logo looks kinda like the logo on an unlicensed convertor box, which is designed to make it look like a licensed accessory. Anyways, since this cart is labeled "Super Nintendo", and it has the shape and design it does, it was probably intended for the European/PAL market.

sonic4snesntsc1.jpg sonic4snesntsc2.jpg

sonic4snesntsc3.jpg

sonic4snesntsc4.jpg sonic4snesntsc5.jpg

This is a hack of an unknown game. In addition to Sonic, there is a Mario character as well. The box art, front and back, is a direct rip of the real Sonic The Hedgehog 3 box for the Sega Genesis, with "3" being changed to "4". Note that Sonic is holding up 3 fingers, indicating the third sequel. Guess the pirates were too lazy to add another finger.

gamersgraveyard

Oh it would be nice to get this title on the VC :) but we know its never going to happen :(

perfectdarkaus.jpg perfectdarkeur.jpg

I used to have the ROM of that Sonic on the SNES...had completely forgotten about it, it was awful when sonic jumped he didn't spin like in sonic but jumped as he would when u bounced on a spring or something...

i dont suppose anyone downloaded Ocarina of Time and can tell me what the controls are like with the classic controller?

..and while you're at it, tell me if it is worth getting the Classic Controller if you already own 2 gamecube controllers (though none of them are Wavebirds) as I have been thinking of purchasing one recently but haven't convinced myself I need one yet..

..and while you're at it, tell me if it is worth getting the Classic Controller if you already own 2 gamecube controllers (though none of them are Wavebirds) as I have been thinking of purchasing one recently but haven't convinced myself I need one yet..

It's worth it. Pre 64 games just don't work with the GC controller.

Isnt something cool supposed to happen if you fly through all 100 rings in the training mode of Star Fox 64?

Thanks Tellyn, I will probably get one in the near future then.. I have been getting by ok so far as I have only downloaded Mega Drive games (Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage) but I imagine I will probably be downloading Super Castlevania IV and Super Probotector at some stage so maybe the Classic Controller will be worthwhile after all :heh:

Isnt something cool supposed to happen if you fly through all 100 rings in the training mode of Star Fox 64?

We wouldn't know, only you lucky Americans have the game. :heh:

Thanks Tellyn, I will probably get one in the near future then.. I have been getting by ok so far as I have only downloaded Mega Drive games (Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage) but I imagine I will probably be downloading Super Castlevania IV and Super Probotector at some stage so maybe the Classic Controller will be worthwhile after all :heh:

SNES games are indeed the worst offenders for the GC controls atrocity. Donkey Kong Country is utter crap on a Wavebird.

Hmm, I cant actually remember... I think I did it though, so I should be able to tell you.

One thing I never did was complete the training in Starwing.

SNES games are indeed the worst offenders for the GC controls atrocity. Donkey Kong Country is utter crap on a Wavebird.

I wouldnt go as far as to say that but yeah it was weird playing that and Mario World with a Wavebird. You kind of have to adjust your fingers so Mario/Donkey Kong can run instead of just walking.

The buttons are all mangled, so you have to press B to jump and A, which would naturally be JUMP on a GC pad switches between Diddy and Donkey.

That's because instead of thinking about button placement, they have literally put A on the SNES pad onto A on the Wavebird, and so on. Therefore, the B button on SNES (which was jump in SMW) is also jump on the GC pad, and A (which was spin jump) is the same too. The Classic Controller handles this better because the buttons are exactly the same, with added Z triggers, analogue sticks and Home button. Thats why the Classic does SNES well and the GC does N64 well :)

I hope they release a firmware upgrade that allows you to make custom control settings for your VC games in the future. It should mean that you could play Lylat Wars with an analog stick properly, or beat Super Mario Bros. with the C-stick and the Z and Start buttons.

Leftie's could fianlly play properly by putting the D-Pad on the ABXY buttons :p

I'm still hoping for a rumble pak that slots into the back. And does anyone else think ghost data might be possible with this new USB storage thing?

I'm still hoping for a rumble pak that slots into the back. And does anyone else think ghost data might be possible with this new USB storage thing?

I don't see how that'd change things. It's the same as SD for the Wii.

So was there an 'easter game' from Nintendo?

An internet-based one, that does't work with the Wii's browser.

I meant more of everyone guessing what Nintendo's easter treat would be for the VC.

Americans were expecting Paper Mario I think, with SPM coming out soon. I don't think it happened, though.

My Easter Lylat Wars prediction was correct... I just got the wrong region. We'll get it this Friday, all N64 titles so far have been released in close proximity of normally a week.

US VC gets vceaster.jpg

Galaga™ (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): Players control their fighters, with their unique ability to combine with other fighters and shoot down the invading aliens. Aliens attack in formations using a variety of attack patterns. Rescue a captured fighter to combine with it, forming a Dual Fighter with twice the firepower. Earn Perfect Bonuses more easily by using a Dual Fighter on the Challenging Stages. Galaga was released in 1981 and became an instant classic with its innovative fighter-combination system and varied enemy attack patterns.

BRAVOMAN™ (Turbografx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): The village of Nitta has been invaded by the army of Dr. Bomb, an evil scientist who is plotting to take over the world. Facing this crisis is Bravoman, who received his powers from Alpha Man to stand up against Dr. Bomb in the name of justice. The village of Nitta consists of 22 stages - action stages that take place on the ground and shooting stages that take place underwater. Action stages use a unique control system in which the height of a jump and the distance of an attack changes depending on how long players hold down the button. Players collect the Luck Symbols that appear when they defeat enemies and give them to Lottery Man to get recovery and power-up items. Stop Dr. Bomb and bring peace to the village of Nitta and the rest of the world.

Alex Kidd™ in the Enchanted Castle (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): When King Thor was kidnapped, his son, Alex Kidd, held out hope that his father would return to their kingdom on Planet Aries. Finally, it was revealed that he was being held captive on Planet Paperock. As Alex, players race to his rescue through 11 levels, battling enemies and avoiding obstacles while winning coins that will buy special items and vehicles. At the end of each level, players encounter a boss and enter into a match of "Rock, Paper, Scissors." Throwing the right symbols puts players ever closer to bringing King Thor home; throwing the wrong symbols squashes them beneath a heavy weight.

Kirby's Adventure is a lot of fun. 5 VC games now, pleased with 4 of them.

I have Kirby's Dream Course on SNES. I really enjoy it, though as far as I know not alot of other people do. It's my kind of puzzle with skill involved game. And Star Fox in April is nice.

I've played a ROM and I thought it was OK.

Use a Hori GC controller or Classic then :heh:

I think the Saturn & Master System should be added to the VC.