NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

Does anyone know how many Wii Points you get on the Wii Shop Channel when you enter a £15 eShop code?

I've been looking around online but can't seem to find an answer, for some reason.. ::shrug:

Does anyone know how many Wii Points you get on the Wii Shop Channel when you enter a £15 eShop code?

I've been looking around online but can't seem to find an answer, for some reason.. ::shrug:

Just did it the other day and its 1700 points you get from them.

Is that all you get? Seems a bit stingy when you can buy 1000 points for £7.00 directly through the shop.

Is that all you get? Seems a bit stingy when you can buy 1000 points for £7.00 directly through the shop.

Yeh.. I have a GAME gift card and would have been tempted to get a points card if it had maybe been something like 2000 points for £15. I may still get one, but I'd probably add the funds to my 3DS for something like Liberation Maiden and Shantae :smile:

So how goes your Secret of Mana progress @Hero\-of\-Time?

I'm up to the last dungeon now, which puts me past my previous save and I'm lower levelled too though I think that's because I grinded my magic and weapons to high heaven on that other save and I've not been as dedicated this time.

It's funny because my phone's ring tone, Prophecy, is taken from this game and when it kicked in during game, I started looking for it. I was still expecting the previous theme, The Dark Star, to be used - I didn't think it changed to the until the very last point in the game so it threw for me a loop.

And just something else to be wary of money wise, the Neko (purple cats) charge double for their wares (or at least some of them do I noticed last night) so try to avoid using them if you can - the limited inventory space doesn't always make this easy though.

So how goes your Secret of Mana progress?

I stopped playing it as it just wasn't hitting the right notes with me. I think darksnowman felt the same way when he first played it when it got released on the VC.

There is a stupid amount of grinding needing to be done in the game, which I usually don't mind, but in this its just annoying.

It could be that I just don't like the battle system. I hate hitting and then having to run around and wait before I can attack again. If you miss you are screwed and you have to wait all over again. I would have preferred it to have been turn based.

Never mind. I may go back to it at some point but for now its not getting played.

Yeah, Secret of Mana isn't as good as I remembered it as a kid. It's not even the grinding that bothers me (though that IS an issue for me), it's the general lack of polish (not just the fact that it's riddled with glitches, but also the hit detection issues) and the really repetitive nature of the environments and gameplay mechanics (the recycled environments and pallet swapped bosses are a clear remanant of the port from SNES CD to cartridge)

It feels unfinished and half baked.

That being said, the music is still fantastic!

I stopped playing it as it just wasn't hitting the right notes with me. I think darksnowman felt the same way when he first played it when it got released on the VC.

There is a stupid amount of grinding needing to be done in the game, which I usually don't mind, but in this its just annoying.

It could be that I just don't like the battle system. I hate hitting and then having to run around and wait before I can attack again. If you miss you are screwed and you have to wait all over again. I would have preferred it to have been turn based.

Never mind. I may go back to it at some point but for now its not getting played.

That's a shame.

There is a need to grind before the first optional sub boss and first proper boss that isn't particularly enjoyable outside getting to listen to the wonderful music. But after that, the only grind is to raise magic levels as they are the difference between some bosses being easy and hair pullingly frustrating.

The battle system does take some getting used to, I will admit that. It's more than just making sure they are in range of your weapon as everything has an accuracy and evasion stat that ultimately determines hits... and I suspect a bit of randomness thrown in too. There is also the matter of timing in that there are certain windows when attack don't register. Luckily, magic always hits regardless of the state of the enemy.

Unfortunately, the game never explains these things to you... in fact, it explains very litte of anything including the story that got cut to shreds as part of the localisation and storage constraints.

For when (if) you do go back to it, if you wait until you are at 100% and you miss with an attack, instead of waiting for it to recharge, look at your party members levels. If one of them is already at 100%, quickly swap to them (use the minus button on a Classic Controller) and hit with them instead whilst you, as I'm guessing Randi, wait to recover to 100% which should be about there once you've attacked and swapped back. This isn't advisable when surrounded by enemies but if there is just one or two, it can make managing them easier - party member AI settings will also have a bearing on the validity of the technique.