NEurope
Aussie

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

You could build as much as you want but there are pre-made vehicle blueprints you can buy or be awarded for getting jiggies. You can do as little or as much building as you want. You can pretty much do the entire game without even touching the vehicle editor.

You could build as much as you want but there are pre-made vehicle blueprints you can buy or be awarded for getting jiggies. You can do as little or as much building as you want. You can pretty much do the entire game without even touching the vehicle editor.

Sounds good to me, for when i don't have time to just sit there and edit manually. Seriously Forza got boring by the editing to the extremes just to be able to race a car. Hope BK isn't as bad as this.

Yeah it was like that with Spore too. At first it was awesome fine tuning your creature to exactly what you want, but eventually you're spending so much time in the editor that it just gets tedious.

I'm sure this won't suffer from that as bad as Spore did, though.

Yeah it was like that with Spore too. At first it was awesome fine tuning your creature to exactly what you want, but eventually you're spending so much time in the editor that it just gets tedious.

The main problem with Spore was that designs had very little impact on the game - it was merely a sum of it's parts.

BK sounds great because the design matters, too (but not to an extent that it's hard to make something work) where changing something small could change the vehicle significantly.

Is anyone else worried that building vehicles might be a complicated and eventually boring task? I always get bored of things like tuning cars in forza/gt, or making custom rollercoasters in RCT. Hopefully there'll be some kind of auto quick build features like in Pure..

I'm not sure a race car tuning simulation is really comparable to an open world vehicular adventure game where you can build jet propelled amphibious pickup trucks that shoot torpedoes.

If they made another "standard" platformer then there is no way it would have lived up to the original.

I don't think it would either, but this definitely won't. I wouldn't expect any BK sequel to live up to the original since the original was so great for its time. That said, though, games like Zelda and Mario have similar sequels to their previous games with slight changes and people tend to love every installment (few exceptions). I can see this one being hit or miss, though.

I reckon it'll probably be a good game, but I'd still prefer if it was truer to the original. This looks set to be a fun adventure but loosely related to the previous two games.

I'm not sure a race car tuning simulation is really comparable to an open world vehicular adventure game where you can build jet propelled amphibious pickup trucks that shoot torpedoes.
Actually it sounds like the same kind of thing to me. The end result and platform for use may be different, but if you replaced all the graphics of each item it could essentially use the same interface. I'm not comparing building a tank boat pickup truck to an ATV only the process of building anything in a game. And I'm not saying it will be boring, just that it could - if done badly....

I think you may as well argue playing with Duplo is like laying brick and mortar.

So I played the demo this morning and I have mixed feelings about the game.

I loved running around the Banjo World level especially when the old skool music from various levels hits and I also think that the game looks fantastic. Rare seem to have captured the humour from the earlier games aswell what with Kazooie still kicking off and Grunty rhyming every sentance.

What is bugging me is the way the cars handle. It took me 2 attempts to beat the racing challenge because my car was all over the place. Then in the Clanker challenge I couldnt handle the tank well enough to keep the enemies at bay. Finally in the footy challenge again I kept knacking it up and just couldnt control where the footballs went.

It was probably just me being groggy this morning but I came off the demo feeling a little disappointed. I will try it again later to see if I can do a better job.

Wait... what... demo... *checks* oh THAT demo, zomg! downloads ^^ ty for the heads up Hot, I didn't even know there was gonna be one, how long has it been up for? O.o

Wait... what... demo... *checks* oh THAT demo, zomg! downloads ^^ ty for the heads up Hot, I didn't even know there was gonna be one, how long has it been up for? O.o

Just arrived on Live this morning.

Ive been reading impressions from various other sites and it seems many have the same beef with the game as me. It may just be the shoddy parts you are given or that I need to give it more time to adjust to the vehicle controls.

Hmmm... I'm sceptical, but i've got this pre ordered and i'll be downloading the demo tonight.

Downloading at the moment, hopefully it won't be to bad. I'll be back with impressions when i'm through with it.

The workshop is a bit of a bitch to work with, i ended up using bought blueprints most of the time. Its a fun game none the less.

I'm still not liking the game much, but i'll probably give the demo a try to see if it'll sway my mind a bit.

The demo has confirmed my suspicions....

I'm going to fucking love this game!!

I didn't have time to do absolutely everything in the demo, so I'm off to start it again.

Edit: If you go to the top of L.O.G's tower thing and look around....there's a castle that looks suspiciously like the one from SM64 off in the distance.

Downloaded and had a quick run around. The vehicle controls are quite strangely implemented. Tight turning and when you turn to the furthest point left or right, they go all over the place. I couldn't do the football game because of the controls making my cart go all over the place. I'll plug in a play again later and see if it grows on me. I'm not a huge fan of the previous games (only played the first one for like 20mins and wasn't left flabberghasted) and this was one of the games I was thinking of getting for xmas so I'll give it more time.

The constant refreshing of the textures as you get further/go past stuff was a bit distracting. It's not as if I was looking for it. I was just driving past things and could see the refreshing line going across the buildings/scenery. Not a really a biggy but noticeable.

OK, so I was loving it in the beggining, having a blast, it's awesome that you can do lots of stuff on the fly and the huge ammount of different vehicles you can do and the little details are freaking awesome. The music and humour is also amazing. But after a while, it really shows it's really not Banjo at all. It's a Lego game, you basically go arround do this with a vehicle, do that with another vehicle and I can see that get boring, specially since the controls are floating.

Turning Kazzoie into a gravity gun also sucks big time. I didn't even finish the demo, cause I got a little bored, but damn, that's a good demo, lots of stuff to do! It's not Banjo but it still seems like a great game, despite some mixed feelings about turning into a Lego game.

I only played the first level because I couldn't get enough pieces. Hated that football game. Is this all you do in the Banjo series? Play stupid mini games?