NEurope
Aussie

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

i am at the expo. Got to say what a horrible demo. Whose idea was it to just show 4 weak mini games?

Just finished the demo (almost...couldn't quite do the TTs for two of the challenges, but those times are designed for better vehicles). All the notes (I think I got all the possible ones from showdown, but I got all of them from Banjo Land), parts, 4 jiggies, 2 jinjos. It still feels like a Banjo game and at the same time it's very different. The trailer at the end looks fantastic, some of the vehicles in it are massive.

I could see this easily becoming my second favourite 360 game (the XBLA version will almost certainly be my favourite).

I only played the first level because I couldn't get enough pieces. Hated that football game. Is this all you do in the Banjo series? Play stupid mini games?

You keep the series out of this!!

I could see this easily becoming my second favourite 360 game (the XBLA version will almost certainly be my favourite).

You mean the N64 game? :P

You mean the N64 game? :P

Yea, the only problem I have with it is that I can no longer use the N64 controller well.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned Peach's Castle:

dsc00038yz0.jpg

It's way behind a massive wall (which almost certainly signifies the final boundaries of Showdown Town). There are a few other things in the distance, too, including what looks like Mad Monster Mansion.

I loved this demo. So much to do, some crazy vehicles to be made. Much fun was had with me and a friend over XBL on the test track. Day 1 purchase...but only because of the free Banjo Kazooie code that comes with it too.

I haven't had a chance to try the demo yet, but I just know; I'm going to buy this day 1 and not play it for a week because I'll be too busy on XBLA.

I haven't had a chance to try the demo yet, but I just know; I'm going to buy this day 1 and not play it for a week because I'll be too busy on XBLA.

Yep so true! When my copy comes in the post im giving it to my sister and she gives me the money for it, just so she can give it me as a present on xmas day, lol. The only reason i pre-ordered it was for the code...

I will prob still be busy with gears 2 anyway.

After playing a bit more, here's what I think about the demo:

http://360cube.blogspot.com/2008/10/its-game-ive-been-waiting-for-since-i.html

It's the game I've been waiting for since I got my Xbox 360 - the original Banjo-Kazooie is still my favourite game of all time and I loved both Tooie and Gtunty's Revenge (the GBA one). They took what Super Mario 64 invented and then improved upon it in every way. Yesterday the demo of Nuts & Bolts was released and after hours of playing I thought that I should post my thoughts.

First of all, am I disappointed that this isn't really Banjo-Threeie? In a word - No. These days most platform games have their own style (minus all the awful/average licensed ones). Mario uses the style he created in Super Mario 64 (but improved, of course), Sonic uses a fast-paced-almost-on-rails approach and Lara Croft has a more puzzle-orientated approach. Banjo needs his own style, and here it is.

I don't think a Banjo platformer in the same style would work too well. It'll never be as good as the original Banjo game and Rare would probably be dissed for having no imagination. The vehicle based minigames seem like a natural progression from the minigame-packed Banjo-Tooie.

But is the vehicle-based gameplay any good? Well, a lot of people love it, a lot of people find it boring and some people just refuse to like it because it isn't the same old Banjo. I love it.

In the demo, the tutorials go by rather quickly - the only turotials you need to pay attention to is the vehicle creation and tha the right trigger rotates objects picked up by the wrench - everything else just comes naturally. The handling on the vehicles isn't brilliant, but you have to remember that these are the very easy vehicles.

As for the amount of "normal platforming", well it's hard to tell from a demo like this. Showdown Town seems to be the main place for on-foot platforming (as you only have a trolley that upgrades throughout the game) and there seem to be plenty of locations for classic platforming and note collecting. There's also quite a bit of experimentation for new ways of getting up to places - such as on top of this seemingly unreachable (from the demo area) building. Note collecting in Showdown Town is awesome (as long as they fix a certain glitch). As for note collecting in the levels...well the main part of the game spoils that aspect.

In the game worlds (only Banjoland is available in the demo) you can use any vehicle and switch between them at any point. As it's extremely easy to put a seat. engine, fuel tank and propeller together navigating these levels is extremely simple - hopefully later levels will have sections that vehicles can't reach. Note collecting in Banjoland just doesn't feel right - the notes are placed in seemingly random locations and there's no challenge in getting them. Even underwater ones are easy to get as you can't drown (or die) when you're not in a challenge.

As for the challenges, the demo only has 6. 4 of them are main challenges and two are Jinjo challenges. The main challenges have three levels of success which gives you one of three things: Notes (which may as well be a failure), Jiggies and a T.T. Trophy (4 T.T. Trophys will net you an extra Jiggy).

Two of the main challenges are races (one against three other people and one against the clock). These are simple enough as long as you slow down to turn, although the ckunky vehicle that you have to use in the race againt other people clips with the other races if you get too close, resulting in a big loss of time.

Then there's the football challenge. You need to use a vehicle to push/shoot footballs in a goal. Vehicle selection is up to you - I used a modified version of the pre-built pushing vehicle by adding a spring to it. The score required for a T.T. Trophy is quite high but these are made with future vehicle parts in mind. I'm guessing that a small helicopter with some sticky ball things would work a charm in this.

The final one was the weakest. You had to protect Clanker's eyes from Gruntbots. Doing this with the only weapon you have to start with seems almost impossible. A simple look around Showtown will get you a new weapon which works a charm for this challenge.

The Jinjo challenges are quite simple. One of them is basically "Go to point X" but the other one is a lot of fun. You get told to send the Jinjo flying as far as possible (he turns into a large ball). It's up to you how you want to go about doing it. Once leaderboards are turned on, these could be amazing.

Modifying vehicles is extremely simple and you can take anything you make for a drive on the test track before you try a challenge. It's very easy to try a challenge, make a quick change and then try again. There's plenty of scope for a massive range of vehicles as long as you can imagine it.

The vehicles also seem to work brilliantly, too. The only thing you really have to worry about is balance (too much weight on one side is a no-no). The only things you need are a seat, engine, fuel and something to make it go. My only gripe is that you can't seem to turn propellers off (if you want something to drive that has an optional helicopter ability).

The game also looks fantastic and the ary style is immense. The draw distance is awesome (look carefully and you can see notes on the other side of a level). Showdown town is brilliantly designed and Banjoland borrows some great objects from the previous games (poor Freezeezy) and includes a trash can filled with copies of Grabbed by the Ghoulies - the humour in this Banjo is as great as previous Banjos.

Due to the mixed reception, I can't really tell you if you're going to like it. I do know one thing: I'm going to effin' love this game.

Oh, and I totally forgot to mention the multiplayer mode, which I haven't actually checked out yet. I did, however, spot a "local play" option next to all the usual online. Which is awesome.

Nice impressions there Cube.

I was pretty tired last night and was gonna go to bed after MOTD but I thought I would give the demo another try and im so glad I did because im now on love with the game.

Everything just clicked last night and even the vehicles handled well. I got addicted to try to get extra notes when ever I could just so I could go but some more parts and blueprints. I finally got enough to make the plane and I had a blast just flying around Bano Land.

In my session last night I managed to find all the Jinjos, get all the Jiggies and win 2 TT Trophies. I bought all the parts and blueprints apart from the bike one as I was missing 25 notes in Banjo Land, havent a clue where they are as I went all over the place in my plane.

Anyway, I love the game now and I cant wait to get my hands on the full version.

I wasnt so sure about this game, sure ive played the first 2 games and i will be buying this regardless.... but i wasnt so sure if this game was gonna be awesome before the demo.. and to be honest im still not sure. for starters its not a banjo game.. its banjo kazzoie shoe horned into a different project.. now that may not be a bad thing but im still sour cos i wanted a tradtional banjo game. Im all for change but only if its done extreamly well.. and to be honest the demo had just 4 challanges... and they where pretty dire. The racing one that gives you no choice in vehicle is pointless cos if you lose your a dumbass. The place this game will shine is the challenges that are gonna realy challange you to build something thats gonna do the job perfectly.

H-o-T, have you checked underwater?

I never even thought of that! Thanks for the heads up, will give it another blast tonight.

EDIT: I forgot to ask this earlier but does anyone know what the things Kazooie fixes are for? They look like a set of 3 binoculars on stand, have managed to find 2 so far in Banjo Land and cant figure what they are for....

EDIT: I forgot to ask this earlier but does anyone know what the things Kazooie fixes are for? They look like a set of 3 binoculars on stand, have managed to find 2 so far in Banjo Land and cant figure what they are for....

I've seen a video of a challenge where you have to activate all three within a certain time.

Edit: Grab a seat and attach a spring to the bottom. You have to try it.

I also made rather fast boat that I decided to try out on land. A few bits fell off then it started to fly. Very badly.

Interesting demo.

First the good. I loved all the things to do and the way the world felt open. Some of those minigames were very fun like the football and races etc. Felt like a videogame (guess thats the concept!) but in a really good old school way. Also the worlds were beautiful and a nice feeling of being able to look anywhere. It also kept me coming back seemed to be very fun at times.

Now the not so good. Some bits were very frustrating. That save the whale eye game was just an example of the tight control that controlling banjo on foot has over some slippy slidey tank. Also the race godam it was so annoying when my trolley cart got stuck to another one. Of course I expect if I customise stuff in the game it will sort itself out. To me the world seemed a bit disjointed like for example in the old games that metal whale would be the centre of a level based around that theme. But this one he was just a mini game then there was a footy minigame and another minigame here and there felt a bit disjointed.

Even though ive listed more bad than good my opinions improved on the game and I will probably pick it up when its cheap depending on reviews.

I second that statement on the Clanker eye thing; the controls just aren't tight enough for that, especially on a slope. I didn't like the handling at all, but I may well get used to it.

The football game though I loved: my vehicle for that was a donut shaped thing with a spring jump and propeller so I can land around it and take it directly across the line.

Also, the rhyme about Banjo's nose (something like "I say Banjo, your nose is square, the fans will hate it you stupid bear") was brilliant. The humour really is there, even in small things or where the take the mickey out of themselves.

Graphics were pretty cool, though there was a bit of pop-up on the grass and the tire tracks on the red button for the Football disappeared when you release it (as if it's a layer on top of the button when its pressed down, but once the button raises the tracks don't move up with it).

Mostly minor complaints, other than the handling. Definately going to buy it, but I always was.

Played the demo, thought the presentation was sublime but the gameplay wasn't really banjo. Hopefully it won't be just mini games and we will have some decent platforming in the final version.

Hint - For anyone who is having trouble with the football game, use the trolley thing, put the ball in it and drive through the net. Works wonders.

Havn't played the demo yet, but shall be doing so tomorrow. It does sound good though.

@ ipaul - I didn't realise you could pick up the ball and put it in the trolley which is why I had such a hard time doing the football game. I thought you had to push it all the way. Guess I'll try it later when I give it another go.

Well, this has to be one of the first times that I've really fancied a game, only to be put off by the demo.

I know it's only showing a small part, but if all you have to do to get jiggies is to drive to a spot on the map, complete what is quite frankly, a horrible challenge which feels about 10 years old and then put them in a machine, then you can count me out.

I know they've tried to do something different, but what I've seen of it so far hasn't worked for me. I was suspicious as to why they are selling this at a budget price in America along with 1200 free points for the original N64 game, and if the rest of the game is like this, then I can see why

Think I'll wait for the reviews to come in to see what the rest of the game is like and then this may just be a rent for me, which is disappointing as I wanted my free code damnit!!

Maybe I'll play it again and try to see why some of you guys are raving about it

Its weird, this game... "feels" like Banjo but at the same time is NOTHING like Banjo. Its bizarre.

Ah well, i found it enjoyable.