NEurope
Phube

Rip-off Britain...

some of you make me laugh sometimes, you moan becuase you are ages 13-16 and dont have jobs and cant afford a Wii......

it launches 8th December..... + 17 days = ?????????

Commence whinning to Parents for Wii for Christmas, and because it also appeals to Aldults.... its a good bragging point to make them buy it for you

Yes the price may be no problem to us. What about people hearing about the Wii for the first time, or considering what console to buy? That was my point.

HOLY CRAP you're right. They're gonna see the price of the Wii and go for the much cheaper 360 or PS3. Damn thank god Sony and Microsoft wanted to keep the price down.

some of you make me laugh sometimes, you moan becuase you are ages 13-16 and dont have jobs and cant afford a Wii......

Commence whinning to Parents for Wii for Christmas, and because it also appeals to Aldults.... its a good bragging point to make them buy it for you

If that's for me, I'll let you know, I'm a 19 year old whos only occupation is ripping of money from parents for Univ.

I remember paying over £500 for a modded GameCube with Super Smash Bros Melee for Christmas 2000? Maybe 2001. I forget when the Wii came out, but I had to beg my dad to lend me the money. It was expensive and a complete waste of money, but I always find ways to waste money.

Point being, considering how much I've paid for consoles before the Wii is incredibly cheap.

Plus shops will make xmas bundles. :kiss:

Personally I was a bit disappointed about the price , but on reflection I just think that maybe we have been spoilt by the various manufacturers giving us cheap consoles as a loss leader for too long.

If you consider that the SNES launched at £149 , and the N64 for £299 (admittedly for only a month) , then taking into account the cost of living/inflation then in real terms todays announcement isn't so hard to stomach.

That still doesn't change the fact that Europe are constantly ripped off with regards to other regions which was the original topic of discussion.

Feel free to correct my prices as quoted , but I am pretty sure they are correct.

If Nintendo had not made out that the system would be cheap and affordable by the mainstream then people would not be so disappointed with the price now. I've been expecting it like sub £150 for months, and it should be.

£180 I can afford, + Zelda = £220 unless I can pick up a promotion, but I cannot bank on that. I'm affraid most people cannot afford that, and most people are not buying a Wii just to play Wii Sports. Game sales will suffer more because of the price. I was going to get 2 or 3 but I think I'll stick with 1 now.

Nintendo knows that they will make a lot of money from the games and the accessories, and they are making a profit on each Wii sold too, they sure are very shrewd when it comes to making a big profit. Not to mention how much the Virtual Console will make them.

I think the Wii Sports pack in is not such a good idea, rather not have it and the Wii be £150. that would be a much more accessible price.

At the end of the day I have to admit that £180 is a smart price to launch at. It's not likely they will have any problems selling a shitload of Wii's at this price.

I did a little analysis today, and here's what I've found (I have used RRP).

If I buy the following in the UK, here's the cost:

Wii System - £180

Zelda - £40

Red Steel - £40

Tony Hawk - £40

Wii-mote - £30

Nunchuk - £14

Classic Controller - £14

Total UK package cost = £358

Here's what the same package would cost in the USA, pre-delivery, using today's US-UK conversion rates:

Wii System - $250

Zelda - $50

Red Steel - $50

Tony Hawk - $50

Wii-mote - $40

Nunchuk - $20

Classic Controller - $20

Total US package = $480 = £256

So by importing, you can save yourself over £100!

And before you start jumping onto "sales tax" or "V.A.T.", most online US stores DO NOT have sales tax. As for delivery, that's a variable, so I haven't included it.

So there you go. The USA is cheaper. Considerably cheaper, as delivery for a Wii will not cost much compared to the £100 you'd save.

I did a little analysis today, and here's what I've found (I have used RRP).

If I buy the following in the UK, here's the cost:

Wii System - £180

Zelda - £40

Red Steel - £40

Tony Hawk - £40

Wii-mote - £30

Nunchuk - £14

Classic Controller - £14

Total UK package cost = £358

Here's what the same package would cost in the USA, pre-delivery, using today's US-UK conversion rates:

Wii System - $250

Zelda - $50

Red Steel - $50

Tony Hawk - $50

Wii-mote - $40

Nunchuk - $20

Classic Controller - $20

Total US package = $480 = £256

So by importing, you can save yourself over £100!

And before you start jumping onto "sales tax" or "V.A.T.", most online US stores DO NOT have sales tax. As for delivery, that's a variable, so I haven't included it.

So there you go. The USA is cheaper. Considerably cheaper, as delivery for a Wii will not cost much compared to the £100 you'd save.

It's not really as simple as that. As other's have stated, the UK gets shafted quite a lot, and not just by Nintendo.

when you consider its 80 quid more than a DS Lite with a free GOOD game its not soo bad.

BUT it aint just that is it? you have to factor in the rip-off price controllers into the equation. Unless you are only interrested in playing with wour own Wii that is.

I think people are neglecting the primary reson companies sell a product? Profit?

Nintendo will the only one of the "Big 3" to make a profit on every system from the very first one they sell. That just makes sense. Can we get over the price already....???

BUT it aint just that is it? you have to factor in the rip-off price controllers into the equation. Unless you are only interrested in playing with wour own Wii that is.

Can you please actually qualify for me what makes it rip-off, cause I want to know. Honestly give me a price break down of how much these controllers cost, how much they are to transport and factor in research and all that. Then and only then can you call it a rip off.

i am ffraid you have misclculated it you would be stung by Import duty and then VAT for those coming into the UK

You could argue that the controller is the most important part of the whole product. I mean, the console does have some nifty features, but we're all buying it for the controller.

Yeah, it contains a lot of features. This isn't your standard wireless pad. It features tilt and "air-aiming" (patents:heh:), and there are other features in that, too.

40-odd quid for that plus the nunchaku attachment, which also has some innovative features, seems more than fair to me.

Can you please actually qualify for me what makes it rip-off, cause I want to know. Honestly give me a price break down of how much these controllers cost, how much they are to transport and factor in research and all that. Then and only then can you call it a rip off.

Its a ripoff when the controllers cost almost double that of the USA controllers, and when they say they are aiming for the mass market.

Its a rip off when in Australia I can get a XBOX360 premium (NOT CORE) plus 3 additional controllers for only $40 AUD more than the Wii with 3 additional controlers. PLUS DVD PLAYBACK + HDEF +DVD remote.

MS$ is laughing all the way to the bank. They are sure to match the Wii price at christmas.

i am ffraid you have misclculated it you would be stung by Import duty and then VAT for those coming into the UK

Not always. There are ways around that, some sites use those methods.

MS$ is laughing all the way to the bank.

I somehow doubt that. If the price is really like that, they must be making a huge loss.

Its a ripoff when the controllers cost almost double that of the USA controllers, and when they say they are aiming for the mass market.

Its a rip off when in Australia I can get a XBOX360 premium (NOT CORE) plus 3 additional controllers for only $40 AUD more than the Wii with 3 additional controlers. PLUS DVD PLAYBACK + HDEF +DVD remote.

MS$ is laughing all the way to the bank. They are sure to match the Wii price at christmas.

Then buy a 360. Hell if Microsoft sell more then good on them. But for christs sake stop pretending Nintendo is personally f***ing you up the arse. Its a business. It makes money. Its called capitalism Mr Marx.

Then buy a 360. Hell if Microsoft sell more then good on them. But for christs sake stop pretending Nintendo is personally f***ing you up the arse. Its a business. It makes money. Its called capitalism Mr Marx.

If Nintendo are already making a profit selling the system at £135 ($250 USD, sales tax is nothing to do with Nintendo), why does it have to sell the system even higher in the UK at £180. It's nearly £20 than the rest of Europe.

I don't think it's anything to do with conversion, it's more to do with a milking the udders of the British public.

If Nintendo are already making a profit selling the system at £135 ($250 USD, sales tax is nothing to do with Nintendo), why does it have to sell the system even higher in the UK at £180. It's nearly £20 than the rest of Europe.

I don't think it's anything to do with conversion, it's more to do with a milking the udders of the British public.

Ha me and you are argueing on two fronts aren't we mate. Look you're totally missing out British sales tax there. Granted i'm no economist, but as far back as I can remember we've always had unfair spikes, across all consoles. I had these first woes when the ps2 came out. It's not the companies fault.

look, the point of this thread is to debate about the new launch price details etc, why some people are posting for all of us to shut up and stop whining. it's the whole point of this forum to share our thoughts. listen to what others have to say, no need to start the childish remarks about whinging and crying and all that.

if you don't like it, don't read it. People have every right to feel how they do so let them say what they want to. I'm a massive Nintendo fan myself, but can't say I wasn't disappointed with the recent launch information including the price, but some of you seem to get so bloody defensive for nothing.

look, the point of this thread is to debate about the new launch price details etc, why some people are posting for all of us to shut up and stop whining. it's the whole point of this forum to share our thoughts. listen to what others have to say, no need to start the childish remarks about whinging and crying and all that.

if you don't like it, don't read it. People have every right to feel how they do so let them say what they want to. I'm a massive Nintendo fan myself, but can't say I wasn't disappointed with the recent launch information including the price, but some of you seem to get so bloody defensive for nothing.

Ha calm down mate, just giving my side of the debate.

I agree with some of that, but then i think a lot of people are going overboard about not liking the price. It works both ways.

Thank you! I hate the way everyone gets so insecure just because some people don't believe everything Nintendo do is is oh so wonderful and brilliant.