N-Europe

11 year old girl hangs herself over Big Brother

rokhed00

Everyone has "an edge", yeah she's only 11 but people have very different ways of coping with many different things, pressure is always there! Don't be so foolish to think there's not... people committ suicide over 11+ results (yes, the test you take at the end of primary school)!

you'd be surprised!

Yeah she's only 11!!

She shouldnt even understand suicide, let alone contemplate it and God forbid do it....?

The incredulity of an 11 year olds suicide astounds me.

She has the mental capacity of a child, cannot understand the ramifications of her actions, hell she would only be getting to grips with the concepts of right and wrong.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah she's only 11!!

She shouldnt even understand suicide, let alone contemplate it and God forbid do it....?

The incredulity of an 11 year olds suicide astounds me.

She has the mental capacity of a child, cannot understand the ramifications of her actions, hell she would only be getting to grips with the concepts of right and wrong.

I don't dispute this fact at all! I'm just saying that people do stupid things when they find things hard! Even 11 year olds!

I read this in the Mirror on Friday. I don't think she meant to kill herself, like others said she probably just wanted attention and to make her mum feel guilty.

Sounds about right, spoilt brat takes things a bit too far is far more believable than an 11 year old having any sort of breakdown.

Ok, some opinions on this thread are both depressing and angering me. I can't believe that people are seriously willing to believe that an actual, factual, real-life human being, a young girl, would be willing to throw her young life away because she couldn't watch a TV show. Some of you have positively scolded her, declaring that you would never be so imbecillic as to kill yourself because you had to tidy your room or miss your favourite TV show, and yet at the same time have allowed yourself to swallow a stupid, ignorant headline and have accepted it without reasoning, questioning, or any fact behind it.

As I see the effect this headline seems to be having I hate it more and more. It has taken the life of this little girl and made it something for as all to laugh at. It has reduced the very sanctity of human life into something torrid and filthy, like a bad, crude joke written on a pub urinal wall.

None of us know why this girl, this human being commited suicide. It is unnatural that such a young life was driven to end it all, but sadly it happens and TV is never the cause. Pressure, emotional starvation, fear, confusion, bullying, parental splits; these and more are the cause of young suicides both in this country and the world over, each and every year. Never television.

She could've been someone you knew. Someone you are related too. Someone you love. Think about them. The people who you really know. Your loved ones. Is their life this cheap? This two dimensional? If they took their own lives, would you simply pass it off as someone having a stropp and doing something "silly", and then just move on? Do you really think you know someone because you read about them in a crappy newspaper?

Quite honestly if you really, seriously, honestly believe that this young girl could be so shallow and unrealistic that she took her life just because of a TV show, even one I find as hateful as Big Brother, you are no better then Jack Thompson or the rest of his fellow video game bashing loonys who believe a violent game is all it takes to cause a real person to murder another.

Guest Ford Prefect

all abit fucked up really, but shit happens. been there done that and gotten the Tshirt for it.

i was taken to the doctors when i was 13, with depression, wanted to jump out the window. a good friend of mine actually tried to hang himself around the same time (tho i didn't know him then) neither of them were over anything stupid or trivial either. both found our own ways of coping with depression etc tho over the years. still get down sometimes, black days or whatever. just have to get on with it tho... even if it does get to feeling abit shitty when you're stuck over a thousand miles away from pretty much all the folks you know and care about, most of your belongings and all the things you know.

so i have to agree, i doubt big brother actually had much to do with this incident, it may have been part of the final catalyst but it wasn't the main reason. takes alot more than just something that petty to make you want to end your life, unless you're SERIOUSLY unstable......

How awfull for her parrents and family. I agree with the above about it more than likaly being for attention, as the article said that there has been no underlying reason for it. Maybe it was because of the show and not tidy her room and it was just for attention etc? but maybe (and more than likaly) there is other reasons the parrents arn't saying or don't know about.

I think it's a shame that a few members are calling the girl pethetic. The reasons for her killing herself aren't known; only the events leading up to it. For all we could know Daddy could of touched her while on the beach.

No but really. We don't know. So don't judge.

Oh please....at the age of 11??? How can an 11 year old be in such a state of distress that she can be "tipped over the edge"...?

What makes you think that children have better coping mechanisms than adults?

I really don't see how an eleven-year-old is less likely to be tipped over the edge than an adult.

I think Conzers point of view is based on a regular 11 year old, care and stress free so you wouldn't expect them to have anything to feel suicidal over.

Of course that's not true for all children, I don't think he was including those that have had to deal with death, abuse etc. They would obviously find it harder to cope with than adults. From what the article tells us (that's not to say it's telling us everything) the girl didn't have anything like that in her life.

Of course children cant cope as well as fully metally developed adult. That is my point though, mental development. How could a child contemplate suicide?

When a child is "tipped over the edge" (to use the aforementioned phrase) it is because she dropped her ice cream (eg) and her response should be to cry, have a tantrum, cause a scene and generally be a child.

I think Conzers point of view is based on a regular 11 year old, care and stress free so you wouldn't expect them to have anything to feel suicidal over.

Of course that's not true for all children, I don't think he was including those that have had to deal with death, abuse etc. They would obviously find it harder to cope with than adults. From what the article tells us (that's not to say it's telling us everything) the girl didn't have anything like that in her life.

Just from experience here, but my sisters were 5, 7 and 11, my brother was 9 and I was 13 when there was a major death in my immediate family and none of us have ever considered suicide.

But You are right, I am referring to an everyday happy-go-lucky child, but I am also pointing out the carelessness with which we teach our children about life, and its preciousness.

I swear a lot of people aren't reading the first post........

No one is saying the suicide was caused directly by Big Brother....... They are saying the final thing that caused the suicide was not being allowed to watch Big Brother............ I can personally see this happening as I know how much kids over react these days.... I work at a playscheme over the hollidays and just the other day one 10 year old kid was threatening to stab someone over getting told off by me for throwing clay at another kid (he told me of the incident.) The worst part is he couldn't understand why he got in so much trouble for threatening to stab someone.....

A lot of kids that age have a serious disregard for life........

Oh another reason I think this is possible is that when I was younger I was speaking to a friend about if ghosts were real and he decided he was going to kill himself and the tell me if they were....... It took about 2 hours to convince him not to. >.>

Guest Ford Prefect
I can personally see this happening as I know how much kids over react these days.... I work at a playscheme over the hollidays and just the other day one 10 year old kid was threatening to stab someone over getting told off by me for throwing clay at another kid (he told me of the incident.) The worst part is he couldn't understand why he got in so much trouble for threatening to stab someone.....

A lot of kids that age have a serious disregard for life........

QUICKELY, BLAME VIDEO GAMES AND COLOUR TV, GRAB THE PITCHFORKS AND FLAMING TORCHES AND GO ON NEEDLESS WITCH HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heh: :horse:

I swear a lot of people aren't reading the first post........

No one is saying the suicide was caused directly by Big Brother....... They are saying the final thing that caused the suicide was not being allowed to watch Big Brother............

The point is the headline Found hanged, girl of 11 who was banned from watching big brother obviously tries to imply that Big Brother is the culprit. If not, then why mention it at all? Also the title of this thread? :heh: If you look at the effect on people in this thread, who jumped straight into comments like "that's pathetic" and "omg cant believe over big brother wtf h4x" prove that it had exactly the intended effect - without really claiming BB was to blame, they made everyone read it that way.

Guest Ford Prefect

just because you couldn't think about it when you were 11 doesn't mean others couldn't/can't. like i explained in my first post, i was contemplating it when i was 13. depression sucks :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!