N-Europe

Things You Love about Metroid

OK, Metroid is a fantastic series, I particularly like the GC games, but here is where you should post anything about the things that you think make metroid the full package that it is.

Ideas to post about:

Levels/Scenery

Favourite scanz

Music

Creatures

Weapons

Powerups

Suits

I'll post more later but I'll start with my favourite suit - the Phazon Suit:

Phazon_Suit.jpg

In the Prime series I love the attention to detail, every part is unique, almost every texture is diferent from each other, the scan logs and lore with useless data that I love to read as the creature's details and Space Pirate's Logs. It's atmosphere, the sense of lonelyness put together by the level design and the music. There's a lot of effort in those games.

the best thing about Metroid is Super Metroid, particularly the end battle. Nintendo convinced me to feel sad, then angry, then vindicated as the battle plays out without the use of voice acting or even text dialogue. Only the terrible shrieking of Mother Brain and the flashing colors of a pissed-off Samus. I replayed the game a few months ago and it still gives me chills

I absolutely love The Phazon Suit, it's the coolest thing EVER.

I also love, pretty much everything about Metroid. Except for Fusion, which was a great game, but not a classic, some of the stuff you're required to do is too obscure.

The only thing that bugged me about the Prime games was that they were TOO SHORT!! Damnit.

Phendrana Drifts.

Thats all i gotta say, you can think of the rest ;)

Fucking quoted for truth.

The best thing is the atmosphere and the wonderful exploration of an amazing world. The Light Suit in Prime 2 also kicks serious arse.

The atmosphere this series creates is astounding!

The absolute sense of loneliness... these games really are absorbing!

Super Metroid was the first to really take a hold of me, but Prime is the one that sticks in my heart! For me, the only game that comes close to rivalling The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the greatest game ever!

It's unbelieveable how it felt like I was actually inside that suit when playing the Prime series!

I was the Hunter, alone again in an alien setting, preparing myself for whatever I may face!

It was me who stepped out onto Phendrana Drifts and just stood there looking in awe of it's beauty!

I that had crushed the hopes of the Space Pirates and rid Tallon IV of the immediate threat it faced.

I was Samus Aran! (albeit a bloke)

The sense of accomplishment at the end of the game! Nothing beats finishing a Metroid game with 100% items found!

Simply a beautiful series, one of gamings greatest!

I love the grapple beam. The sound and looks of it is really cool, I'd like to have to use it much more.

I also like how you become more and more powerful and with every new ability there's the feeling: now I go there and there and do this and that and get that little thing I couldn't reach before.

In one word: atmosphere.

The 3D Metroids may not play exactly like the 2D Metroids, but they definately have the appropiate atmosphere, which makes them just as fantastic (or at least very close to it).

I've already posted this in the Metroid Prime 2 topic, but it fits here as well:

I especially love the atmosphere involving the anticpation of bossfights (not the atmosphere of the bossfights themselves!).

- Metroid: Fusion - walking past the Serris skeleton, and seeing Nightmare flying in the background.

- Metroid: Zero Mission - knowing you're trapped and the only way out on the map seems to be a suspiciously large room.. The one with Kraid.

- Metroid 2 - Walking past 2 recently hatched and very large Metroid eggs, then realizing you have to get back in that room..

- Metroid Prime - Walking past those Elite Pirate stasis tanks..

- Metroid Prime 2 - Fighting that Alpha Splinter, then seeing those Ing dripping towards it, and seeing the remains of that giant robot boss in the light world.

- Metroid: Fusion - walking past the Serris skeleton, and seeing Nightmare flying in the background.

The encounters with SA-X, seeing the frozen ridley not too far in the game, discovering the secret GF lab and realizing you were going to fight an omega metroid.