N-Europe

ps2 or wii to go with my 360

immy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dont get a DSlite, maybe you can save up the money for a Wii. It will not be extortionately expensive. :)

Yeah makes sense I already have a ds so i don't espically need a lite, woo go mario galaxy for wii

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have some spare cash I was thinking about getting a PS2 to play the upcoming Yakuza game and some of the Capcom compilations, and I was wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions:

-how can you play other region's games in an European console (is there a disc loader, or does it have to be "chipped"? And were can I get a console already "region free"/modded?)?

-the new model of the PS2 has a few problems with some games. What games do not work with it?

-what's the cheapest place to import the console from, or should I just get the "local" console?

-what games do you guys recommend (I don't like Final Fantasy, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Solid, ...)? Since I like "old school" games I'm quite interested in old games compilations, for example, and I enjoy adventure/rpg games with a nice story, especially with a cyberpunk/sci-fi theme.

1) The European console can either be chipped, or you can buy special cases or "keys" to open the disc tray, to be used in conjunction with bootdiscs. The new slimline PStwos can also be chipped, or can be modified with a bit of knowhow and another bootdisc. There are several modding shops online, like http://www.gameworlddirect.co.uk

2) I dont know of any problems with some of the newer chips. My "special" PStwo hasnt struggled to load any of my US/Japanese imports.

3) I would suggest one of the online retailers like http://www.videogamesplus.ca, but there is a high chance you will be hit for customs on it, and that will be a fairly high bill. Some stores also wont send PS2 games/consoles abroad, due to Sony's threats to sue anyone that does. Id probably say Ebay is your best bet to get one already in the country, so long as you go for a reliable dealer. Some independent stores that deal in imports may also hold them. They will undoubtedly be more expensive than a Euro machine, but they are guaranteed to work with all of their region games and you dont risk damage to the machine by modding.

4) To be honest, theyre most of the games I would own a PS2 for! Theres nothing really cyberpunky in terms of adventure on the machine - which is a pity as its one of my favourite genres too :) The Shin Megami Tensai series is a bit futuristic, and might be to your liking. There are RPGs galore on the PS2, particularly in the US/Japan, but without knowing what it is about the FF games you dont like Im not sure what you will make of them. You can get all the things like Taito/Capcom/Midway/Sega etc Legends packs on the PS2, which obviously contain all the classics. In terms of pure adventure along the lines of Monkey Island, the only ones that spring to my mind are Syberia 1&2, Still Life and Escape from Monkey Island.

________

HONDA CH250

Edited by Johelian

There are a lot reasonably new good ps2 games to get (Black, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon Quest and God of War) so you could get that....BUT I would personally get a Wii seeing as by summer next year the games for it will be amazing (you'll be spoilt for choice!!!).

as if it would flop!!! i mean the gamecube didnt. neither did the DS dispite all the shhhtick it got after e3 04 its winning the handheld battle.

Also, the Wii owned E3; and it's not like Nintendo are gonna do a Sega where they release things and all sorts of stuff too soon.

• 2 months later...

Getting a PS2 now for cheap is only worth if you get some good games with it.

so wat the hell is wrong with this guy.....

Since I have some spare cash I was thinking about getting a PS2 to play the upcoming Yakuza game and some of the Capcom compilations, and I was wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions:

-how can you play other region's games in an European console (is there a disc loader, or does it have to be "chipped"? And were can I get a console already "region free"/modded?)?

-the new model of the PS2 has a few problems with some games. What games do not work with it?

-what's the cheapest place to import the console from, or should I just get the "local" console?

-what games do you guys recommend (I don't like Final Fantasy, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Solid, ...)? Since I like "old school" games I'm quite interested in old games compilations, for example, and I enjoy adventure/rpg games with a nice story, especially with a cyberpunk/sci-fi theme.

Final fantasy is by far the best rpg on playstation, probably the best on any console, tekken is the playstation's best beat em up by far, and how can you not like metal gear solid!

if you want old school games buy a frikin old school console!

Or if in doubt just buy a Wii :D

:nono:

Final fantasy is by far the best rpg on playstation, probably the best on any console, tekken is the playstation's best beat em up by far, and how can you not like metal gear solid!

That's your opinion, fine. But seriously, Final Fantasy the best RPG on any console? :laughing:

And Tekken the best beat em up for the PS2? Aren't you forgetting about Soul Calibur 3 and VF4 Evolution?

And yes, I don't like the MGS series, so sue me. And this from a huge fan of his previous game Snatcher...

I have lots of them, thank you very much.

And seriously, what I do with my money is my problem, I asked a few questions regarding the console and some games over 2 months ago so I don't really understand why you decided to revive the thread just to question my tastes.

I say that you should go with a preowned PS2, leave some money for some great Ps2 games and of course the Wii lol.

Last gen the consoles I bought were:

Ps2, Gamecube and GBA/sp

This gen my consoles will be:

Xbox360, Wii and DS/lite

:D

:nono:

That's your opinion, fine. But seriously, Final Fantasy the best RPG on any console? :laughing:

And Tekken the best beat em up for the PS2? Aren't you forgetting about Soul Calibur 3 and VF4 Evolution?

And yes, I don't like the MGS series, so sue me. And this from a huge fan of his previous game Snatcher...

I have lots of them, thank you very much.

And seriously, what I do with my money is my problem, I asked a few questions regarding the console and some games over 2 months ago so I don't really understand why you decided to revive the thread just to question my tastes.

okay mate im sorry, genuinely, i didn't mean to insult you or have a go at your taste okay.

i must've just been in a bad mood when i saw this thread

peace bro

ps: sc2>sc3

I don;t know why anyone would wanta PS2, barring the MGS series, is there anything out there on it that warrants purchase?

Well considering the PS2 was the undoubted 'winner' of this generation I'm sure there are some games that warrant a purchase..... It 'won' because there were so many games available for it.

Getting a PS2 now for cheap is only worth if you get some good games with it.

Or if in doubt just buy a Wii :D

Nah, FF isn't even remotely the best RPG on PS2, on PS1, yes, but PS2 FFs suck pretty hard. Tekken is definately the best beat em up on PS2 though, it's versions of SC suck. I still think there's plenty of amazing games to get on PS2 though, even just in terms of rpgs:

Valkyrie Profile 2

Dragon Quest VIII

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Grandia 2

and plenty of others besides. But I'd say get a Wii, because a new experience is what you're looking for if you already have a 360.

I don;t know why anyone would wanta PS2, barring the MGS series, is there anything out there on it that warrants purchase? As you've got a 360 I'd buy up classic XBOX titles and save your money for a Wii.

Except the 360 plays not all XBox games....Therefor you're limited still.

Plus there are pleanty of good games on the PS2, many of which you've probably never heard of etc etc etc.

So many good games on the Playstation 2 now. It's a great system to own.

Agreed. You have such a great choice on the PS2 and its lifespan is far from over as there are still titles such as Okami, GoW2, FF XII and Rogue Galaxy to get released over here.

I will always be a Nintendo fan but its foolish to ignore the competitions consoles as you will miss out on many a good game.

Agreed. You have such a great choice on the PS2 and its lifespan is far from over as there are still titles such as Okami, GoW2, FF XII and Rogue Galaxy to get released over here.

I will always be a Nintendo fan but its foolish to ignore the competitions consoles as you will miss out on many a good game.

Thank you.