Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Goron_3

They probably started Wii project right after RE4 was released.

Don't forget that Capcom were very likely to be among the first Nintendo showed their FHC too, and if a Resi game really is comming in the next year it seems likely it has already been thrown around their HQ is some form of playable code, most likely on GC dev or early Wii hardware like many of the games at E3. There is no reason, at all, to suggest Capcom doesn't have totally brand new code and a totally brand new game floating around their studios.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they have the time.

Why so? Lots of devs can make a whole game in 18 months and Capcom are very familiar with the engine. It's just a case of designing and producing the content and creating the controller programming. Can't take more than 12 months surely...

Interesting, can't wait to see what this might be!

I really hope it's not an RE4 remake, it's just too soon to be remaking that game. I'd love to see a remake of RE2 though. It's easily the best Resi game imo, and seeing it with updated graphics, gameplay, etc would be brilliant. They remade RE1 for the Gamecube, so I don't see why they can't reamke RE2 for the Wii.

I don't think they have the time.

Seriously, what option would you choose:

1) Take six months changing the controls, adding bloom effects and adding one hour of extra gameplay to Resident Evil 4. Message to public: "Hey look, it's a remake with Wiimote aiming. Look at that, that's a bloom effect, isn't it great?"

2) Take one or two years to upgrade the engine to a level that takes advantage of the Wii's new features. Continue the Plagas storyline or make a Resident Evil 4 prequel. Message to public: "This is a Wii exclusive Resident Evil game that continues Resident Evil 4's storyline, with updated controls. Hey look, that's your new sidekick. Her hair waves along in the wind, isn't it great?"

Note that Capcom already hinted to a Wii exclusive Ressie at the time of the Resident Evil 5 trailer's release at last year's TGS. Suppose they started working on it then, and that "Release: 2007" means Q4 2007 like in 90% of the cases, they've had more than two years to work on it by the time it's out. That's more than Metroid Prime 3 will have at the end of this year. Seems enough for a new game to me, they could even throw in a rewritten engine with that much time.

Actually, I think it'll be about what happened in between 2 and 4.
Code Veronica happened between Resi 2 and 4, ending with Chris and Claire (no doubt meeting up with Jill etc...) going to finish Umbrella 'Once and for all!'

IMO it's quite likely Resi 5 will tell this story; which if the case, is why I'd SO like there to be a Wii version! The clues are there;

Zombies not Plagas,

A character that looks like an older version of Chris, who's been hidding from and tracking Umbrella down for a long time; hence the rough look!

Though the location doesn't make much sense, because it doesn't look European!

I'd like to see (in order);

1. Resident Evil 4 Continued...

Leon could be in more of a city environment this time (like that of Resi 2), though maybe start the game off Rural, but please no Mansion!!

Also, let Leon re-unite with Claire and have her as a second playable character (whether just for a few chapters, or as an alternate character)!

2. Resident Evil 5

Graphics shouldn't have to be any better than Resi 4 and it can be either an exclusive Wii-mote version, or the standard version with the 'classic' controller, I don't mind!

I'd just like to get a chance to play the game; as long as it's a key part of the current Resi storyline!

3. Resident Evil 2 Remake

This is very unlikely IMO, but I haven't played the game and it looks awesome!

Seriously, what option would you choose:

1) Take six months changing the controls, adding bloom effects and adding one hour of extra gameplay to Resident Evil 4. Message to public: "Hey look, it's a remake with Wiimote aiming. Look at that, that's a bloom effect, isn't it great?"

2) Take one or two years to upgrade the engine to a level that takes advantage of the Wii's new features. Continue the Plagas storyline or make a Resident Evil 4 prequel. Message to public: "This is a Wii exclusive Resident Evil game that continues Resident Evil 4's storyline, with updated controls. Hey look, that's your new sidekick. Her hair waves along in the wind, isn't it great?"

Note that Capcom already hinted to a Wii exclusive Ressie at the time of the Resident Evil 5 trailer's release at last year's TGS. Suppose they started working on it then, and that "Release: 2007" means Q4 2007 like in 90% of the cases, they've had more than two years to work on it by the time it's out. That's more than Metroid Prime 3 will have at the end of this year. Seems enough for a new game to me, they could even throw in a rewritten engine with that much time.

I think you're misunderstanding what the people who wouldn't mind Resi 4 on Wii are talking about.

People like me are hoping they will add the Ada PS2 mission, Wii controls but also maybe the game through Luis and Krausers eyes. I seriously doubt this would add just 'one hour' of gameplay, because Leons mission alone took me 5 hours and 31 minutes during a speed run, so if they did do this, they would just add one hour of gameplay, it'd be more like 10-15, but I do understand that people wish for CAPCOM to release a new Resi asap, and not Resi 4.

At the end of the day, I think Capcom just need to release a Wii game as soon as possible, and I think Resi 4 would be perfect for this (all they have to do is increase graphics, add Wii controls, add more gameplay and sort out that TERRIBLE COLLISION DETECTION!!!). Then they could move on to bigger projects and give us a brand new resi as time goes on, like they did with GC when they announced like 5 games for GC (even though eventually, only P.N 03 was exclusive).

Anyway, does anyone know when next months ONM comes out? cheers

Resident Evil 4 is history. I prefer a new Ressie, or a RE2 remake by miles. I don't want to have that game that I beat a year before (only got it in February) with bonus missions like that. You can hardly call that a remake. That's just a port.

If Capcom 'has to' release a Wii game as soon as possible, they shouldn't be sacrificing Resident Evil for it, and I don't think they will.

Resident Evil 4 is history. I prefer a new Ressie, or a RE2 remake by miles. I don't want to have that game that I beat a year before (only got it in February) with bonus missions like that. You can hardly call that a remake. That's just a port.

If Capcom 'has to' release a Wii game as soon as possible, they shouldn't be sacrificing Resident Evil for it, and I don't think they will.

I agree I too think a Resi 4 'remake' would be a complete waste of time.

Yeah I can't see the appeal of a Resi 4 port with Seperate Ways included AT ALL!

If you watch all the Seperate Ways cutscenes on the internet (which is all I'd want to play it for anyway!), you'll see it doesn't actual reveal a great deal more of the story, and it's only meant to last a couple of hours!

Playing as Lius and Krauser on top of this would be extremely boring!

Krauser doesn't really need any more of a story and is only in the last chapter anyway;

and Luis would be revisiting the exact same areas as Leon and Ada, plus he doesn't even make it past the castle!

It would be a complete waste of Capcoms development time anyway!

Most people will already have the GC or PS2 version and they might aswell spend time on a new game that everyone will buy!

Resi 4 continued (Resi 6), Resi 5 or Resi 2 remake please!

I'm sure it won't be Resi 5 - Capcom have already said in an interview that Resi 5 will be quite reliant on the HD abilities of 360/PS3, any Wii version would have to be quite toned and as such I think it would be quite far from what Capcom want to give us with RE5.

I think whatever game we get will surely be built on the Resi 4 engine and be some sort of spin-off from the main plot. Given what Capcom have said I still stand by statements that a Resi 4: Extended Cut seems most probable, I'd prefer it to be a fresh game of course but this is just the impression I get, hopefully I'll be wrong.

However, if it is a spin-off from the main plot rather than an addition to the numerical series (Like Code Veronica) then I don't think the Leon silouhette necessarily indicates that the game will feature Leon, its just to suggest that a Resi game is on the way.

A continuation of Resi 4 that compliments Resi 5 would be ideal. I think if you want to get the full Resi experience this generation though then you're going to have to get a Wii and either a 360/PS3. Both systems can bring their own individual touch to make Resi games better so I'd like to see stories that compliment each other - A toned down graphically version of Resi 5 with tacked on controls on Wii would be good for nothing as would a less functional port of Resi Wii to 360/PS3.

OK, here's a possibility: CAPCOM upgrade the RE4 engine and create a new adventure using it, however, they also include the code from RE4 and allow you to play that with the new control system. I'm not suggesting the same thing as these extra missions, like the Ada one, that other people have said; this is CAPCOM exploiting the Gamecube compatibility/upgrade side of the Wii, so they're not have to code a whole new engine, which gives them enough time to produce new content. You give any reasonble sized studio 9 months to create new content for an existing engine, it's generally do-able, as long as they don't stray too far from the design constraints of the existing one.

I hope that this time you don't have some annoying bitch you're supposed to protect, and that they make different situations using regular enemies, like when you're locked in that shack with luis and ashley and you have to fend of that hoard. It would be cool if they had more set pieces like that, and maybe even a points system for how few shots you use to kill an enemy.

Capcom probably'll go safe and take the Resi 4 gameplay and use the Wiimote for gun aiming. Should be awesome with the knife and maybe a flashlight for creepy dark areas.

In the original footage of Resi 4 they had that and it looked so good. Hopefully they'll include it this time :santa:

I hope that this time you don't have some annoying bitch you're supposed to protect, and that they make different situations using regular enemies, like when you're locked in that shack with luis and ashley and you have to fend of that hoard. It would be cool if they had more set pieces like that, and maybe even a points system for how few shots you use to kill an enemy.

omg, You just reminded me of the funniest moment in RE4 EVER! Basically, outside the church where you're supposed to set the cart alight so it rolls down and hits the villagers, well, Ashley was kind of in the way and.......KA-SCHMACK! Hadn't laughed that much in a very long time.

OK, here's a possibility: CAPCOM upgrade the RE4 engine and create a new adventure using it,

That's what I want. Makes sense, RE5 is also an upgraded RE4 probably. I suppose they can put RE5 on Wii without much trouble too. Meh we'll see

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!