Super Paper Mario

Sarka

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 7 is so painful.

Like, it really is awful.

I've gradually gone from loving it (Chap 1) to hating it (Chap 7).

Yeah same thing happened to me.

Having finished the main game im on tackling the sidequests. I had a good session on it last night and managed to buy all 48 Treasure Maps and find the treasure themselves. I beat the 100 fight Sammy Tournament and found the rest of the Pixls ( also bought that special Pixl after beating the game ). I only now need 100 cards, complete 70 more recipies and beat the 100 Trials in Flopside for a 2nd time.

I actually haven’t played this for days now! :shakehead

The RPG / Platform thing just really doesn’t appeal to me.

When Eenuh was debating which game to get, I thought that was a tough decision to make, but now having played both games there really is no doubt for me whatsoever that Rupeeland would be the one to get.

Here's hoping Metroid will be more enjoyable, otherwise I might have a similar situation to now when Phantom Hourglass comes out, and all of my gaming time will be on the DS again.

Yeah, I know, it'd happened a few times before I got SPM, it's just it's happened about 50% of the time since getting the game, that's all.
I wonder if it's something to do with having the firmware update on the disc? :hmm:

I managed to complete the main story a couple of days ago and on the whole I did really enjoy it and I will go back to it just to finish off both pits and the card collection , treasures and some recipes.

My main complaint is the same that has been voiced by others and thats the real lack of charm in Flip/Flopside , I never really cared about what was happening there and just didn't get any vibes of personality as displayed in previous Paper Marios.

There were also a couple of chapters that were overlong/tedious but generally I am glad that I experienced this without too much disappointment.

Which is also true for quite a lot of real-time fighting...

More true, I would say. Blocking and attacking in real time has more strategy and is more like real fighting. Turn based fights seem random to me. The ammount of points you knock out of the foe, wether you block or not, it's at random. I can't relate to that "strategy".

More true, I would say. Blocking and attacking in real time has more strategy and is more like real fighting. Turn based fights seem random to me. The ammount of points you knock out of the foe, wether you block or not, it's at random. I can't relate to that "strategy".

Blocking and attacking in real time is not more strategy, why do you think a lot of turn based games are classed as 'strategy'?

Blocking and attacking in real time isn't strategy, it is a natural reaction. There certainly isn't any strategy in super paper mario. Just use Carrie and you can jump on and kill almost anything. In fact, most bosses can be defeated by simply jumping on them.

I never said there was in SPM... SPM is a cross between rpg and classic Mario.

Is it your opinion then that there is no strategy in games such as Tekken or the Street Fighters? Just cause they're in real time, then it must only be "natural reaction", eh? In order to be considered strategy, something doesn't have to take minutes to decide one move.

I still stand by my statement of the randomness of the turn based systems. Is it to much to ask that when I choose to Block an attack that my character actually blocks the damned attack? I guess it is, cause in turn based fights even if you choose block, there is a chance your character will not block. And that CPU calculated chance makes it random.

What kind of game have you been playing? When you block, you block. It's not random. You can in fact block in SPM with a Pixl and Peach btw.

And SPM is a platformer, not a fighting game.

In my opinion, there is some tactic in SPM, wether or not to jump. That's it. Nothing more. Comparing the tactic elements in SPM to any turn based game is like comparing a stick to a bazooka or whatever. Huge difference.

Is it your opinion then that there is no strategy in games such as Tekken or the Street Fighters? Just cause they're in real time, then it must only be "natural reaction", eh? In order to be considered strategy, something doesn't have to take minutes to decide one move.

I still stand by my statement of the randomness of the turn based systems. Is it to much to ask that when I choose to Block an attack that my character actually blocks the damned attack? I guess it is, cause in turn based fights even if you choose block, there is a chance your character will not block. And that CPU calculated chance makes it random.

In real time games there is no strategy, because strategy itself is the art of planning in advance and pre-empting the future. It's ridiculous to suggest many real time games have more strategy. Turn based battles is one idea of strategy since not only do you have the time to plan your moves rather than button mash or think on the fly, you can also generally do more than block or attack.

In real time games there is no strategy, because strategy itself is the art of planning in advance and pre-empting the future. It's ridiculous to suggest many real time games have more strategy. Turn based battles is one idea of strategy since not only do you have the time to plan your moves rather than button mash or think on the fly, you can also generally do more than block or attack.

No strategy in real time games? What does that make RTS games then?

Or did you just mean platform games?

Comparing the tactic elements in SPM to any turn based game is like comparing a stick to a bazooka or whatever. Huge difference.

How many times will I have to say I'm not saying SPM has strategy? Maybe I should keep this post short, so that you can see this better...

Try act like a grown-up and don't be rude.

In order to be considered strategy, something doesn't have to take minutes to decide one move.

Blocking and attacking in real time has more strategy and is more like real fighting.

It does looks like are suggesting there are strategy in SPM in my opinon. If not, I'm curious what the heck your points it.

Try act like a grown-up and don't be rude.

It does looks like are suggesting there are strategy in SPM in my opinon. If not, I'm curious what the heck your points it.

Oh really? Try reading these passages, then:

Of course stomping on foes is not as deep, but it's classic Mario.

Like I said, maybe these sentences were incorporated in posts too long and you somehow didn't register them. Try act like a grown up, huh? What have I been doing? When someone fails to read what I clearly write, excuse me for using a bit of sarcasm.

And my point is simply that I prefer real time fighting, I believe turn based fighting has some randomness to it and I also believe real time fighting has strategy to it. One can be a button masher in real time fighting, but don't generalize, one can also use the brain. Try watching some videos of Street Fighter tournaments on You Tube.

In my opinion, there is some tactic in SPM, wether or not to jump. That's it. Nothing more. Comparing the tactic elements in SPM to any turn based game is like comparing a stick to a bazooka or whatever. Huge difference.

Exactly...Thats possibly why I'm 'pissed' to some degree with this game, I feel tricked when I was told this game has RPG elements.

Couldn't have said it any better.

No strategy in real time games? What does that make RTS games then?

Or did you just mean platform games?

But even RTS give you time to plan your attack/defence, build/stock up etc etc. Doesn't really matter if it is in real time or not, its all about the time you have to strategise - Like playing a game of chess even though you're playing in real time.

Oh really? Try reading these passages, then:

Like I said, maybe these sentences were incorporated in posts too long and you somehow didn't register them. Try act like a grown up, huh? What have I been doing? When someone fails to read what I clearly write, excuse me for using a bit of sarcasm.

And my point is simply that I prefer real time fighting, I believe turn based fighting has some randomness to it and I also believe real time fighting has strategy to it. One can be a button masher in real time fighting, but don't generalize, one can also use the brain. Try watching some videos of Street Fighter tournaments on You Tube.

Again you are indirectly saying there is strategy in SPM. You previously said there is no strategy in SPM, but all the time you have been arguing for why there is strategy in real time fighting. SPM is real time fighting. I don't get your point, and neither do you it looks like.

Lol, Tales, just lol.... Sometimes I just can't believe certain people! Are you indirectly or directly saying that the fighting mechanics in Tekken and SPM are the same just because they are both real time fighting? Are you listening (or reading) to yourself? I won't bother with this discussion anymore since I think my point has come across clear enough by now, you're just ignoring it (on purpose or not, I don't know and I don't care anymore) and keep focusing on SPM. Yes, I know this is an SPM thread but you have to be able to follow conversations as they evolve and if you go back one page you'll see this particular part of the conversation drifted from SPM for a while.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!