Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy

Ashley

That one almost killed me but I refused to stop playing until I did it!!!

I kept messing up and hitting the sun! Probably one of my most tense moments from the game! :D I once fell off before I got the star at the end! GRR! that annoyed me. >____<

But eventually I was able to get the stare through perserverance I managed to get a bit further each time!

Btw I have about 113 stars and I'm struggling to get the last 7. :) I haven't played it in a while though, I may actually play it tomorrow. It's good to have a break from a game and come back to it!

*stares at Twilight Princess on his shelf*

Lols. that took me an age too! I was really annoyed at it, finally did it then..STUPIDLY. I went for a drink (leaving the screen idle with the reward right infront of me) yet as I came back, I stupidly sat on the nunchuck and Mazza ran off the edge of the platform. I had to do it all over again. Wasn't too happy. Think it took me a good half hour :shakehead

Thats amazing. I would have been pretty demoralised if something like that had happened to me! :p

I found the lava purple coins to be toughish too- there were a few tricky places purples that took me a few goes to get. It didn't work me up into a rage though, I was happy enough to retry... how could you get pissed off at such a game as Galaxy though, eh?

Thats amazing. I would have been pretty demoralised if something like that had happened to me! :p

I found the lava purple coins to be toughish too- there were a few tricky places purples that took me a few goes to get. It didn't work me up into a rage though, I was happy enough to retry... how could you get pissed off at such a game as Galaxy though, eh?

Apparently you have played the level "Luigi's purple coins" with the twisting platforms and some kind of goo where you instantly die if you touch it!!

Now THAT took every single bit of my patience !!

Lols. that took me an age too! I was really annoyed at it, finally did it then..STUPIDLY. I went for a drink (leaving the screen idle with the reward right infront of me) yet as I came back, I stupidly sat on the nunchuck and Mazza ran off the edge of the platform. I had to do it all over again.

Haha. You can join my Stupid Club . I also finally completed it with the star right in front of me. There was an earlier part of the level that I wanted to try something on, so I thought 'I'll jump into the pipe and go back to it briefly. I'm sure the star will still be there when I go back'.

I think you can guess the rest. Nnnnnngggggg.

Love it. I'm not the only mental one XD

TBF, Mario feels so good to control that repeating challenges when killed is a joy (and gradually getting more and more risky lol!)

I remember LOVING the ice level so much. It looked a bit crud (and, sigh, small) at the beginning but then Mario started ice-skating (with his incredibly lovely twirl when he jumps) and then I was after the star where you had to get every coin. And working up the mountain was incredible. So brilliant. It felt like Mario64 x10 :D

Then I needed two more coins and spent a good half hour retracing EVERY single step (whilst trying not to die) and I kept thinking,

"There's no way it's at the top of the mountain, I've been there!" Eventually I went back up to get an overview of the whole level and there were 2 cheeky coins on a ledge which you had to leap from the top of the mountain to get. :o

Brilliantly done. Leaping to those coins was immense. Absolutely one of my favourite moments in Mario Galaxy :)

I then thought it couldn't get any better until I did those levels where the gravity changed direction. (I never thought they'd better the Mario64 Bowser levels but I was wrong!) I'd buy an ENTIRE game made from those moments alone. So much deviation. So much brilliance in one title. Sublime. More BIG levels (like the ice one!) next time please!!!

I remember LOVING the ice level so much. It looked a bit crud (and, sigh, small) at the beginning but then Mario started ice-skating (with his incredibly lovely twirl when he jumps) and then I was after the star where you had to get every coin. And working up the mountain was incredible. So brilliant. It felt like Mario64 x10 :D

Then I needed two more coins and spent a good half hour retracing EVERY single step (whilst trying not to die) and I kept thinking,

"There's no way it's at the top of the mountain, I've been there!" Eventually I went back up to get an overview of the whole level and there were 2 cheeky coins on a ledge which you had to leap from the top of the mountain to get. :o

Brilliantly done. Leaping to those coins was immense. Absolutely one of my favourite moments in Mario Galaxy :)

That entire galaxy was just fantastic!

Your damn right about skating Mario, he's awesome!! The fluid movements, the twirl jump, the one legged show-off landing, skating backwards etc... just captivating, and made me want a Mario Winter olympics!

• 6 months later...
Won a BAFTA for Best Game of the Year...

...which was the top award, beating games like LBP and GTA IV.

They call it a surprise winner.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7936204.stm

id call it a supprise, seen as its from the year before.

as for best game of the generation? no, i dont think it is. its very good, great even, but compaired to outher current gen games, LBP for example, it seems a little dated.

Not played it in a wee while, but I will. I've got all the stars necessary to go to fight Bowser, but I'm gonna do all the stars I can at the station first.

I can't do the sticky web catapult one at all. (The galaxy you get after feeding a luma)

I can't aim myself to fling in the right direction, or rather, to hit the next catapult.

as for best game of the generation? no, i dont think it is. its very good, great even, but compaired to outher current gen games, LBP for example, it seems a little dated.

Dated? Couldn't be more wrong IMO, its full of technology-edge-new-concepts.

It's a surprise winner to BBC because its not a shooter, they think all games are shooters

Heh, word.

Definitely the most fun I've had with a game in years.

I totally need to pick this back up. I only played a few hours when it came out, think i defeated a few bosses and then i didn't play it again. Criminal i know. Same goes for Twilight Princess, barely played that either.

The Wii is just too much effort to play :p

but compaired to outher current gen games, LBP for example, it seems a little dated.

But ultimately, isn't LBP just a pretty 2D platformer with a comprehensive level editor? Thats not exactly 'next gen'. As far as i'm concerned 'next gen' is a little more than spanky visuals- the only two games i consider next gen are actually Mario Galaxy and Portal (because they play with physics in a new and refreshing way)

But ultimately, isn't LBP just a pretty 2D platformer with a comprehensive level editor? Thats not exactly 'next gen'. As far as i'm concerned 'next gen' is a little more than spanky visuals- the only two games i consider next gen are actually Mario Galaxy and Portal (because they play with physics in a new and refreshing way)

LBP is definitely next gen, it has fantastic physics engines in it to be fair, and it is amazing.....but I got bored with it. Really quite quickly.

It is excellent though, and shouldn't be deemed as "a pretty 2D platformer with comprehensive level editor" thats effectively deeming SMG "a pretty 3D platformer with impressive physics engine"...which...well it is, but colours the game in a simple light.

Not played it in a wee while, but I will. I've got all the stars necessary to go to fight Bowser, but I'm gonna do all the stars I can at the station first.

I can't do the sticky web catapult one at all. (The galaxy you get after feeding a luma)

I can't aim myself to fling in the right direction, or rather, to hit the next catapult.

Sling Pod? Took me a few goes to get the hang of it too!

I totally need to pick this back up. I only played a few hours when it came out, think i defeated a few bosses and then i didn't play it again. Criminal i know. Same goes for Twilight Princess, barely played that either.

The Wii is just too much effort to play :p

Dude, take a break from posting on here and go play some games!