Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy

Ashley

Yeah so far I would have the same older as others being Mario 64 > Galaxy > Sunshine. I really enjoy how there are such a variety of stars and galaxies found in the Wii version.

Slightly off - topic but I am tempted to play Mario 64 again. However I am unsure whether to get the DS version or to download the game on the VC. Any Advice? Thanks

There are a few improvements to the DS version, like minigames, slightly better graphics. (these could be hindrances as well I guess)

But I would get the VC version most definetly because using the D-Pad for collecting all the stars will destroy you. Analogue is a must for this.

There are a few improvements to the DS version, like minigames, slightly better graphics. (these could be hindrances as well I guess)

But I would get the VC version most definetly because using the D-Pad for collecting all the stars will destroy you. Analogue is a must for this.

You don't use the dpad in the DS version, you use the screen. The control was the most controversial part of the game, so I would certainly suggest you get the VC version (not saying the DS version is bad, just that a control stick is much preferable to a touch screen for this game)

64>>>Galaxy>Sunshine>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Donald Duck Quack Attack

Wow for some reason I read that as Quackshot and wrote a lengthy post about why Quackshot was such a damn awesome game and why you'd be so terribly wrong for putting in so many arrows before it. But it says Quack Attack. So that's okay. Fool on me.

You don't use the dpad in the DS version, you use the screen. The control was the most controversial part of the game, so I would certainly suggest you get the VC version (not saying the DS version is bad, just that a control stick is much preferable to a touch screen for this game)

You can use either touch screen or D-Pad. Some of the extra levels are great in the DS version and it's definately a more "fleshed out" experience. Yet I would definately say play the original first. Then if you like it go to the DS version for more.

My favorite galaxy is defently, the very last galaxy...the lava one but I also love the one with the autumn theme. Remember? It's the one with the bee, Oh and where you defeat the mole on the stage! :D I tried to explain! hehe

Also I didn't mind the d-pad for super mario ds and found it comfortable!

The touch screen sucked and the D-Pad was marginally better. Getting in the right positions for jumps was a pain, you could'nt quickly burst and jump in DS. I dont think anyone could honestly say that they used the side flip jump in this game, it was near impossible. In 64 you can go wild and run everywhere, when in this you have to be cautious.

You can use either touch screen or D-Pad. Some of the extra levels are great in the DS version and it's definately a more "fleshed out" experience. Yet I would definately say play the original first. Then if you like it go to the DS version for more.

Hardly a more fleshed out experience. 1 or 2 extra 'levels' and a couple of minis is not worth the sacrifice of great controls.

The touch screen sucked and the D-Pad was marginally better. Getting in the right positions for jumps was a pain, you could'nt quickly burst and jump in DS. I dont think anyone could honestly say that they used the side flip jump in this game, it was near impossible. In 64 you can go wild and run everywhere, when in this you have to be cautious.

Hardly a more fleshed out experience. 1 or 2 extra 'levels' and a couple of minis is not worth the sacrifice of great controls.

While its not ideal for the game, using the d-pad was fine for Mario 64 DS. I never had any problems pulling off moves and once you got used to it everything else (like lining up and making some of the more difficult jumping sections) was fine. Obviously it loses that feeling of being the first N64 game with the great use of the 3D stick and controller, but that doesn't mean the game was converted badly to DS. Wall kicks will work, never forget that.

I couldn't get used to playing it with the touch screen- I always tried using the thumb strap. But after having played and completed Phantom Hourglass, I reckon Mario 64 DS could work well if you use the stylus if you give it a chance.

As for it not being more fleshed out... well it had 30 extra stars and you could play as three more characters. Not a bad extension to the game that.

Well We're not really helping the guy decide with 2 different views but I'll stick by what I said. Those 30 extra stars may as well not be there for me, although the swappable characters were awesome. However you should be able to change character at any time in the castle grounds seeing as everybody has a specific special move instead of just mario. Found this annoying.

• 1 month later...

Just bought this game and played it for my first time yesterday. (Yesss, I know I'm late)...and man, this is brilliant really can't stop smiling as I play, such a cheerful game. NOW I understand what you guys were crying about. IMO this game single-handedly puts the Wii back into my good books. Now I'm playing this, with Brawl and in a bit MK and Pro Evo - so this is why I haven't really made any major complaints thus far; my Wii is very occupied right now. ^^

While its not ideal for the game, using the d-pad was fine for Mario 64 DS. I never had any problems pulling off moves and once you got used to it everything else (like lining up and making some of the more difficult jumping sections) was fine. Obviously it loses that feeling of being the first N64 game with the great use of the 3D stick and controller, but that doesn't mean the game was converted badly to DS. Wall kicks will work, never forget that.

I couldn't get used to playing it with the touch screen- I always tried using the thumb strap. But after having played and completed Phantom Hourglass, I reckon Mario 64 DS could work well if you use the stylus if you give it a chance.

As for it not being more fleshed out... well it had 30 extra stars and you could play as three more characters. Not a bad extension to the game that.

It's a tough one to call - I personally found the controls in the DS version to be the only bad thing about the game. On the other hand, as you say, you do get extra and graphically it is surprisingly far superior to the 64 version (the character models in particular).

I used the touch screen with a stylus for most of the game and it was fine for the most part. Some tricky areas which needed quick or precise movements were the only issue for me. The D-pad didn't cut it for me, mainly because you lost too much accuracy with it.

So again, it's a case of, slightly awkward controls but with extra content (including the unimportant addition of improved graphics) and the ability to play it portably, or classic analogue control in it's classic form!

On the plus side, the VC version is only 7 quid, which might be enough of a reason in itself to buy it.

I finished the game with Mario (120 stars), and I have now unlocked Luigi. However I was told by a friend I was supposed to receive a picture for my Wii message board by now as a way of reward? However I don't think I received the picture. Any help?

I actually got the game at Christmas but took this long to complete it due to other games and lack of time. I reckon my run through with Luigi will take me beyond the summer due to Mario Kart and exams. Overall I have enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy so far. The stars do get much harder after the 60 mark however the ones I found most challenging are the more fun ones. eg. Daredevil comet on Deep Dark Galaxy was quite hard.

I finished the game with Mario (120 stars), and I have now unlocked Luigi. However I was told by a friend I was supposed to receive a picture for my Wii message board by now as a way of reward? However I don't think I received the picture. Any help?

I actually got the game at Christmas but took this long to complete it due to other games and lack of time. I reckon my run through with Luigi will take me beyond the summer due to Mario Kart and exams. Overall I have enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy so far. The stars do get much harder after the 60 mark however the ones I found most challenging are the more fun ones. eg. Daredevil comet on Deep Dark Galaxy was quite hard.

If you carry on and finish the game with Luigi, you will see how the pictures become available.. so if you don't want it spoilt, don't read on :heh:

When you get 120 Stars with Luigi, both Mario and Luigi will have another Star each to complete (making it 121 Stars for each game..). It isn't a difficult star, it's just more of a 'You're a Super Player!!' thing..

Anyway, complete the final star for each and you will receive a picture for both characters on your message board : peace:

I don't think Mario Galaxy was that hard, even the harder missions were relatively easy compared to some in 64, and even sunshine.

To answer the above question in more detail:

Tbh there's not much point in doing it all again with Luigi, its way easier, and the slip effect seldom puts you in danger. Anyway, to get the messages, which are hardly that good considering all you have done, you basically have to get the '121st star' with Mario, and to get the Luigi message you have to get the '121st star' with Luigi.

First you have to get all 120 stars with Mario & Luigi. Then (very minor spoiler) there's this place called the grand finale galaxy, which you can get to by rocketing from the green star in the hub world and then running to the other side of the green planet. You'll go through here to discover there's nothing Grand about the Grand Finale galaxy. Get the star in this level with Mario and Luigi to get both messages.

Woop.

No prob.

For the secret elements and really cool moments, I prefer sunshine. It was more fun, imo more challenging, and more enjoyable. Galazy was great, but Sunshine moreso.

Nothing about galaxy seemed that epic, basically hop between a couple of small planets, occasionly reach a bigger one, but find out you only spend 30 seconds there.

Would have preferred more purple coin missions, which is a bad sign.

64>>>Sunshine>Galaxy