NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

Where do you people get the music?

Certain sites, converting of youtube vids, torrents, you name it:wink:

I'm growing to hate the Gusty Garden music as I've been using it as my alarm tune recently. :zzz:

I did this with the Toy Time Galaxy music. :heh:

I've made that mistake too, but with the Super Mario Land credits music.

It can ruin a music, now I just leave the standard beeping on the phone.

I'm afraid to say I swore a few times getting the purple coins last night! On both the Freezy Land and the Desert, I kept getting 99 or even 100 and then fell off the cliff/into the sand! I'd rate those two as the most difficult bits so far.

When I saw the purple coin challenges for Gusty Garden and the Boneyard I thought "Impossible", but then I remembered I'd read on here that there are more than 100 - you don't need to collect them all.

I've completed the first four observatories 100% and have just fought Bonefin. Scary, but I smashed him first go! If there's a 1-hit version of that, I can see it being a challenge.

This game is amazing - Nintendo are still the absolute masters of game design. I've never played anything so intense or exciting. Maybe nothing is taking me quite as many attempts as the challenges in Sunshine, but overall I'd say it's just as challenging. I love how the gameplay has been tweaked subtly to make the challenges less frustrating to attempt, such as checkpoints and taking you straight to the relevant area.

I can't work out whether I'm happy for you to experience it or disappointed that it's taken you 3 years to do so.

I can't work out whether I'm happy for you to experience it or disappointed that it's taken you 3 years to do so.

Take your pick.

I didn't think the Wii was worth buying for £180 with Wii Sports (and I still don't), so it's really only taken me a few months to get round to Galaxy.

OK, I got 120 Stars. The hardest part for me was Luigi's Purple Coins, which I found more difficult than anything in Sunshine, partly because of the terrible camera. There were some sharp turns and it just took a few split-seconds more to adjust the d-pad than it does the c-stick.

I was very impressed with how much fun most of it was, particularly how it drops you in the right place for whatever challenge it is. One of the later stages reminds me of Mario 64's Hazy Maze Cave, but it's much more fun because of the way you can drop into different bits from above. Brilliant!

Playing the first few stages again as Luigi, I'm not surprised I didn't much like it in the beginning - I still think the early stages (pre-Honeybee) are amongst the most confusing and disorientating. I feel the only really bad thing about the game though is that I don't feel any satisfaction at getting 120 Stars. With Mario Sunshine, when I got 120 Shine Sprites, I felt "Yes, I've mastered this game". With Galaxy, I have to get 240 before I can see the last stage, which I feel is a bigger chore than anything in Sunshine.

Still a great game, and I always enjoy Mario more than I expect, but it didn't quite have the spark to make me truly LOVE it! If Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker is a AAA, this is a AA.

Sunshine > Galaxy > 64

OK, I got 120 Stars. The hardest part for me was Luigi's Purple Coins, which I found more difficult than anything in Sunshine, partly because of the terrible camera. There were some sharp turns and it just took a few split-seconds more to adjust the d-pad than it does the c-stick.

I was very impressed with how much fun most of it was, particularly how it drops you in the right place for whatever challenge it is. One of the later stages reminds me of Mario 64's Hazy Maze Cave, but it's much more fun because of the way you can drop into different bits from above. Brilliant!

Playing the first few stages again as Luigi, I'm not surprised I didn't much like it in the beginning - I still think the early stages (pre-Honeybee) are amongst the most confusing and disorientating. I feel the only really bad thing about the game though is that I don't feel any satisfaction at getting 120 Stars. With Mario Sunshine, when I got 120 Shine Sprites, I felt "Yes, I've mastered this game". With Galaxy, I have to get 240 before I can see the last stage, which I feel is a bigger chore than anything in Sunshine.

Still a great game, and I always enjoy Mario more than I expect, but it didn't quite have the spark to make me truly LOVE it! If Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker is a AAA, this is a AA.

Sunshine > Galaxy > 64

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but you might want to evaluate your decision to get 120 stars again just to see the final stage. I didn't realise, like you, how much of a disappointment the 'last stage'.

Sunshine > Galaxy > 64

Seriously!!!!!!!!

I'm not quite sure which I prefer out of Mario 64 and Galaxy, because 64 was all so new and exciting, Galaxy was just so refined, fun and epic! But OMG I'd put them >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over Sunshine! *yawn*

I didn't like controller Luigi enough to play through the entire same game again with him, so I didn't bother going for 240+ stars.

I really would have liked them to have made the game more worthwhile for a second play through... make it Super Luigi Galaxy and swap mario and peach with Luigi and Daisy in the cutscenes and change Bowsers speach respectively. That would have made a HUGE difference IMO.

Also, Mario games seriously lack any replayability I think. After completeing the game and trying a bit with Luigi I never played the game.

In this age of downloadable content, I hope SMG2 has a few downloadable challenges/levels/world etc...

Edited by Retro_Link

Also, Mario games seriously lack any replayability I think.

I think it's because they're so intense. The harder stages in the 3D games can take 20-50 attempts (or maybe I'm just rubbish!), so after I beat it I think "phew!" and just relax. There's a big sense of achievement though. And yeah, I really loved Sunshine. It's one of those games, like Wind Waker, I just "got" and didn't identify with the criticism.

As for Mario 64, it was great for its time, but even back in 1996 I remember thinking some of the stages were awful, like the desert and lava lands! I have downloaded it into my Wii, but I haven't been motivated to finish it again. I'd definitely say Galaxy is designed more towards fun.

All three are excellent though, and none of them disappointed me. I'm buying Galaxy 2 on release, that's for sure. :)

I'm buying Galaxy 2 on release, that's for sure. :)
Definately!! It's great that you came round to loving the game!

Sunshine > Galaxy > 64

:o How anyone can put Sunshine over Galaxy or 64 amazes me! Galaxy was by no means perfect (didn't really like the comet stars, which had me doing the same task over again), but it's miles better than the coin collectothon that was Sunshine.

And like dwarf says, I really wouldn't go through it with Luigi just yet - the final stage is certainly not worth it. Leave it a few months / years or else you may get turned off by doing the same levels you've only just spent 20+ hours all over again for a meagre reward.

I still haven't finished my second play through of Galaxy. I love it, obviously, but going straight back in, you run the risk of turning the game into a grind- and it doesn't deserve that.

Galaxy is probably in my top 3 games of all time... but that 'reward' for getting 240 stars was pathetic. They better have something far bigger and more interesting for Galaxy 2.

Galaxy is probably in my top 3 games of all time... but that 'reward' for getting 240 stars was pathetic. They better have something far bigger and more interesting for Galaxy 2.
What do you get for the 242nd star?

You get a 'message from Nintendo' on the Wii menu, and get to collect a piss-easy star in the same place you start the game. I.e shit reward

Haha, that reminds me of myself being a dumb fuck:laughing:

This little vid convinced me to get all the stars with Luigi too and also coninvinced me that.....well...you saw it, haha.

I genuinely thought it was real, not sure what I was on at the time....

Still, I'm someone who can say to have collected all the stars with both Red 'stache and Green 'stache.:hehe:

Also, Mario games seriously lack any replayability I think. After completeing the game and trying a bit with Luigi I never played the game.

I disagree. You might not play it again in the following week, but you will eventually. And when I say "you" here, I'm not talking about you specifically. :heh:

I must've finished Mario 64 some 10 times since 1997, and it's still as brilliant today as it was back then and I have to replay it again sometime, it's been a few years since I played any N64 game. When I bought SMG in 2007 I got all 242 stars and, yes, didn't touch it again until recently. But last week I began a new playthrough of the game and today I got the 61st and I'm loving the game just as much as I did 3 years ago, maybe more. I'm taking my time in nearly all stars, noticing many details again and some new I didn't notice back then. The game has great replayability, in my opinion, especially since you can play it for hours or just 5 minutes, get just 1 or 2 stars, save and quit.

As for Mario 64, it was great for its time, but even back in 1996 I remember thinking some of the stages were awful, like the desert and lava lands!

The Desert and the Lava levels in SM64 are 2 of my favourite levels in the game, but I guess to each his own. I guess I have a soft spot for desert levels because Dusty Dune Galaxy is also one of my favourite levels in SMG.

Bad levels in 64, or at least boring ones, I'd have to mention Tall Tall Mountain and Tiny-Huge Island, which are my least favourite ones.

The Desert and the Lava levels in SM64 are 2 of my favourite levels in the game, but I guess to each his own.

Definitely agree with that

I liked Tall Tall Mountain, the Lava and Desert areas.

Wet Dry World was easily my least favourite level, it just seemed so uninspired, just flooded concrete!

Also wasn't a huge fan of Hazy Maze Cave.

I have just recently gotten back into this game :D I stopped playing when I beat Bowser at pretty much the minimum star count. But my g/f has been playing through it and that gave me the kick to pick it back up again, I'm now at 115 stars. Such a wonderful game, I had almost forgotten.

I was looking for a hidden star in Deep Dark Galaxy and instead I came across some (quite hard to reach) hidden musical notes that played a classic tune from Super Mario World. Nostalgia ftw.