Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gameplay adictions, like diferent stages out of the sneaking action realm? Every game in stores today should be like that, no matter what genre it's in, MGS would just have stopped in time if otherwise. 10 hours of the same gaming experience are dull for todays standard.

Cutscenes and presentation make (or break) a MGS, simple as that. about considering them a filler... well, you could consider playable parts a filler in MGS, it's just the type of game it is, a interactive movie, short (for a game), and if you take the interactive part you have just that, a CG movie.I don't question that, like I stated it's your opinion, and I can understand that.

Lets take a look at MGS1 on the ps1, and mgs2

The level design , or setting rather was very similar, narrow corridors, tanker setting was almost a repeat of shadow moses.

Holding people up, peeking and shooting, smarter AI, this is just some of the examples that has been bought into the series to enchance the gameplay. MGS3 proved that even more can be done. They completely scrapped the indoor setting and opted for a jungle setting. Not only did this make a drastic new setting to the MGS series but this also gave endless possibilities of what you could do.

Camoflauge, CQC, scavenging for food, again, some of the many examples of how MGS3 has evolved the series.

Yes, I did (play them). the story is the same right? then it's the same game; it's not a remake. it's just a reharshed version with extras done after the original release, so the sales won't drop after x months and they get more profits, but IMO they screw early adopters, and in future versions might even damage sales of the product on launch since people other than fans may wait.

Its not a rehash, people say playing castlevania DS on the DS lite rather then the DS makes it seem like a whole new game. yet its the same game.

We arent talking about this here, mgs2 substance is easily explainable, it was made for PC Xbox and ps2, it had 20+ hours of VR missions. I do not call that a rehash. It also gave people who did not own mgs2 or a ps2 a chance to play.

Subsistence, well its 3 discs for one, 1st disc has the original game, with 2 sets of cameras, this could change the experience to a great degree, second disc, has the online mode, it has the MSX versions of Metal gear, and metal gear 2: solid snake, MG2 was never ever released in english until now. Disc 3 is a recompiled directors cut if you will of all the cutscenes. Frankly, why would i care about these if i didnt care about MGS. You can call it milking or whatever you want, I have seen much much worse examples, and these "rehashes" are clearly aimed at the fans. This does not stop it from being an excellent game Ign gave it a 9.9 for christs sake.

[quot]If I bought sons of liberty or snake eater I'd be pissed by the "reharsh versions" sure, they bring more content, but then Konami should just have released it on game's launch, or make a more expensive collectors edition...

Kinda like, why didnt Nintendo release the DS Lite in the first place?

Nice arguments going on in here time for me to enter the fray.

I love the MGS series ( probably not as much as booker ) but I have to admit that the series is probably best known for its cutscenes rather than its gameplay.

Dont get me wrong, when MGS came out it was both the story and the stelth based gameplay that got it noticed but as the other sequels came out it became apparent that it was all about the storyline. You came prove this by how fast you can complete all the MGS games by skipping the cutscenes, the games last like 3-5 hours tops.

Dabooker is right though in saying that MGS series has always been about presentation. The music, sounds and storyline all play an important part of the game. I dont class MGS series as a game, more of an experience and I love each and every cutscene that are in all of the games.

In regards to Zelda being released in 2 different versions I have to applaud Nintendo for doing it. It is being supportive of its fans who have a Gamecube and dont want to upgrade to the Wii yet and at the same time its catering for those who want to play the game on the Wii with a few extra features.

I agree that the game is most famous for the cutscenes, but then you have the heart of a director directing this game.

And personally i dont care that nintendo are making 2 versions, im getting both anyhoo (who knows how rare the cube version might be)

When is MGS4 estimated for release at the moment then, because I can't see Sony cutting the price within the first year.

its coming out 2007, now, Im not saying it WILL come out then, but i strongly predict october/november (US/Japan) based on the previous games release

All i'm going to say is although I have no interest in the PS3 and definately won't buy one, if Shenmue III was released exclusively for it i'd simply have to buy it, simple as that. People could think i'm stupid for doing this, I don't care. I love Shenmue too much, like booker loves MGS.

I could afford it as well, I could snap up ten of em at launch if I was so inclined - but I simply couldn't justify spending that much on a toy, especially one without any games which make me think "I want one!"

Since when was a piece of expensive computer game equipment a toy? I could see where you were coming from if you were referring to early products like the NES or Mastersystem, something that fisher price could have made (lots of plastic). But the PS3 is far from a toy.

Now I'm not pro PS3 but all this nonsense about it being toy is just bullshit, you don't call Stereo players toys or dvd players.

As for MGS4 I could be tempted, loved the first two, rented the third and didn't really like it, but I've been meaning to buy it on the cheap. I definitely won't be buying a PS3 until they are cheaper though.

Thats excellent news.

only according to the front of the latest issue of 360 though.

still its pretty much been guarenteed the 360 will get it at some point-perhaps sony were going to lock Ubi into a PoP style christmas contract.

Its not a rehash, people say playing castlevania DS on the DS lite rather then the DS makes it seem like a whole new game. yet its the same game.

We arent talking about this here, mgs2 substance is easily explainable, it was made for PC Xbox and ps2, it had 20+ hours of VR missions. I do not call that a rehash. It also gave people who did not own mgs2 or a ps2 a chance to play.

Subsistence, well its 3 discs for one, 1st disc has the original game, with 2 sets of cameras, this could change the experience to a great degree, second disc, has the online mode, it has the MSX versions of Metal gear, and metal gear 2: solid snake, MG2 was never ever released in english until now. Disc 3 is a recompiled directors cut if you will of all the cutscenes. Frankly, why would i care about these if I didn't care about MGS. You can call it milking or whatever you want, I have seen much much worse examples, and these "rehashes" are clearly aimed at the fans. This does not stop it from being an excellent game Ign gave it a 9.9 for christs sake.

It's the same game with the extras that should have come with the original. Instead of making it player's choice or something they outdate the original release...

You're giving me reason though... in future releases MGS might sell less at launch, because we just know Konami will do a better version of it... why pay full price at launch?

Kinda like, why didn't Nintendo release the DS Lite in the first place?
I don't have one.

It's a console though, it's supposed to last 5 years out there, and it had a "face lifting" it's diferent than releasing a "DS 1,5" (or putting 20 hours of VR missions in it :shock: )

Since when was a piece of expensive computer game equipment a toy? I could see where you were coming from if you were referring to early products like the NES or Mastersystem, something that fisher price could have made (lots of plastic). But the PS3 is far from a toy.

Now I'm not pro PS3 but all this nonsense about it being toy is just bullshit, you don't call Stereo players toys or dvd players.

Yep, the fact it's for playing games with doesn't matter, something being a toy or not depends on how much plastic it contains. Games consoles are toys. And, for that matter, gaming PCs are toys. I really don't see why the industry and gamers should be in denial of this fact (Although some companies are more than others). It doesn't matter if it looks like Fisher Price made it or if SkyNet made it, the purpose of the NES and the PS3 is essentially the same. They're a great toy, they can be very expensive toys, but they're still toys. And you know what? Playing with toys is nothing to be ashamed of.

[whisper]Psst... Shino just played 1/10 of the MGS: TS, so his opinion is invalid.[/whisper]

And MGS: TS ROCKS!

That's bullshit! I played 9/10 of the game, I got bored at the end near the liquid metal part.

And after this, I think I have no friends left. :angry:

If anyone here likes AzuManga, and more specifically Osaka-chan, you'll like Blue_Ninja0. He also doesn't filter what his brain thinks and what his mouth should say.

Sony has confirmed on its official PlayStation 3 site that the low-end $500 PlayStation 3 configuration will not be able to play Blu-Ray movies in their full 1080p resolution. Playback of Blu-Ray discs at 1080p requires an HDMI connection, which the $500 model lacks.

From the site (emphasis mine):

* Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately.Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.

** HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.

In short: if you want to get the full benefits of Blu-Ray, you'll need the $600 PlayStation 3, which does have an HDMI connection.

Sony has confirmed on its official PlayStation 3 site that the low-end $500 PlayStation 3 configuration will not be able to play Blu-Ray movies in their full 1080p resolution. Playback of Blu-Ray discs at 1080p requires an HDMI connection, which the $500 model lacks.

From the site (emphasis mine):

* Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately.Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.

** HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.

In short: if you want to get the full benefits of Blu-Ray, you'll need the $600 PlayStation 3, which does have an HDMI connection.

And you'll have to fork out on a HDMI cable.

Now THIS is hilarious:

The videogames industry is no longer focused on improving graphics, according to Sony Computer Entertainment UK boss Ray Maguire, with attention now turning to artificial intelligence to make games more compelling.

Speaking at the BAFTA headquarters in London, at an event designed to underline the British Academy's new commitment to the videogame medium, Maguire said that the power of the central processors in the next-generation consoles meant that graphics were no longer top priority for developers.

"We are no longer interested in graphics per se, because graphics chips can do that for us," he commented, "but the central processors of all the new games machines are about making games more compelling by adding in artificial intelligence."

"The Cell chip is so powerful it can do 256 million calculations per second... That means one thing for us in the videogames industry: artificial intelligence."

Maguire told the audience that since he started working in the videogames industry in 1991, the focus had been strongly on improving graphics - but that graphics have now reached a point where they are so good that developers must look elsewhere for the next big step forward.

As an example, he asked the audience at BAFTA to consider the game character of Lara Croft and her movie counterpart, played by Angelina Jolie - arguing that the most important difference between the two is not visual, but lies instead in the fact that Jolie has a brain and human emotions.

He showed off a proof of concept video showing a rendered female character auditioning for a movie role, and talking through her relationship with her husband from meeting him, through to her decision to murder him after discovering that he was having an affair. Maguire highlighted the gamut of emotions which went through the character, claiming that this kind of emotional impact will be possible in game characters on next-gen systems.

"We're not talking about graphics any more," Maguire concluded. "We're talking about performance and we're talking about art."

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19430

Funny, how hypocrit "graphics don't matter" stance is, could it be another downgrade in the horizon? :grin: or is it that the graphics on PS3 are stuck on X360 level? :woops:

One thing I know for sure... AI on PS3 and X360 should be no match for any PC CPU today, as both console's CPU's are just crap at general purpose processing.

Unlike he states... It really wasn't a concern when designing their architectures, they simplified general purpose processing threads to achieve more MHz (and more fill rate), there are no 3,2 GHz PowerPC's out there, old PowerMacs only achieved 2,5 GHz, for a good reason.

A Xenon @ 3,2 GHz is actually equivalent to a Pentium IV Celeron 1,7 GHz when it comes to general purpose. PS3's CELL is no better. (actually it could be worse. Xenon has 3 cores after all, while PS3 has one PPC raped custom core with 7 SPE's that are only suitable to run microcode.

But generally speaking... a Xenon core @ 3,2 GHz is 2 times as powerfull as the original Pentium 733 MHz of the first Xbox in real world general purpose... impressive, heh?

Still PS3 will see a big improvement in AI since PS2 was so horrible at it in the first place.

Also considering Online is supposed to be the future aswell there will be a lot of games where AI is no longer needed since you have real oponents.

All i'm going to say is although I have no interest in the PS3 and definately won't buy one, if Shenmue III was released exclusively for it i'd simply have to buy it, simple as that. People could think i'm stupid for doing this, I don't care. I love Shenmue too much, like booker loves MGS.

I totally agree, this is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through his comments. Shenmue is similar to MGS (not in gameplay terms) in that there are a lot of cutscenes and it's all about the story and the experience, but there is still a solid (if short) game in there aswell. If Shenmue III is released only on PS3 I will buy one.

He showed off a proof of concept video showing a rendered female character auditioning for a movie role, and talking through her relationship with her husband from meeting him, through to her decision to murder him after discovering that he was having an affair.

Yeah but can she eat a flower and gain the ability to throw fireballs? I think not

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!