Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Crash

Second time seeing it, and it's still so emotional raw and the only film that actually drives straight into me like a bullet. I feel I'm a very emotional intelligent person, and this film is simply superb on all counts. While it loses some of it's relevance in the UK, and especially for someone like me living in Edinburgh, where it is rare to see an African American, it is still mind-blowing.

Shocking, and essential viewing for everyone. Everyone should see this, just as part of them growing as a person. It makes you question yourself, and you realise just how much we assume, judge and more.

10/10 - Virtually flawless in it's message, terrifying, sad and soul shattering.

The film I watched on Halloween - Hostel Part 2

Boring plot, dull characters and lame torture scenes. Awful film

1/10

Death at a Funeral

One good actor mixed with a load of poor actors and hardly any good jokes or funny bits.

6/10 - 3 points are just for Alan Tudyk.

:blank: no thanks

so i cant like a film that other people dont like righttttttttttttttttttttttt :indeed:

yea i like hadouken...so fucking what everyone has different tastes...be it music...film...tv or anything else.

as for saw they wouldnt continue making them if everyone hated them....there are fans that actually LIKE the films.

insult after insult because i rated a poor film (to you) highly and you are the one calling me a idiot....ironic

so i got no taste in music or films because i like stuff you dont like

Ah... here it comes again, the sweet sound of stupidity. You can love a film that people hate, although that doesn't mean it's actually any good. Hell, that's problem with most people, you automatically assume that just because you like something, it's good. You aren't capable of admiting that something you like may be bad. Take me... I love lot's of bad movies and music artists, but I'm aware of such. That's what makes a good critique: impartiallity.

And secondly, a quick note... be it on music, films or whatever, the only people who use the "opinion trump card" are the likes of you: "caj" watchers. You don't hear or see any person who has any type of insight on such cultural matters relying on opinion as a means to justify their shitty taste. We know how to admit that we like said crappy film without having the need to tell ourselves that the movie is good. The movie is crap but I still like it, so? My self-esteem does not deppend on any type of unjustified gratifications.

So... as much as you may like Hadouken, you must admit that they're a shitty band. I mean, I love Klaxons and I know they're a downright complete fucking pile of shit. I still love them though. I wonder why most people are so reluctant to admit that something they love is shit...

No, you've got no taste in movies in music because you simply don't have any idea what the hell is out there... You may have a "taste", but it's so undisputably underpacked with experience that it doesn't even blip on any radar.

Oh... and of course Saw has a lot of fans, it's too predictably formulaic not to. And since when is fanbase any type of quality seal?? I mean, if Britney Spears is a millionaire, something must be wrong with public opinion.

Mister Lonely

Saw this on Monday. The new film from Harmony Korine, due to released in the UK sometime next March. It's his first film since "Julien Donkey-Boy" in 1999 and is in many ways a huge departure from his earlier films. It has more of a coherent plot and a much lighter tone. It's still quintessentially Korine though, featuring eccentric and interesting characters and a wonderful atmosphere throughout.

The plot of the film revolves around a Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna) who is living an unfullfilling life in Paris, his only decent job is playing to a room full of old people at a local rest home. Whilst performing there one day he meets a Marylin Monroe impersonator (Samatha Morton) whom he strikes up a friendship with. She invites him back to her home in Scotland, a commune for celebrity impersonators. She lives there with her husband Charlie Chaplin, daughter Shirley Temple and a host of other characters including Abraham Lincoln, The Three Stooges, Little Red Riding Hood, The Queen and Buck Wheat. They spend the rest of the film building a stage and putting together "the greatest show on earth" so that they can wow the locals and achieve true stardom.

There is a second narrative running alongside this and seemingly unrelated. It involves a priest (Werner Herzog) and a group of skydiving nun's in South America. It feels very similar both tonally and thematically to the main plot and contains some wonderful, mesmerizing cinematography. Infact, the cinematography in "Mister Lonely" is entirely wonderful, brimming with colour and wonderfully imaginative set-ups. In my view Korine is one of the strongest visual directors working today, his previous films are also a delight to watch with equally astonishing use of the camera.

In a talk that Korine gave last Sunday at the National Film Theatre, he remarked how he makes films that represent his current state of mind. Watching "Mister Lonely" is a film about a struggle with one's own identity and the struggle to hold onto your dreams on beliefs. According to Korine, he lost his belief in cinema after "Julien Donkey-Boy" and found himself to have no interest in filmmaking, no way to put his experiences across in the medium of film. It took him 8 long years to get his belief back and "Mister Lonely" is a fine and very personal return to cinema for Harmony Korine and I look forward to the films that he makes in the future.

9/10

Oxigen Waste: I'm sure you will, but you should definately watch this when it gets to Portugal (probably around March). I feel that you will enjoy it a lot more than Julien Donkey-Boy, it has a much nicer atmosphere and a wonderful, poignant ending, very reminiscent of Herzog's work.

Ah... here it comes again, the sweet sound of stupidity. You can love a film that people hate, although that doesn't mean it's actually any good.

Not again. Can someone give this guy a "Review the last film you saw" thread or something? As this one is for rating how much you like/enjoyed a film.

Mister Lonely

Saw this on Monday. The new film from Harmony Korine, due to released in the UK sometime next March. It's his first film since "Julien Donkey-Boy" in 1999 and is in many ways a huge departure from his earlier films. It has more of a coherent plot and a much lighter tone. It's still quintessentially Korine though, featuring eccentric and interesting characters and a wonderful atmosphere throughout.

The plot of the film revolves around a Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna) who is living an unfullfilling life in Paris, his only decent job is playing to a room full of old people at a local rest home. Whilst performing there one day he meets a Marylin Monroe impersonator (Samatha Morton) whom he strikes up a friendship with. She invites him back to her home in Scotland, a commune for celebrity impersonators. She lives there with her husband Charlie Chaplin, daughter Shirley Temple and a host of other characters including Abraham Lincoln, The Three Stooges, Little Red Riding Hood, The Queen and Buck Wheat. They spend the rest of the film building a stage and putting together "the greatest show on earth" so that they can wow the locals and achieve true stardom.

There is a second narrative running alongside this and seemingly unrelated. It involves a priest (Werner Herzog) and a group of skydiving nun's in South America. It feels very similar both tonally and thematically to the main plot and contains some wonderful, mesmerizing cinematography. Infact, the cinematography in "Mister Lonely" is entirely wonderful, brimming with colour and wonderfully imaginative set-ups. In my view Korine is one of the strongest visual directors working today, his previous films are also a delight to watch with equally astonishing use of the camera.

In a talk that Korine gave last Sunday at the National Film Theatre, he remarked how he makes films that represent his current state of mind. Watching "Mister Lonely" is a film about a struggle with one's own identity and the struggle to hold onto your dreams on beliefs. According to Korine, he lost his belief in cinema after "Julien Donkey-Boy" and found himself to have no interest in filmmaking, no way to put his experiences across in the medium of film. It took him 8 long years to get his belief back and "Mister Lonely" is a fine and very personal return to cinema for Harmony Korine and I look forward to the films that he makes in the future.

9/10

Oxigen Waste: I'm sure you will, but you should definately watch this when it gets to Portugal (probably around March). I feel that you will enjoy it a lot more than Julien Donkey-Boy, it has a much nicer atmosphere and a wonderful, poignant ending, very reminiscent of Herzog's work.

I was already intending to watch it... after your review, I definetly will, as soon as I can. Thanks. ;)

Not again. Can someone give this guy a "Review the last film you saw" thread or something? As this one is for rating how much you like/enjoyed a film.

:heh: I am annoying, ain't I? :D

its a bit hard to answer when you insult me yet again right off the bat.

ok where to start..

actually i just be bothered to answer we cant agree i kinda see where your coming from but i see things a bit different.

lets leave at that and lets just let the thread continue (until the next one you disagree with :heh: :heh: )

Rendition

A thought provoking film about the US government interogating and torturing folk, secretly taking them to another country to do so. Split up into several sub plots/storys some of which seem slightly irrelevant (Although on the same theme)

As always Jake Glyenhal is excellent in it, but it would of been better if he had more screen time. Dont particularly feel we got to know many of the characters very well, but of what little we did see the relationships were intricate and interesting.

Absolutely no idea why they set one of the sub plots in the past - as you find out. Seems utterly pointless and utterly confusing.

Despite these improvements that could of been made, still a great film.

7.68/10

Twelve Monkey's

Think I have got/seen the majority of Bruce Willis' film's by now. Nice little film with a decent plot, but it had a weak ending as I would of loved to see more. Loved the scene's in the mental instution, and Brad`Pitt who I usually despise in film, was very good.

7/10

Twelve Monkey's

Think I have got/seen the majority of Bruce Willis' film's by now. Nice little film with a decent plot, but it had a weak ending as I would of loved to see more. Loved the scene's in the mental instution, and Brad`Pitt who I usually despise in film, was very good.

7/10

Do not insult master Terry's masterpiece!!!

And how can you possibly despise Pitt?? What films've you actually seen with him that made you dislike him so??

Coz I will make him your newly loved actor in no time.

Do not insult master Terry's masterpiece!!!

And how can you possibly despise Pitt?? What films've you actually seen with him that made you dislike him so??

Coz I will make him your newly loved actor in no time.

I am not insulting it, just saying that the ending could have been better :heh: I loved Brazil btw

I think I hate Pitt because of his performance's in Thelma and Louise. and Mrs and Mrs Smith. Think I should re-watch Fight Club and Se7en tho, as I haven't watched them 'properly'.

Finding Nemo

Great movie. Dori rocks, her whale impressions crack me up everytime. It's one of Pixars (and Disney's) best movies. A brillaint peice of movie making and anyone from any age can enjoy it.

Bluddy awesome movie!

9.1/10

(Awaits a tirade of comments from Oxigen saying how wrong I am :p )

I am not insulting it, just saying that the ending could have been better :heh: I loved Brazil btw

I think I hate Pitt because of his performance's in Thelma and Louise. and Mrs and Mrs Smith. Think I should re-watch Fight Club and Se7en tho, as I haven't watched them 'properly'.

I know you're not insulting it, I was just kidding. : peace:

You should defo rewatch Se7en and most of all Fight Club... god damn, Fight Club is, in my opinion, the best film to have come out of Hollywood in the 90's.

Finding Nemo

Great movie. Dori rocks, her whale impressions crack me up everytime. It's one of Pixars (and Disney's) best movies. A brillaint peice of movie making and anyone from any age can enjoy it.

Bluddy awesome movie!

9.1/10

(Awaits a tirade of comments from Oxigen saying how wrong I am :p )

Hey!! You're wrong about that last statement. I completely agree with you. Nemo is great. I love it. Toy Story 2 > Toy Story > Ratatouille > Nemo > Monster's Inc. That's the pixar order of goodness in my opinion! Now Cars and A Bug's Life... those are shit, not Nemo.

Oh!!! And The Incredibles is the worst pixar movie ever.

Hey!! You're wrong about that last statement. I completely agree with you. Nemo is great. I love it. Toy Story 2 > Toy Story > Ratatouille > Nemo > Monster's Inc. That's the pixar order of goodness in my opinion! Now Cars and A Bug's Life... those are shit, not Nemo.

I'm in shock, you actually agree with me! *stunned*

But, other than the fact you put Toy story 2 first I agree with you. The thing that ruined Toy Story 2 for me what the cowgirl character thing. She bugged the hell out of me. Bugs life isn't terrible by any means either (though obviously not as good as Pixars best by a long shot).

(btw, you missed out incredibles!)

The incredibles is up there with Finding Nemo for me. Such a fantastic film. What is it you don't like about it?

Honestly? Everything. I hate every single second of it. I can't stand it. I've watched it 3 times now and frankly hate every single character except Jack Jack, hate the story and it's "message" and most of all I hate the fact that it has absolutely no soul.

To make things worst, I had tons of expectations for it, because it was Brad Bird's first film since The Iron Giant, wich I absolutely love and just felt totally betrayed by Brad when I watched the movie. Luckily for him, Ratatouille is fantastic and I have gave him me forgiveness. Oh well.

I've never seen The Iron Giant. It's just never appealed to me really. I guess I'll have to catch it sometime.

But back to the incredibles. I've never really got a mesage out of it (though it's obviously about family etc), I've just got out of it the fact it's incredibly funny in places. Also some of the characters, like Jack Jack and Mr Incredibles boss are brilliant. The moment where he's just so utterly pissed off he throws him through all the office walls is great.

But yeah, I'll catch the Iron Giant sometime soon.

I've never seen The Iron Giant. It's just never appealed to me really. I guess I'll have to catch it sometime.

But back to the incredibles. I've never really got a mesage out of it (though it's obviously about family etc), I've just got out of it the fact it's incredibly funny in places. Also some of the characters, like Jack Jack and Mr Incredibles boss are brilliant. The moment where he's just so utterly pissed of he throws him through all the office walls is great.

But yeah, I'll catch the Iron Giant sometime soon.

I won't deny it, it has it's moments... but it just isn't good enough for me to like it.

Do watch Iron Giant... as soon as you can. I f***ing love it. :D

iron giant is overlooked, but i can see why. the story was probebly a bit slow for kids, as in there wasnt really any "action" to speak of, it was just a nice film about friendship, with a well written story and brilliant non verbal comunication.

still, i love the incredables. agree that the caracters are a little annoying, dash is certainly annoying, but i actualy love frozone, ok its ice man, but its samuel l jackson. add him to anything and he vastly improves it. hell hed have improved every single war to date.

and jack jack is the single best thing ever.