NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

I completely agree! And shamefully, this is the first movie ever that actually had me in tears :weep:

It reminded me of my nan's dog. Which coincidentally has probably had a stroke and may need putting down today. That's just unfair timing.

Nice to see a lot of love for Gran Torino in the thread.

Stardust

Nice film with a great mix of action and romance, with a very watchable cast.

8/10

North By Northwest

One of Hitchcock's best 'Wrong Man' films, but the finale at the house near Mount Rushmore, where Cary Grant just hides in the shadows for what feel like half an hour was very dull this time around.

8.5/10

Schindler's List

I fancied re-watching this after finishing reading The Boy In The Stripped Pyjamas. A remarkable film about a subject that should never be forgotten.

10/10

Black Hawk Down

A bit cliche at the beginning, with all the soldiers being business like and one being an "idealist", but the action is almost flawless. Plus Orlando Bloom falls out of a helicopter like a "special". Love this movie.

9/10

The Dark Knight

Decent film if somewhat predictable, Heath Ledger's excellent performance as the joker was definitely the high-point of the film for me.

8/10

The Three Musketeers

musketeers.jpg

I've always been a fan of this film, watched it many times. And whilst reading the source novel I've been meaning to watch it again, but didn't want to interlock the seperate plots in my mind. Since I've just finished the book, I'm semi-disappointed that the plots are so seperate, but not in a negative way. I always suspected that the movie would differ from the book, but not by this much.

Eight Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

Still annoyed I have to turn it over halfway through like a fucking cassette though.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Moulin Rouge

One of my favourite movies of all time.

I just love how weird, and wonderful it is. The showiness, the dark dank streets of Paris, the "underworld" as they call it. I just want to be in the middle of it, living it, ARGH I fucking love it.

Roxanne is my favourite musical number, you can really feel the aggression and the power coming from the dance, aswell as how it is sung, amazing.

The ending never fails to make me cry, such an emotional scene.

10/10

REC.

very impessed. i pussied out towards the end though :/

7/10

edit: ok so i watched the end...kinda. some creepy shit.

Edited by or else you will DIE

Repo: The Genetic Opera

Would have been better as a musical instead of an opera. Some bits should have been spoken instead of sung. There are some catchy songs in there (I actually got one from iTunes after watching it), they're just near the end. It's a shame that quite a few people will be put off by the first part of the film, it gets better as it goes on. Paris Hilton isn't even that bad. Apparently they didn't even want to give her an audition but as soon as she showed up and sang, they realised she was perfect.

It's definately unique, it just misses the mark with about half of the singing. Watch it if you liked Sweeney Todd. Might even be worth a watch if you didn't. I didn't and I quite like Repo.

7/10

The catchy tune I got from iTunes in case anyone was curious

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Goafer

Repo: The Genetic Opera

Would have been better as a musical instead of an opera. Some bits should have been spoken instead of sung. There are some catchy songs in there (I actually got one from iTunes after watching it), they're just near the end. It's a shame that quite a few people will be put off by the first part of the film, it gets better as it goes on. Paris Hilton isn't even that bad. Apparently they didn't even want to give her an audition but as soon as she showed up and sang, they realised she was perfect.

It's definately unique, it just misses the mark with about half of the singing. Watch it if you liked Sweeney Todd. Might even be worth a watch if you didn't. I didn't and I quite like Repo.

7/10

The catchy tune I got from iTunes in case anyone was curious

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I remember posting a vid on here last year about that movie before it was out -- it totally flew under my radar, as I've not heard from it since! Will definitely look out for this.

The Big Lebowski

One of my favourite films. Still just as good as I remember. Not massively groundbreaking in any way, it just works really well. 2 notable moments: "No one fucks with the Jesus" and the mug. Awesome.

8.5/10

Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

Made me laugh, better than the first one in my opinion and I really liked the first one

8/10

This has been quiet.

Cruel Intentions

All over the place for me. Some bits I thought were great. Some bits were em...right.... Like the

running over by a car

. I would have lol'd if it wasn't so bad.

Also, fuck me the 90's were bad for fashion. They all looked like such douches, except at the end, when they were in uniform. Maybe that's what school uniform is in place for, to protect us from hideous fashion trends. Basically killed most of the sexiness.

Though Sarah Michelle Gellar with dark hair = YES!

Hated the main guy. His character and the actor. His face was fucking annoying to look at.

6/10

This has been quiet.

Cruel Intentions

All over the place for me. Some bits I thought were great. Some bits were em...right.... Like the

running over by a car

. I would have lol'd if it wasn't so bad.

Also, fuck me the 90's were bad for fashion. They all looked like such douches, except at the end, when they were in uniform. Maybe that's what school uniform is in place for, to protect us from hideous fashion trends. Basically killed most of the sexiness.

Though Sarah Michelle Gellar with dark hair = YES!

Hated the main guy. His character and the actor. His face was fucking annoying to look at.

6/10

I love the film to death, one of my guilty pleasures. Michelle Gellar is amazingly sexy throughout, and I love the end when Bittersweet Symphony kicks in.

I love the film to death, one of my guilty pleasures. Michelle Gellar is amazingly sexy throughout, and I love the end when Bittersweet Symphony kicks in.

The end is the best bit. As in the ending sequence, yeah.

Still a frustrating watch for me.

I didn't think the fashion sense was terrible, leaps and bounds beyond the 80's at least. Also, Ryan Phillipe is a bit douchey looking. I do like the film though. Apparently it has a sequel.....I don't even want to know how bad that turned out.

I didn't think the fashion sense was terrible, leaps and bounds beyond the 80's at least. Also, Ryan Phillipe is a bit douchey looking. I do like the film though. Apparently it has a sequel.....I don't even want to know how bad that turned out.

It has 2 sequels! :p

A friend of mine says the second one is awful...imagine what the third is like.

I think (in all honesty) they're excuses for sex scenes in school uniform. As far as I'm aware..?

It has 2 sequels! :p

A friend of mine says the second one is awful...imagine what the third is like.

I think (in all honesty) they're excuses for sex scenes in school uniform. As far as I'm aware..?

The second is awful (It was going to be a tv show, so the episodes were just stuck together to form a movie). But the third, is much, much better. Still terrible...but definitely better.

Tokyo Sonata: 7/10

Homeless Student: 8/10

The Day the Earth Stood Still: 6/10

Quantum of Solace: 4/10

A Chinese Odyssey Part 2: 8/10

Chinese Journey to the West TV series (doesn't really count): 10.9/10

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea: 8/10

Knowing

Poor, poor Nicholas Cage. Not even some pretty epic looking disasters can save him now. A brief timeline of the film: It might be good, ok it's not too bad so far, nice plane crash, still ok, still not that bad, OH CHRIST OH CHRIST OH SHITTING CHRIST WHY?!? End.

3/10 (oddly enough, the same as the number of disasters in the film. Coincidence? I think not)

I really wanted to see Tokyo Sonata but of course it was nowhere near me. Ponyo, have you found it through legal means or shall we not discuss it further?

I rewatched Iron Giant earlier. The ending did upset me a bit. Not tears (I am a man afterall :p) but it was touching.

I rewatched Iron Giant earlier. The ending did upset me a bit. Not tears (I am a man afterall :p) but it was touching.

Did you know? Vin Diesels only live action role, everything else he does is just a clever use of CGI and Green Screen.

No seriously, not joking

Kay, you got me I lied.

Did you know? Vin Diesels only live action role, everything else he does is just a clever use of CGI and Green Screen.

No seriously, not joking

Kay, you got me I lied.

I was going to type "What about Saving Private Ryan?" but just spotted the bit at the bottom.

Bugger. :heh:

Batman Forever

Despite being a massive Batman fan, I'd only ever seen this once before. Been looking for it on DVD, but they (just as I started looking) stopped being printed for whatever reason. Saw it in a shop again the other day.

It's awful, and just bad. Just like Batman & Robin. HOWEVER, I prefer Batman & Robin. The neon here was TOO extreme. In both films it's atrocious, trying to convey some future-noir-punk dystopiac thing, with the glow in the dark everything and the massive statues around the city, but it's too in your face here. It works better in the next one ("better" used loosely).

The villains are weak. Carrey, while entertaining, is just too OTT. It's like they just gave him carte blanche to pull as many faces and scream as much as he could throughout. Two Face was done shitly, and shouldn't have been in it. Riddler needed someone to play off, but not him.

Val Kilmer is my least favourite Batman. I prefer George Clooney, over him. Looks the part, but often is very wooden.

Kidman's character was just balls, so I couldn't tell if she played the part well or not.

But yeah. In Batman & Robin, they'd mastered the campiness, and Uma Thurman and Arnie are much better than Carrey and Lee Jones as villainous duos.

Hmm. Fun but not/10

lilja 4-ever

Sweet tapdancing christ this is depressing

ratings are meaningless/arbitrary number

I really wanted to see Tokyo Sonata but of course it was nowhere near me. Ponyo, have you found it through legal means or shall we not discuss it further?

I bought Ponyo on DVD last month from a big chain DVD shop for £2.50 and it also came with Tales of Earthsea on the same DVD, so I suppose that it only cost me £1.25.:grin: They must be selling ilegal DVDs along with their other stock because the cover for these 2 films also has some Princess Mononoke artwork on, which is pretty odd! I bought a Ghibli boxset from them in 2007 for £10 and that had 12 Studio Ghibli films on.

I saved £150-£200 on DVDs while in Malaysia compared to the prices on Yes Asia. I bought the Romance of the Three Kingdoms DVD boxset (80 episodes) for £50, compared to the £100+ price that I would have paid online for the same series.

Oh, I also bought and watched Panda, Kopanda! while there and that only cost me £2.50 and was well worth it! 10/10, it was even better than Totoro due to the extension of the story in the second part about the tiger.

Tokyo Sonata is a very good film, but it is depressing and the economic theme of the film is kind of over used in Japan at the moment, with the Homeless Student following a very similar theme of economic struggle (that film was the kind of film that is so depressing that you only need to watch it once in a life time in order to appreciate it). Tokyo Sonata got pretty grim towards the end but I wont spoil it for you if you haven't watched it yet.

Other films I've watched just recently:

The Butterfly Lovers: 7/10

Wushu - The Young Generation: 3/10 (didn't bother watching it to the end, I suppose its for kids who enjoy martial arts!)

Some Chinese film about a teenage boy and a prostitute who was in his dad's taxi when it drove into a river: 8/10

Edited by Pyxis