NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

I'd rate Star Wars Episode IV 10/10.

It's a perfect movie.

I just love how all the characters are really well developed as characters. Like Leia being really annoyed at the fact she's been kidnapped, and a group of shites have come to rescue her.

And I love the fact the story is so self-contained. It must have felt so lovely in 1978 or whenever when it was released, in that such an expansive galaxy is mentioned, but only a tiny window is shown.

I love the costumes aswell. Darth Vader is such a lovely original design when you think about it.

It's just been parodied far too many times. If it were less famous it would be the loveliest.

I'd give it like...7.9 or something. It's not bad at all, but there's other action adventure films I think are better. And they aren't "developed" that much in the single film...that's just her having a personality.

I don't think Darth Vader is particulartly original. Very reminiscent of the alien/space invader designs found in comic books yonks before.

I reserve full judgement until I watch it properly again. But it's in no way on par with other films I've given 10/10.

I don't think Darth Vader is particulartly original. Very reminiscent of the alien/space invader designs found in comic books yonks before.

Got any early images?

dr+doom+republican.jpg

Also thinking of the big "bug-eye" alien/spacesuit designs. Ones like the suit Lilandra wears in the Phoenix saga. (Before she reveals herself)

Not sure where to find pics of that though.

However, I'll concede Vader is bit "darker", in terms of having a mask that looks like it was fashioned out of something found at a concentration camp.

Star Wars never tries to hide the fact that it takes ideas from a ton of films/TV shows from all over the world. It's partly why it's so great: It's incredibly familiar and yet it's it's own unique thing at the same time.

I'm 2/3 through Battlestar Galactica: Razor. While it's literally filler, It's interesting to see the history of Battlestar Pegasus and Admiral Cain. Lots of "horrors of war" stuff.

I'll rate (though it's not really a "film") tomorrow when done.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

I actually quite liked this. It's completely ridiculous, but i found it quite charming. It would be strange and funny to date a super hero afterall. I like Owen Wilson's brother too (i forget his name), but he was great in Blue Streak. You can definitely see the resemblence between them and the way they act and talk.

Anyway, mindless semi-fun on the whole.

6.5/10

The Conqueror

with john wayne. awful awful awful - one of the only films that i havent finished watching! shall wiki te rest of it for my presentation

Spartacus

- 3 and a half hours of my life i will never get back again! at least i now have seen where " i am spartacus" comes from...would have been a better film if i hadnt had to write notes on it

Troy

- Orlando Bloom makes an unconving Paris (of troy - not hilton) loved how they glossed over the whole Achillie / Patroclus relationship (cousins now as opposed to alleged lovers)... didnt want Hector to die!!! or Achillies

Troy[/b]

- Orlando Bloom makes an unconving Paris (of troy - not hilton) loved how they glossed over the whole Achillie / Patroclus relationship (cousins now as opposed to alleged lovers)... didnt want Hector to die!!! or Achillies

You poke fun at Orlando Bloom, but not dumbass Brad Pitt??! It's his fault that I never finished and never will try to finish Troy.

The Conqueror

with john wayne. awful awful awful - one of the only films that i havent finished watching! shall wiki te rest of it for my presentation

Spartacus

- 3 and a half hours of my life i will never get back again! at least i now have seen where " i am spartacus" comes from...would have been a better film if i hadnt had to write notes on it

The Conqueror is a gigantic piece of shit and I fail to understand why someone would watch it for a presentation as it's completely inaccurate, historically...

And Spartacus is awesome, be silenced and respect the master that is Stanley Kubrick (although it's one of his worst films).

Troy

don't tell me you didn't expect that? :heh:

umm, yes. lame film. It's just all a bit naff, innit. Banna is good as Hector (a criminally underrated character across literature and history. good too see it's continued!) and the cinematography and choreography were pretty spectacular. Bout it though. it mauls the myth and the literature it's based on- a hate crime in my classically educated little bubble :blank:

Ha, you wanna see the source material be raped? Read Ilium. Luckily, it rapes the most awesome way possible.

synopsis me happy.

Wut?

you want a synopsis from me, or did you read a synopsis and it appeased you?

Battlestar Galactica; Razor

Hardly a movie, but not quite just an extended episode. It's a bit like one of those tie-in comics, where it fits into continuity, and has the main characters, but introduces other main characters we just happened to have never noticed before.

Interesting though, seeing Pegasus' journey. And I clapped at Pegasus six. Hi ginger hair.

Alos interesting, and surprising was the flashback to the first war, and Bill Adama doing the shizz on that planet.

Effectively though, the whole film was just a way to get the last line by the old man hybrid in, wasn't it?

Interesting /10

Die Hard: With a Vengeance

Seen it so many times and it's brilliant, all of it.

Just thought I'd mention how I love that every time I watch it there's about 30 seconds when I forget how to do the 4 gallons of water and working it out again is so good, heh. Also, that scene is in Tompkins Square park, one of my favourite places in NYC.

What a useless review, meh.

10/10

The Devil Wears Prada

Enjoyable but fucking stupid. She got guilt tripped every other second. Why none of her friends could be happy for her is beyond me.

The ending would have been much better if she hadn't of quit. As it was in succumbed to the obvious.

6.5/10

X-Files: I Want To Believe

Even though people told me this was a bad movie I had still held out some hope that it would have some of that X-Filesy goodness that I used to love........not suprisingly that did not come about.

The whole movie just felt pointless, not even like it was building to something that never appeared but that it didnt start building at all. It wasnt even a supernatural story, just a crappy psychic one with any psychic bits that were written so vague you could have done them completely without that component.

Plus whats with Scullys side story, I know I didnt care about some kid in her hospital when she should have been out with Mulder yelling SCIENCE! every chance she got.

Links with the series:

How was Mulders fake trial just brushed under the rug so easily? "Oh dont worry Mulder, they framed you for murder and treason, gave you the death penalty but apparently the FBI are willing to forget all that because some young agent asked real nice?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The only reason this is getting the score it is, is because it was god damn Mulder and Scully! (Barely)

4/10

Elephant

Wanted to see this for ages, as I enjoyed the style of Paranoid Park, also directed by Gus Van Sant.

This was a spare and short affair, at only 75 minutes long, and the actual events (without proper analysis) taking place over the span of like...half an hour.

I did like the style, and the way that it focused on these "insignificant" characters (on the long run). it plays with our common conceptions of characterization in film etc.

Actually very realistic at parts. Pretty traumatising. blah blah

8.7/10

Just thought I'd mention how I love that every time I watch it there's about 30 seconds when I forget how to do the 4 gallons of water and working it out again is so good, heh. Also, that scene is in Tompkins Square park, one of my favourite places in NYC.

10/10

your taste in movies makes you an ideal candidate for a wife for me.:heart:

Gran Torino

Woah. that was a good movie. from the opening scene you knew what was going to happen. clint was going to be a hard ass and take no crap, actualy, any film with him tells you that, if i saw him in the shops id think "shit, that guy aint gonna take any of my shit." it was an absolute treat to watch him act, it was a great performance all the way through.

the story it self was in essence pretty predictable, but managed to totaly sucker punch you at the same time. a few clever moments thrown in and a genuinly touching relationship.

9/10

10/10

I love the puzzle he gives them on the phone at the start as well. How does it go?...

As i was going to St. Ives

I met a man with seven wives

Every wife had seven sacks

Every sack had seven cats

Every something had seven something?!?!?

How many people were going to St. Ives?

Bruce: Well what the hell are they doing?!

Samual: Sitting in the fuckin road, how do i know?!

Love it.

Anyway...

The Break Up

Interesting film to watch with your girlfriend! I'm on Brooke's side for the most of it though, so we didn't get into an argument. Gary was an idiot and didn;t even try to apologise or talk to her. That night when they first argued and Brooke said she couldnt do it anymore, that was when he needed to talk to her. She was waiting in the bedroom and he just went out for a beer. Rookie mistake. Thats what ended the relationship, right there. After that, they never talked about what was wrong, they just acted out against each other.

Its funny though as im sure similar things have happened with couples. I like to think that i'd know not to be such a jerk and i would try talking it through. Still, it was a good watch. Sterotypical in some aspects yeah, but i'm sure most guys here like to play games so they understand Gary's point of view of getting home after work and wanting 20 mins to chill first before being grilled. But then again, women seem to have more will power than us as they come home and get straight to house work, cooking or whatever. Its crazy. They're like energizer bunnies, and they expect the same high standards from us sometimes, and thats when the arguments start.

Nice to have a love film that doesn't end all lovey dovey too. It felt more realsitic that way. Great acting in parts too, and some great lines from Vince Vaughn. Jen was also looking hot alot of the time. I still have a soft spot for her since Friends i guess!

8/10

Slumdog Millionaire

I'm not sure what I was expecting the film to be about, but this wasn't it. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. But what you get is a Fight Club style flashback thing, which I felt worked out alright. One thing I didn't like as such was that when the kids were young I couldn't tell the difference between them at times, which confused me a little.

Nine Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

The Little Mermaid

I want Disney back to the way they were, when they were making these incredible magical films :(

Oh and the film, perfection.

10/10

You poke fun at Orlando Bloom, but not dumbass Brad Pitt??! It's his fault that I never finished and never will try to finish Troy.

if i wanted to talk about everything that annoyed me about troy i would still be typing!

The Conqueror is a gigantic piece of shit and I fail to understand why someone would watch it for a presentation as it's completely inaccurate, historically...

And Spartacus is awesome, be silenced and respect the master that is Stanley Kubrick (although it's one of his worst films).

i t hought that if i talked about a film that was completly awful i could say.. u know... this is what NOT to do with a historical epic (epic in a bad way.. epically bad)

don't tell me you didn't expect that? :heh:

umm, yes. lame film. It's just all a bit naff, innit. Banna is good as Hector (a criminally underrated character across literature and history. good too see it's continued!) and the cinematography and choreography were pretty spectacular. Bout it though. it mauls the myth and the literature it's based on- a hate crime in my classically educated little bubble :blank:

i didnt know much about troy before i watched it... so yeh - he was the only good actor in it

(had to watch a modern take on a historical epic for comparison)

diane kruger is really really pretty though

watched the robe today and it was laughable!

how richard burton got a oscar nomination is like a mystery