N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Win a date with Tad Hamilton - just saw this on tv and thought it was actually ok! I remember laughing at this movie when it came out in the cinemas but now that i've actually watched it, its pretty decent.....mostly cos i can empathise with that dude who's after the main chick.....i just wish my scenario ended like the film :(

7/10

Tabloids rating something low is just to warn the unwashed masses that a film might be vaguely challenging or intellectual.

It might've been the point but this post just makes you sound like a smug snobby little twat.

On topic I have also read mixed reviews of Inglorious Bastards :P

It might've been the point but this post just makes you sound like a smug snobby little twat.

On topic I have also read mixed reviews of Inglorious Bastards :P

I'd rather come across as that than come across as believing anything in a tabloid as credible/worthwhile.

Mullholland Drive

Entertaining, and interesting to watch - and Camilla/Rita has a stunning face to watch - however, reading that it was originally going to be the pilot for a TV series and that David Lynch refused to explain the story at all, it feels as though he just collated ideas he had in his head (which were going to be backed up by a story), mashed them together into an intricate model made up of shit, and sat and watched people accept it.

Although some bits obvs do make sense.

Betty is obviously a part of Diane, since she's too naive and optimistic and good at acting to be a real person. And Diane is obviously envious of Camilla's acting success - why in the dream world Betty is called Camilla Rhodes on the photo.

Still, I can tell I hate David Lynch as a person. And while, yeah, it is well directed (differing use of light etc), I wouldn't have awarded it Best Director, since ultimately, I hate shit.

Great, but I'd prefer he wrote a good story, rather than presenting us a mish-mash of ideas that, let's not lie, are stunning, but offer me no relief, and in the fullness of time, leave me dry / 10.

Chairdriver; good for you for having your own opinion on the guy and the film. Mulholland Drive is less about artist's intentions and more about the audience of fart-smelling egotists who think their interpretations are paramount. I mean, I fit in this category -- I like the movie because of the thought processes that I come up with, rather than due to ascertaining the precise intentions behind it.

It's rather more like watching a fishtank than watching a film. You let your own mind drift around, contained only by the elements presented to you.

As I said to Paj - go watch Koyaanisqatsi. Beautifully made.

Mulholland Drive is one of my favourite films. I've read a lot of the interpretations, but tbh, it's not like it's MEANT to be deciphered outwith what is generally grasped after watching it.

I know Chair hates anything that can be construed as a waste of time though, so yeah.

I love the ambiguity, personally. I love Inland Empire even more I think, as the images and feelings it evokes are much more powerful than in Mulholland Drive. I really like that his films along those lines are more about what you feel and how you can't realy describe those feelings.

But that's just me. Jay, a fishtank is a good description sort of, though it kinda robs it of any artistic merit as a term. It's more than just "pretty", imo. Or whatever. I know what I'm trying to say. :p

---

Broken Embraces

broken-embraces-poster.jpg

Pedro Almodovar (<3)'s new film, thought it was brilliant.

At first it was a bit disorientating, not sure what to think for 20 mins or so, then suddenly it clicked with me and I was enthralled.

LOVE LOVE LOVE how he referenced his own film Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown, (which is awesome too) as Penelope Cruz's character is always seen to be filming a pastiche/parody of it in this film. Very funny in parts too. And touching.

Almodovar can write some great characters, and while his sitiuations seem fanciful and only-seen-in-a-movie, he's always aware of this, and somehow his characters feel more real because of it. Dunno.

8/10

Up!

As a Disney film it pretty much follows the pattern but it does not detract from the experience.

The strongest point of the film is obviously the characters, at least every character that is not an animal (but that´s just down to a personnel thing of not liking talking animals in a world where they don´t usually talk) and they are all well fleshed out.

Though the weakest point for me was the main plot,

the whole thing with the bird and the talking dog things

Overall this was very enjoyable film, has a couple of good chuckles and if you look past all the mandatory children aimed things, these film is surprisingly depressing at parts.

Let´s just say that some parts made me glassy-eyed.