Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Paris Olympics 2024 | 24th July to 11th August (Opening Ceremony 26th July)

The+2024+Olympics+(Paris),+Paris,+Olympi

Hot off the heels of Spain dazzling in Berlin and a Spaniard in the form of Alcaraz lighting up Wimbledon, it's time to set our sights on the next major sporting event in the calendar: the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris! 

The BBC have a pretty handy breakdown here on what's in store, and also handily point out that while the Opening Ceremony on the Seine doesn't take place until the 26th, the action actually begins on the 24th as ever with some of the earlier rounds of certain sports like the football, rugby sevens, handball and archery. 

So, does anyone else plan to tune in? Any particular events you love to check out, or any of the new events tickling your fancy? Any particular Olympics memories you have to share? 

Tokyo was a weird one for me a few years ago, especially with it being so sealed off due to COVID restrictions at the time, I didn't feel much enthused by it outside of the opening ceremony and the occasional clip of anime music being blasted in the background.

Think I'm much more in the mood for it this year, though. I've always loved to watch the swimming, the track & field events are always a blast, but I think I'd like to check out more of the gymnastics and lifting this time around, as I always seem to miss out on those events! Of the newer stuff, think I'll be looking out for the 3v3 basketball because I'm curious to see how it shakes out, as well as sport climbing, which definitely made some waves last time out! :bouncy:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

• Julius changed the title to Paris Olympics 2024 | 24th July to 11th August (Opening Ceremony 26th July)

As usual, and especially as I'm working from home and got no more uni stuff to do for 2 months, I will have this running in the background as long as I am at home :D

Haven't really checked what I want to follow but I'm always up for handball and basketball.

3 hours ago, Julius said:So, does anyone else plan to tune in? 

So, does anyone else plan to tune in?

Tokyo was a weird one for me a few years ago, especially with it being so sealed off due to COVID restrictions at the time, I didn't feel much enthused by it outside of the opening ceremony and the occasional clip of anime music being blasted in the background.

I don't have a TV license so won't be tuning in. I might watch a few clips via YouTube after the event or read the news about it online but that's it. Tokyo was such a muted affair that I lost a lot of interest in the whole thing, sorry.

I’ve always loved the Olympics, I think with Tokyo I managed to watch pretty much everything and I intend to do pretty much the same again this time. It would definitely be on in the background the whole way through. From that BBC site the things I’ll actually make an effort to watch will be:

• Opening ceremony: 26 July, River Seine
  • Archery: 25 July to 4 August, Invalides
  • Athletics: 1-11 August, Stade de France (track & field), Trocadero (race walks), Invalides (marathons)
  • Beach volleyball: 27 July to 10 August, Eiffel Tower Stadium
  • Boxing: 27 July to 10 August, North Paris Arena & Roland-Garros Stadium
  • Canoe slalom: 27 July to 5 August, Vaires-sur-Marne Nautical Stadium - White water
  • Canoe sprint: 6-10 August, Vaires-sur-Marne Nautical Stadium - Flat water
  • Cycling track: 5-11 August, National Velodrome
  • Diving: 27 July to 10 August, Aquatics Centre
  • Fencing: 27 July to 4 August, Grand Palais
  • Marathon swimming: 8-9 August, Pont Alexandre III
  • Modern pentathlon: 8-11 August, North Paris Arena (ranking round), Chateau de Versailles
  • Rowing: 27 July to 3 August, Vaires-sur-Marne Nautical Stadium - Flat water
  • Sailing: 28 July to 8 August, Marseille Marina
  • Shooting: 27 July to 5 August, Chateauroux Shooting Centre
  • Swimming: 27 July to 4 August, Paris La Defense Arena
  • Triathlon: 30 July to 5 August, Pont Alexandre III
  • Weightlifting: 7-11 August, South Paris Arena
  • Wrestling: 5-11 August, Champ-de-Mars Arena
  • Closing ceremony: 11 August, Stade de France

Actually that makes me realize just how much of it actually interests me. As a showcase for sports that don’t usually get much attention the Olympics is great.

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

What's everyone's opinion on breakdancing being one of the new events then? Personally I think its a dumb addition that shouldn't be there.

Feels like a weird one for me, I don’t particularly consider any form of dance to be something I’d expect to see nor be interested in at the Olympics. I’m not sure I could tell good vs. bad if I was watching it which basically takes away any reason to watch. I do understand trying to bring in younger more diverse sports but I’m not sure this is the right one. Also, I believe they’ve already dropped it from the next Olympics so seems like a bit of a waste if they want to make something of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

What's everyone's opinion on breakdancing being one of the new events then? Personally I think its a dumb addition that shouldn't be there.

But Breaking is kinda awesome! It's not the stupidest sport at the Olympics. That would be Golf.

The Olympics have plenty of "performance arts" sports already, between events such as artistic gymnastics, dressage, and synchronized/artistic swimming, I imagine breakdancing would count as just another one of those where they're judged by a panel of experts. In that sense, it's not a particularly odd choice.

The real issue is that breakdancing still feels like counter-culture art, not a prestiged establishment. The Olympics is all about prestige, so it just doesn't feel like a good fit at all.