Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

UK General Election 2024

Planned to go and vote early this morning before work, but spent most of last night in A&E and the rest of today in the hospital. Managed to get out in between hospital visits and do my civic duty though. 

Where I live it's insane the amount of Labour signs, banners and flags. I've seen a handful of Green posters and that's it. For a constituency that should be a close race between Tory and Labour.

I've actually only seen a few Labour posters up in what is a safe Labour seat and none for anyone else. 

Although there is a local independent that looks like they may unseat them. 

Went to vote at 7 and they were still in a flap getting papers sorted. Ended up being third in my ward. 

I didn't register in time. I thought I could vote in the embassy, like I have done once in the past, but apparently not these days... I applied on the gov.uk site and thought I was done in early June, but then they asked for a scan of my signature, which turned out to be a whole hassle and a ton of waiting for snail mail. Then I was away for a couple of weeks in mid-June so wouldn't have managed to do everything in time anyway. My last registration was Bolton North East, and I haven't lived there for 8 years, and didn't vote in 2019. Oh well. ::shrug:.

It was strong Labour seat for around 20 years, but swung back to the Tories in 2019. Having looked at recent by-election results over the past ~2 years, it seems the Cons are losing 60-90% of their vote from 2019, so it will be very interesting to see how me ol' constituency goes this time and whether the threat of ZERO SEATS is actually the real deal.

My area has always been Labour, which is usually the case for most places in the North East. I imagine the areas that surprisingly flipped to blue in the last election will flip back to red. 

Like Bob's area, there have been a crazy amount of Labour banners where I live, and a fair few Reform campaigners hanging around various places as well. Not a sniff of Conservative or Lib Dem support to be seen anywhere.

I never got my polling card so I went to the polling station nearby anyway, to be told that that particular polling station has not been assigned for my street. which is annoying considering its all of three minutes walking distance from my road:

Ya8Z2oK.png

It’s my fault for not checking before hand, but it seemed logical the place two streets away would be my polling station, not the one ten minutes away 

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

I never got my polling card so I went to the polling station nearby anyway, to be told that that particular polling station has not been assigned for my street. which is annoying considering its all of three minutes walking distance from my road:

Ya8Z2oK.png

It’s my fault for not checking before hand, but it seemed logical the place two streets away would be my polling station, not the one ten minutes away 

This just happened to my mate. I went with him to what was the nearest polling station to where he lives (literally around the corner from where he lives). He was told he had to go to a different one that was a 10 min walk away. Baffling. He nearly didnt bother. No wonder people don't vote. :D

I kind of had the opposite. My polling station covers two wards so everyone was confused where they had to go when inside. 

The street that is perpendicular to mine with the same name and "North" added to the end was different from my ward. Logic eh. 

Posted (edited)

Jacob Rees-Mogg lost his seat! The Haunted Pencil is gone! I never would've dreamed it!

And that means Labour officially has a majority! Now to see how big it'll be.

Edited by Glen-i

Posted (edited)

Thankfully, Reform are not performing as well as the initial exit poll indicated.
Of course, 4 Reform members is 4 too many...

Other notable cabinet members losing their seat include include Grant Shapps, Gillian Keegan, Johnny Mercer, and Lucy Frazer.
There's more I'm forgetting, but it's a new record for cabinet ministers losing seats. (10 currently)

Just waiting to see if Liz Truss will join them before heading to bed.

EDIT:

G7mvZxO.jpeg

the-simpsons-stop.gif

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Thankfully, Reform are not performing as well as the initial exit poll indicated.

A single seat and taking away Tory votes was all Farage wanted, anything else was a bonus. In that sense it's been a victory for him and his party.

Posted (edited)

Absolutely fabulous night! Tories completely BTFO with what appears to be the largest single election swing in British political history, Reform’s hot air going up in smoke (in fact, they went on to help Labour by splitting the votes that would otherwise have gone to the Tories) and the LDs beating their previous best seat record.

An absolute Tory bloodbath of biblical proportions.  You love to see it :D 

Just a shame that IDS, Hunt and Sunak survived… The last one is even more baffling considering that he’ll almost certainly be resigning in a matter of hours anyway!

Edited by Dcubed

Posted (edited)

Liz Truss missing in action in her seat. Promising.

EDIT: Nope! There she is! She lost by around 600 votes! We have a Portillo moment, people!
And with that fantastic note, I'm off to bed!

Not even a speech from her? Not surprised.

Edited by Glen-i

Not a single Tory or Reform seat in Wales. Good to see. 

The leader of the Welsh Tories was probably one of the big reasons for that. He was a great Labour spokesperson.

• Haha 2

My constituency got a large Labour majority. Happy for my MP because he seems like a genuinely nice guy who wants to help people. 

Scary that Reform got more than 3 million votes, but then I guess a lot of those are just displaced Tory voters.

Crazy that Lib Dems only got 2.5 million and got 50+ more seats than Reform.

I do hate the fact that I can't use the co-pilot ai to ask a political question, even just a factual one. All I was asking was when was the last time the UK got to elect their prime minister and how many had we had since.