Helmsly

Nintendo Switch - Year in Review 2023

uc?export=view&id=127asfCe-lAh91aHUgtsBW

uc?export=view&id=12MEkVBYefGEfP2g3N1bBV

uc?export=view&id=1JChcga12kk28u_pXW8-zD

First game this year: N64. Great start!
Games played: 54
Total time: 774 hours
Most played: Splatoon 3 : 133 hours. P3P : 85 hours. N64 : 72 hours (and counting).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

FLuggif.png

First game this year: Tetris 99
Games played: 55
Total time: 1,476 hours
Most played: Fortnite: 962 hours. Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed : 136 hours. Zelda Tears of a Kingdom : 82 hours

It is crazy to me that a year ago I had not played Fortnite outside of trying it out a few times back when it first came out on the Switch. Then randomly, on Boxing day last year, i felt like playing it. I had a weird nostalgia for a game I'd played maybe three times, 4 years ago. ::shrug:

It was good timing too as Epic had recently added a lot of content as well as No Build mode, which was perfect for someone like me that found that aspect a little daunting to get used to.

Before I knew it, I'd played a few hours and was enjoying it so I mentioned it to a friend. He wanted to give it a try too so he got online and by chance a friend of his mentioned he started playing as well. We played more games and won a few times and pretty quickly we were having a blast with it. We were so surprised to find out what this game is actually like compared to the assumptions we'd made about it. Pretty quickly we were saying to each other how it was the most fun we'd had in an online video game for a very long time, playing for a couple of hours a day. We could not believe it.

I'll never convince people that have never played Fortnite and assume its bad, to give it a go, but I genuinely think it's fantastic. The way they update the map and keep the game fresh is one of the best things I've seen in any online game.  Each new Chapter they roll out every 3/4 months basically makes the game feel like you are now playing  its sequel. It's pure fun

85WEYAB.png

Also I want to make a noticeable mention to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge. I played that game a lot this year thanks to the Dimension Shellshock DLC that came out midway though the year and had some fun games on there with @Glen-i and @BowserBasher

F5h6DnpakAAJcgt?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

h47OwyR.jpgsicvVZR.jpg
18oXtGd.jpg

Pretty much what I thought there. Disney Dreamlight Valley was my first game of the year and featured in two months for most played. 
26 games for a total of 954 hours. Bummer. Need to hit 1,000. 
Tears of the Kingdom had 281 hours, Animal Crossing still up there with 162, and Smash with 103. I feel AC may drop off next year, I’m still playing for 10 or so minutes each day but apart from a few models and HHP there’s just not much else for me to do now. 
Seeing Party games third on the gaming trends can only be because of Mario Party Nights. I’m assuming it knows what N64 games we are playing. If not then I don’t know what it could have been. Maybe Turtles, which did get a bit of play with others from here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

It is crazy to me that a year ago I had not played Fortnite outside of trying it out a few times back when it first came out on the Switch. Then randomly, on Boxing day last year, i felt like playing it. I had a weird nostalgia for a game I'd played maybe three times, 4 years ago. ::shrug:

It was good timing too as Epic had recently added a lot of content as well as No Build mode, which was perfect for someone like me that found that aspect a little daunting to get used to.

Before I knew it, I'd played a few hours and was enjoying it so I mentioned it to a friend. He wanted to give it a try too so he got online and by chance a friend of his mentioned he started playing as well. We played more games and won a few times and pretty quickly we were having a blast with it. We were so surprised to find out what this game is actually like compared to the assumptions we'd made about it. Pretty quickly we were saying to each other how it was the most fun we'd had in an online video game for a very long time, playing for a couple of hours a day. We could not believe it.

I'll never convince people that have never played Fortnite and assume its bad, to give it a go, but I genuinely think it's fantastic. The way they update the map and keep the game fresh is one of the best things I've seen in any online game.  Each new Chapter they roll out every 3/4 months basically makes the game feel like you are now playing  its sequel. It's pure fun

🎶 there's loot in the mountain🎶

It's actually quite good once you give it a go, isn't it? It was one of the first Switch games I got since it's free so I look on it pretty fondly and with no shame—I'd a top time exploring the snowy island. No Build mode is a great addition because my fingers and thumbs couldn't cobble together any kind of tower when the pressures on. I tried the recently added racing mode and it's not too bad either. Dying to try the others but don't want to get lost in the Lego mode forever.

32 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Seeing Party games third on the gaming trends can only be because of Mario Party Nights. 

I'm now thinking about Mario Party Nights into Dreams.

The party % could come from the Search Party levels in Mario Wonder. LOL.

Most importantly, where's the 4% RPG component come from???

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised I spent longer on the Switch than I did on the PS4 this year. It was mostly in Jan and Feb so that's probably why I don't remember it.374e6dbc39ac47f55f087aba9de2c8af.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

GBTG-xqXAAAgtbb?format=jpg&name=small GBTGjzMXIAAUNDw?format=jpg&name=small

GBTGjwuXMAAQxQo?format=jpg&name=small GBTGjwbXQAEi4fi?format=jpg&name=small

GBTGo3kWcAAtfWm?format=jpg&name=small GBTGjwZXoAAqMPh?format=jpg&name=small

Spoiler

GBTGo2TXMAAcNzl?format=jpg&name=small GBTGo1FXwAA4Uhm?format=jpg&name=small

GBTGo0qWIAAVEXi?format=jpg&name=small GBTG2HfW8AA_S7C?format=jpg&name=small

GBTG2FKWQAAW9p3?format=jpg&name=small GBTG2C5WwAA0bRS?format=jpg&name=small

GBTG2A_WsAAU0Z6?format=jpg&name=small GBTG-voXwAAHUEA?format=jpg&name=small

GBTG-tiWwAABLz0?format=jpg&name=small GBTG-reWYAEeNEn?format=jpg&name=small

No idea why there isn't anything for September showing up. Pretty sure that's when I played Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime Remastered so I imagine one of those would have been my most played for that month. Also, the games played number is massively inflated due to the amount of games I download, load up and then delete just for the platinum coins. Same thing with my PlayStation year review as I do the same for the PS Stars challenges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Most importantly, where's the 4% RPG component come from???

Oh wow. I didn’t even notice that. I have no idea as I’m not a big RPG fan so unless a game has elements of it and that got included I haven’t got a Scooby. 

13 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Seeing Party games third on the gaming trends can only be because of Mario Party Nights. I’m assuming it knows what N64 games we are playing.

Actually, yes. If someone's playing on one of the NSO apps and you look at their profile screen in the friends section, it'll tell you precisely what game they're playing.

Anyway, don't worry, I'll be posting my stuff soon to make you all feel better about how much time you waste on games.

EDIT: On a similar note, did you play something like Paper Mario? That might explain the RPG oddity.

@Hero-of-Time, you didn't post what game you selected as your favourite!? Booooo!

Edited by Glen-i

30 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@Hero-of-Time, you didn't post what game you selected as your favourite!? Booooo!

The year isn't over yet. I've still got games to play. :p 

Where's your update? I'm looking forward to seeing what impressive amount of hours you've put in this year.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The year isn't over yet. I've still got games to play. :p 

Where's your update? I'm looking forward to seeing what impressive amount of hours you've put in this year.

Waiting until I get on to a Desktop before I do so.

My extremities cannot be contained on a mere mobile device!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

EDIT: On a similar note, did you play something like Paper Mario? That might explain the RPG oddity.

I am thinking it may be this. Oh, I did play some Mario & Luigi on the GBA app. It’ll be that most probably. 

zRLETQF.pngTCxua8J.png3kEL5Kp.pngL0Rzngb.pngsKuhOwK.png81zg4YH.pngHn0tqxZ.jpg

Note that this isn't me playing Animal Crossing.  Someone else is using my account (I haven't played it at all this year).  The rest is mine though.

Can't say that I knew that "Character Driven" was a game genre, but there ya go!

That's because his favourite game this year wasn't a Switch game ;)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That's because his favourite game this year wasn't a Switch game ;)

I don't think a Switch game has ever won my GOTY.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I don't think a Switch game has ever won my GOTY.

Not even a multiplatform one?

Anyway, not important!

entrance-pose.gif

Time for your yearly dose of "He plays way too much!"

GQyS45j.png

And none of them are Tears of the Kingdom!

HvRJGSP.png

Me chasing 100% in Fire Emblem: Engage really starting to show here...

PHOgZM8.png

Nothing strange in the stats, but they've used the wrong Mii three years in a row now! I changed my hair from that over a year ago!

mOThpaI.png

Spoiler

Jz69FXl.png

Might need to zoom in for that one...

zjGTlHQ.png

Between this and Theatrhythm, Square really smacked it out of the park this year!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Not even a multiplatform one?

Had a quick look on here from past threads and this is what I've come up with.

2017 - Horizon: Zero Dawn 
2018 - Monster Hunter World
2019 - Resident Evil 2 & Kingdom Hearts III
2020 - Final Fantasy VII Remake
2021 - Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon
2022 - Elden Ring
2023 -????????

So, yeah, no Switch games have cracked the top spot yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Technically, Kingdom Hearts III is there. But that's an insult to anyone who actually wanted Kingdom Hearts on Switch.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Technically, Kingdom Hearts III is there. But that's an insult to anyone who actually wanted Kingdom Hearts on Switch.

Still baffles me the 1.5 + 2.5 collection weren't ported over properly. Money left on the table right there.

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

2022 - Elden Ring
2023 -????????

Probably a good idea for a thread there. Interesting to see them all listed.

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

2022 - Elden Ring
2023 -????????

Any year now it'll be something I've played too... any year...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Any year now it'll be something I've played too... any year...

I imagine lots of these will get Switch 2 ports. You'll be in for a treat if that does happen.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I imagine lots of these will get Switch 2 ports. You'll be in for a treat if that does happen.

NEO TWEWY should've got the nod whatever year that was. Even if you played it later, it should be retroactively slotted in. :p 

46 minutes ago, Cube said:

A massive amount of use for my Switch this year

It's all relative. Can't blame you for not wanting more Switch time if that's what you played. No Star Trek Prodigy? 

Sign in to follow this