N-Europe

New Crazy Taxi (date and platforms: TBC)

Julius

I bet that this is an online multiplayer game... given that one clip shows the player playing as the coppers chasing down a taxi, and multiple taxis seem to be in play...

Could be decent, but I have the feeling that this is going to be the GAAS game that SEGA were apparently working on.  So hard pass if that's the case :(.

Shame.  I love Crazy Taxi, but not like this...

Edited by Dcubed

On 08/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, Dcubed said:

I bet that this is an online multiplayer game... given that one clip shows the player playing as the coppers chasing down a taxi, and multiple taxis seem to be in play...

Could be decent, but I have the feeling that this is going to be the GAAS game that SEGA were apparently working on.  So hard pass if that's the case :(.

Shame.  I love Crazy Taxi, but not like this...

It's amazing how many emotions you've gone through based on 10 seconds of footage :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The upcoming return of Crazy Taxi will be a "AAA" game, Sega has said.

It sounds like Sapporo Studio is only contributing to the game, however, as the company isn't currently developing any project independently

"The studio has an R&D department that handles designing and programming games and a QA department in charge of quality control," Sega Sapporo studio boss Takaya Segawa said. "Recruitment in R&D is progressing as expected, but for QA we received more applications than anticipated, so a second branch of Sapporo Studio opened in April 2023."

Eurogamer Link

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Leave me alone, not asking a lot... Just don't wanna be GAAS... That's all I want... That's all I want...

Didn't you read the headline? 

It's going to be a GAAAS, nothing to worry about :p

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

The game will be open-world multiplayer, per one of the latest uploads on the SEGA YouTube channel, which also showed some new snippets of the game.

Quoted text from Insider Gaming

In a recent video published by Sega, the team working on the new Crazy Taxi game spoke about pivoting from a core single-player experience to an online multiplayer game built around a vast open-world environment. In the seven-minute breakdown, we're treated to glimpses of the developing title, which showcased several game modes, vehicles, and some energetic and punchy visuals.

[...]

It was explained by the team that there have been some difficulties in pivoting from a single-player experience to a live-service multiplayer model, but they're making great leaps in the development process as we speak.

::shrug:

On 2/19/2024 at 2:16 PM, Dcubed said:

Leave me alone, not asking a lot... Just don't wanna be GAAS... That's all I want... That's all I want...

Welp

But it's aaaalright now,
in fact it's a GAAS.
But it's aaaalright,
I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash,
it's a GAAS, GAAS, GAAS.

• Haha 4

It's unpopular opinion time! :hehe:

Yeah... I'm actually not hating the idea of an open-world/multiplayer Crazy Taxi. :idea:
Reckon it has the potential to work really well as a competitive game, even just stuff like the possibility of being able to nick other players passengers would be pretty amusing to me. :grin:
The way I'm imagining it is unlikely to be the way it'll end up :heh: but I'll remain hopeful until seeing exactly what the finished product is like.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Yeah... I'm actually not hating the idea of an open-world/multiplayer Crazy Taxi. :idea:
Reckon it has the potential to work really well as a competitive game, even just stuff like the possibility of being able to nick other players passengers would be pretty amusing to me. :grin:
The way I'm imagining it is unlikely to be the way it'll end up :heh: but I'll remain hopeful until seeing exactly what the finished product is like.

The idea isn't one I'm necessarily opposed to, but it depends how heavily weighted it is towards that. If the single player is a mere afterthought I'd be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

I feel the same, I think an online Crazy Taxi game where I am up against several other players all on the same map sounds great. It certainly has the potential to be something decent.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ashley said:

The idea isn't one I'm necessarily opposed to, but it depends how heavily weighted it is towards that. If the single player is a mere afterthought I'd be disappointed. 

Well, the video that Julius posted does seem to suggest it'll be completely focused on multiplayer. However, the same video is also a recruitment drive :heh: so there's no doubt still a lot of development time ahead and the possibility for stuff to change or get added. If I were to hazard a guess though, I reckon it's going to be multiplayer only. :blank:

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

I feel the same, I think an online Crazy Taxi game where I am up against several other players all on the same map sounds great. It certainly has the potential to be something decent.

Yeah, given how chaotic Crazy Taxi already is as a single player experience, the addition of more players should be absolutely glorious! :D
I suppose how unpredictable and silly it ends up being will depend on just how many players they can ultimately get into a single game, but if they're also implementing a large open-world map then it must be a fair few. :)

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 7:22 PM, RedShell said:

That's the problem, you know it's gonna be riddled with microtransactions, and with it being online only, it's completely useless for me.

• 1 month later...