NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online: Game Boy / Game Boy Color

On 13/02/2023 at 2:57 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

Except for the giant fuck you they did with the Goddesses getting a house in Hyrule Town.

They changed the dialogue in the US release to make it clearer you couldn’t build a third house. The EU version implied you could.

I wondered why they gave us both the EU and US releases when they run the same, but I guess it’s useful for differences in the 2 versions (e.g. Fire Emblem where the EU version had some content cut).

1 hour ago, Ike said:

They changed the dialogue in the US release to make it clearer you couldn’t build a third house. The EU version implied you could.

I wondered why they gave us both the EU and US releases when they run the same, but I guess it’s useful for differences in the 2 versions (e.g. Fire Emblem where the EU version had some content cut).

They gave us both because of the additional FIGS language support in the EU version; for non-English speaking countries.

• Thanks 1

Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Burger time Deluxe have been added to the Game Boy catalogue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that neither game was shown in the announcement video's roadmap...

Guess that means that GB/GBC won't be following in order like what GBA/N64 are doing.

Xevious is also notable because Namco currently sell it seperately as part of their NamcoT Collection releases on Switch/PS4/Xbone/PC... Might that mean that we may be getting more stuff from Namco in the future now? (Though I'd be a LOT more interested in Konami's and S-E's classic output if the NSO licensing money could stretch for that...).

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Interesting that neither game was shown in the announcement video's roadmap...

Guess that means that GB/GBC won't be following in order like what GBA/N64 are doing.

I don't even remember a GB roadmap... I just remember the GBA one.

Anyway, told you it wouldn't just be one game (Metroid Fusion). As if 5 consoles wouldn't give them room to drop more then that.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I don't even remember a GB roadmap... I just remember the GBA one.

lCm9gEA.png

• Haha 1

Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble and Blaster Master: Enemy Below have both been added to the GB NSO Library:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

nintendoswitchonlinejune2023banner.620x0.webp

New Nintendo titles added to Nintendo Switch Online June 2023

Now up on the main page.

- - - - -

This marks the first worldwide release for Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble as it was never released in European gaming territories before. :peace:

The tilt mechanism, was contained in a bespoke GBC cart, but now the same gameplay can be replicated on the Switch easily.

For many, this will be the first time that they've had a chance to play this relatively obscure Kirby title. :smile:

• Thanks 1

Kirby’s Tilt N’ Tumble is a big deal.  First ever European release and first re-release, period.

Great to see.  Also means that we should eventually get the almighty Wario Ware Twisted eventually on GBA NSO :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, that's great news! I've never played Tilt N Tumble, despite @Dcubed having access to it.

Perfect opportunity, and a good sign for WarioWare Twisted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve only played the first level so far and it shows just how far the motion control technology has come.  I’m getting to grips with it though, and it’s played well so far. I can imagine being completely floored by the technology at the time this came out!  

Zelda Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are headed to NSO next 

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 2

si_3dsvc_thelegendofzeldaoracleofseasons_image1600w.620x0.webp

The Legend of Zelda Oracle Duology Available Now Via Nintendo Switch Online

Now up on the main page.

Thanks to @Josh64 for the well-written and researched write-up and for posting the news so quickly. :peace:

- - - - -

I'm glad to see both of these titles finally available on NSO, I can still remember buying both games and the dual game guide from EB/Game all those years ago.

They are great games, and excellent entries in the series, definitely different from LInk's Awakening, but well worth playing. :smile:

• Like 3

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Oracle of Season's items are best suited for beating both games linked, so I recommend playing Ages first.

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna flip reverse it if I do play these, as I always played Ages first. Last time wasn't too long ago on the eShop versions, and I couldn't understand if it linked correctly, because apparently there was meant to be a Zora in the Hero's Cave, which was meant to be bigger, but it was the normal puzzle size and no Zora. I get the feeling I probably fucked up somewhere.

The weird thing is, for some random reason I'm still feeling a pull to redo Link's Awakening, and not the Switch version. I think looking at sheet music for it is bring the urge.

Update: I tried playing the beginning of the DX version and the slow-ish text started to put me off. So fired up the Switch version, one of the main reasons was to go through Angler's Tunnel sober. As I last did it after a night out on muscle memory alone. I only remember beating the Angler Fish. But I managed it this time and finished it over the weekend. I get the feeling that part of the hit detection on some wasn't all that great. Main example was against the Armos Knight on the way to the Face Shrine, it was giving you arrows in the room before, so obviously they're needed, and not being able to hit from the front = arrows from behind. Didn't work so searched for the FAQ, and I was doing it right and I offloaded so many arrows, point blank straight up the anus and it bounced off. But going from a weird angle where you think the hit box wouldn't count = damage. 

Not Switch Online, but fuck it.

Pokémon TCG coming today. 

Still wish they'd release the sequel too. 

• Thanks 2

Online Pokemon TCG is real nice.

Wonder if Card Pop works... This is our first GBC game with IR Port support, so it'll be interesting to see what support (if any) the NSO emulator has for it...

Pokémon TCG coming today. 

Still wish they'd release the sequel too. 

Yeah, that would've been a real megaton that actually would've justified that 35 minute snorefest.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

CARD POP WORKS!!!!!!!

F3BIVy_bEAA5T7J?format=jpg&name=large

IR PORT SUPPORT IS IN!!!!!!!!! :bouncy:

Genuinely didn't expect them to support the feature.  That's a very nice surprise!  It means that, unlike the 3DS release, it's actually possible to achieve 100% completion this time around :D

So that means that so far, the only missing feature from the GB/GBC NSO is Game Boy Printer support (which you can simulate using screenshots anyway I suppose).

Not that the IR port was the most critical feature or anything, but it's really nice to have a complete experience this time around.  There's a fair few games that did support it on the GBC for sharing data and unlockable stuff...

Will look forward to playing some online TCG matches with you guys.  This game is awesome!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow, they actually chose the best Game Boy Pokémon game to put on NSO? Good on them!

I think we should have a TCG knockout tournament for this!

Of course, give people a chance to collect some cards first.

Would a month be enough time? Or maybe two?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Wow, they actually chose the best Game Boy Pokémon game to put on NSO? Good on them!

I think we should have a TCG knockout tournament for this!

Of course, give people a chance to collect some cards first.

Would a month be enough time? Or maybe two?

A month should be long enough.  You get cards pretty quickly, and really, you don't need 100% completion to have a good deck in this game.

Of course, I'd be up for some online friendly matches well before then! :D

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Genuinely didn't expect them to support the feature.  That's a very nice surprise!  It means that, unlike the 3DS release, it's actually possible to achieve 100% completion this time around :D

Aaaaaaaand this has singlehandedly convinced me to play this on NSO rather than on the 3DS, thanks! :D

Edited by Julius

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Aaaaaaaand this has singlehandedly convinced me to play this on NSO rather than on the 3DS, thanks! :D

You'll need to hop online and start card popping with people and hope you get the two cards exclusively from there.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to put a PSA out there. Because it's very easy to get into a situation where 100% completion gets really difficult.

There's an NPC in this game, who at some point, will ask for all your unused energy cards, if you refuse, he'll leave and you won't get the Promo Slowpoke. (You can totally cheese this with the rewind feature, rewind, make a deck with nothing but 60 energy cards, as long as you have at least 1 unused, you can still get the card).

Whenever you get a club medal, for the love of all that is holy, save your game immediately!

Your rival, Ronald, has an annoying habit of ambushing you for a Children's Card Game Duel, and if you lose to him, you miss out on a card.

As well as Ronald, make a habit of checking the Challenge Cup Venue after each club medal you get. Challenge Cups in progress will go away if you get another medal, and they have some promo cards too.

If you do miss any of these, you can still get them after the credits, but it's a long, slow, and random process. Just get them the first opportunity you get, trust me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sign in to follow this