NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

Everybody Votes Channel is my #1 Wii game so I'll be very disappointed if I can't vote for that

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, markderoos said:

So Wii Music and Wii Fit are also out then?

Nope, they’ll be allowed because they have mini games that have you chase high scores (even though that’s only a small side attraction in Wii Music).

The Wii Channels will not be eligible though (sorry @killthenet - don’t worry, you can still vote for it by proxy if you eventually vote for Splatoon ;) )

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Nope, they’ll be allowed because they have mini games that have you chase high scores (even though that’s only a small side attraction in Wii Music).

So, why does Animal Crossing count like a game then? I still think Electroplankton is as much a game like Animal Crossing is. 

13 hours ago, markderoos said:

So Wii Music and Wii Fit are also out then?

Those will be fine because there are some games buried in them.

EDIT: Woops, already answered.

Last day for nominations.

Edited by Glen-i

58 minutes ago, markderoos said:

So, why does Animal Crossing count like a game then? I still think Electroplankton is as much a game like Animal Crossing is. 

Because the main goal of that game is to pay off your mortgage. Stuff like filling up the museum requires some element of skill as well.

3 hours ago, markderoos said:

Because Animal crossing still has an overarching goal, in the form of the museum and your mortgage debt.  This makes it a game.

Electroplankton has no goal of any kind.  Therefore, it is a toy and not a game.

43 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Would Brain Training qualify as a game or an app?

Game.  Even though it's pitched a lifestyle product of sorts, it has strong player agency, a core gameplay loop, keeps high scores and has an overarching goal (Brain Age of 20).  It's absolutely a game in the disguise of a health product (it's also loads of fun! Especially the multiplayer mode in the second game! I still love Picture Quiz! :D )

Edited by Dcubed

48 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

How about The Sims? Does that game have a goal?

Now that's a legitimately difficult question. That game most certainly has a state of failure though. (Sims dying as well as other things)

I'm not a big expert on The Sims, but I'm pretty sure some certain entries do have small goals the player can aim for if they wish.

I couldn't for the life of me tell you which ones though, so I'm just allowing all of them. But that's certainly a series that is very close to the line.

• Thanks 1

Does a false note in an otherwise perfect symphony count as a failure? Because composing great pieces of music in Elektroplankton definitely felt like a goal I tried to achieve but didn’t always manage.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorer's of Sky

Pokémon Black/White

Elite beat agents

Zero escape 999

Dragon quest Monsters joker 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Nominations are now closed.

We've whittled it down to 19 games with 2 or more nominations. After the largest amount of different titles for a single console to date.

Spoiler
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Another Code: Two Memories
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Also known as "Zero Escape: 999")
  • Phantasy Star: ZERO
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  • Pokémon Black/White
  • Pokémon Black 2/White 2
  • Sonic Rush
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Boy, we sure liked our visual novels for the DS, didn't we?

• Voting must be done via Private Messages sent to me. This will help to prevent any possible tactical voting.
  • You must choose 3 games and order them from your favourite to least favourite.
  • It'd be great if you could explain why you chose a game in the PM. I can then use these in the article that will go up on the N-Europe front page.
  • I will abstain from these votes and act as a tiebreaker. If two games tie, I'll decide which game comes out on top.

If I'm right, some people will have less than 3 of their nominations on this list, so it'll be interesting to see where they place their votes.

Voting closes on the 6th of July.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, bob said:

Is a visual novel really a game though?

Oh definitely, you need to get to the end by making the correct choices, quite a few of them have puzzles as well.

5 hours ago, bob said:

Is a visual novel really a game though?

Not all of them are... All of the ones on DS happen to qualify though, since they all just so happen to incorporate meaningful choices and puzzle solving mechanics.  Plus there's an end goal.

Edited by Dcubed

Oof. First time one of my Top 3 didn't make it :hmm: I was gonna put Soul Bubbles in 2nd.

The fight for my 3rd spot will be fierce...

content-4-35855-netop10gamecubearticlebanner.jpg

Here is the final article for our Top Ten GameCube Games. :D

Thanks to @RedShell for the exceptional banner/side graphics. :cool:

and  @Glen-i plus @Dcubed once again for keeping this train rolling, there are some landmark titles in there which I'm glad to see that they got some great write-ups. :peace:

Also thanks to the N-E community for contributing, the GC is a console where we've all got so much to say about it, which is wonderful. :)

(my contribution was making the game banners in the article and getting it uploaded) :smile:

I went back to pixel editing for the GameCube logo this time, I think it turned out better than I thought it would... which is nice.

(also, bonus points for anyone who can tell where I sourced the majority of the images for the banners from) ;)

Enjoy! And here's to the next one. :grin:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, S.C.G said:

(my contribution was making the game banners in the article and getting it uploaded) :smile:

So, is this a bad time to mention you misspelled "Rogue" in the banner? :heh:

The rest of the article is great. The Gamecube was always going to have a solid list, even if Skies of Arcadia got snubbed. Those are some substantial impressions, too.

Also, I totally relate to @RedShell. The first time I entered that village in Resi 4, I burst out laughing from a random lady muttering "Mierda" with no provocation.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

So, is this a bad time to mention you misspelled "Rogue" in the banner? :heh:

... :blank:

No, no... it's perfect timing. :p

And there I was thinking to myself... "this time there won't be anything that needs correcting, I've made sure that nothing is out of place"

*sigh* well anyway... it's fixed now, and decided to put "II" instead of "2" so it's doubly correct now. ;)

I changed the background image slightly as well, then it refused to delete the old banner but I got there in the end.

It's better than it was anyway... gosh, "Rouge Squadron" makes it sound like a Sonic Adventure 2 spin-off. :laughing:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, markderoos said:

BUMP, where’s this thread’s activity gone to?

Well, we are in the shortlist stage, so the voting should be being done via PM's, that might explain some of the inactivity. ::shrug:

I should take this opportunity to remind everyone that they have until Saturday 6th of July to vote, but I don't know who has voted and who hasn't. :heh:

But @Glen-i knows... so if you haven't voted, don't make him get that "disappointed look" gif out again. ;)

• Thanks 4

19 hours ago, S.C.G said:

But @Glen-i knows... so if you haven't voted, don't make him get that "disappointed look" gif out again. ;)

I sure do, and I totally didn't forget to edit the thread title!

Anyway, here's everyone who nominated games but hasn't voted yet. You should get on that.

@RedShell, @Vileplume2000, @Dcubed, @nekunando and @killthenet

• Thanks 2

Voting is now closed

Wii

41XM4A0DD6L._SX385_.jpg

Nintendo's best selling home console to date was released in 2006 to astonishing success. The Wii Remote, which featured motion controls, opened up gaming to an audience that typically weren't interested in such hobbies. Everyone wanted a Wii, even those people who claimed they didn't. No matter how divisive the controls might have been, you'd have to be absolutely barmy to think that the Wii didn't have an effect on gaming today. Completely demolishing the competition at the time, thanks in part to the weird, wacky, exciting new games it sported. But which ones do you like best? Then again, this list can never be truly definitive because Ubisoft won't stop bloody releasing Just Dance games on it every year!

As usual, here are some rules for nominations.

• Twilight Princess counts as a Gamecube title and cannot be nominated for the Wii.
  • All Virtual Console games are banned.
  • WiiWare games are eligible.
  • Applications are banned (Everybody Votes Channel, Weather Channel, etc.)
  • Retro compilations are banned (Metroid Prime Trilogy, House of the Dead 2 + 3 Return, etc.)
  • Remakes/ports are banned (All New Play control games, Bubble Bobble Neo, etc.)
  • Wii Fit Plus is deemed too similar to Wii Fit. Therefore, it will be treated as a rare non-Pokemon example of the Pokémon Clause.
  • Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth is eligible for nomination as it is dramatically different from the Game Boy Game.

Given the sheer amount of games for this console, I've likely overlooked something, so do ask if you're not sure.

Here is a list of all the Wii titles. And here's a list of WiiWare titles. Be careful not to pick a game that is banned from nomination.

Nominations close on the 13th of July.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis

I had like 4 games on my initial list before they got replaced by games I remembered going down the list of Wii games. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.

I've also edited the opening post with the Top 10 Gamecube Games article.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1