NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

I know I'm a day late, but bugger it I've had a drink and I want to write about some of my favourites.

The GBA was a magnificent little console btw, and its mid life upgrade with the clamshell design (can't remember the name) is possibly the finest console I've ever owned.

Fire Emblem GBA! Dont know if it is because it was my first FE, but to this day I think it's the best fire emblem. It's lean compared to later entries, has none of the current melodramatic shit, and still had the beautiful sprite work. They had another one on the console but it was terribly balanced.

Metroid Fusion - often derided, but it really works as a first metroid. Shout out to Samus X as well - shits all over dark Samus.

Some others:

Sapphire - Great game

Superstar saga - great game

Advance Wars - really great game. More depth then I appreciated at that age.

Harvest Moon - Time sink

And though I didn't play it until years later - Mother 3. Masterpiece that game, criminal it never got released over here.

• Like 2

content-4-35798-netop10gameboycolorarticlebanner.jpg

Here is the final article for our Top Ten Game Boy Color Games. :D

Thanks to @RedShell for the glorious banner/side graphics. :cool:

and  @Glen-i plus @Dcubed once again for organising this, the write-ups in each article are spot-on. :peace:

Also thanks to the N-E community for contributing as it's always nice to hear peoples stories from back in the day and varied opinions on all these classics. :)

(my contribution was making the game banners in the article and getting it uploaded) :smile:

I just hope that the top ten in-article game banners I made are still looking reasonable enough? ::shrug:

I've tried to keep it simple, just changing the button layouts and the colour scheme but I might incorporate an actual GBA logo for the next edition.

Enjoy! And here's to the next one. :grin:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Woah! Wasn't expecting Resident Evil Gaiden on this list! Nor was I expecting Stranded Kids to do so well (and Oracle of Seasons so poorly!)

Always appreciate a list that goes against the grain.  Good job guys! :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm actually surprised Oracle of Seasons was there at all. I figured most people would gravitate towards Ages and give room for more distinct games.

Regardless, I'm always glad to see a list with a couple of unexpected entries thrown into it. Stranded Kids doesn't appeal to me, but I'm glad to see it land where it did.

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

the write-ups in each article are spot-on. :peace:

Yeah, about that... In the Wario Land 3 entry, there's a paragraph I'm sure I wrote (the one that mentions Metroidvania and a bar of dynamite), but it's not bolded at all, so it looks like Glen-i or DCubed wrote it. A slip of the mind, I'm sure, but it's still a significant typo (of sorts).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Yeah, about that... In the Wario Land 3 entry, there's a paragraph I'm sure I wrote (the one that mentions Metroidvania and a bar of dynamite), but it's not bolded at all, so it looks like Glen-i or DCubed wrote it. A slip of the mind, I'm sure, but it's still a significant typo (of sorts).

Sorry about that, its fixed now, the quotation starts and ends at the right places. :)

(or it will appear fixed in a few minutes once it updates)

Damn, and I thought I'd gotten away with not editing the article after posting first time for once. ;)

(Edit - yep, it's definitely fixed now)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Right! Here's my 5 nominations!

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

Metroid Zero Mission

Metroid Fusion

Warioware Twisted

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Even though the last one is only half a game, I still have to put it on the list.  It's that good!

If we could count Golden Sun part 1 & 2 together as one game; it would be an easy pick for No1.  But split up? That makes things a lot harder...

• Thanks 1

You guys are lucky that I can't get the shortlist up until tomorrow. Been way too busy.

But yeah, tomorrow will be the shortlist. Thanks for your patience.

• Thanks 2

30 games nominated, 19 of which got 2 or more nominations and make up the following shortlist.

Forgive the formatting, this is being done from my phone. The titles may not be the exact official ones as well. But I'm sure you can recognise them.

Spoiler

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Fire Emblem

F-Zero Maximum Velocity

Golden Sun

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Kuru Kuru Kururin

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Zero Mission

Mother 3

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team

Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Wario Land 4

WarioWare Inc: Mega MicroGames

WarioWare Twisted

So once again, I want you to vote for three games and send them to me via Private Message.

Make sure you state which one is your favourite and so on. And feel free to give reasons for your choices.

Voting closes on the 8th of June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You know what? I forgot to remind people and it's been a shorter amount of time to vote, so I'm gonna delay the voting deadline by one day.

Voting closes on the 9th of June

Last chance for @RedShell, @Ike, @nekunando, @Hero-of-Time, @Gadwin, @Kaepora_Gaebora and @Vileplume2000 to get their votes in.

I'm also gonna mention @LazyBoy, seeing as he showed interest.

Remember to order your choices, otherwise, I'll assume the top listed game is number 1.

• Thanks 2

Ok, that's enough waiting.

Voting is now closed

Gamecube

Image result for gamecube

Releasing in 2002, everyone's favourite lunchbox marked Nintendo's jump to CD's. It's purple, it's cute, it's got a handle! What's not to love about the Gamecube? While it might be nowhere near Nintendo's most successful console, there's no denying that the Gamecube had some impressive software going for it. It also had the best controller ever. Don't bother arguing, I won't listen. But the controller isn't a game, so we have to nominate 5 other things about the Gamecube.

Right, time for those restrictions.

• Retro compilation titles are banned (Zelda: Collector's Edition, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, Sonic Mega Collection, etc.)
  • The Four Swords Clause applies to games such as Sonic Adventure DX, Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime.
  • Ports and Remakes are banned. (WarioWare Inc. Mega Party Games, etc.)
  • For obvious reasons, Resident Evil 1 and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes are eligible for nomination.
  • Game Boy Player is not eligible for nomination. Don't try and be clever.

Future Console Warning!

When we get to the Wii, you will not be able to nominate The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The game was designed as a Gamecube title first and foremost, so it will only be able to be nominated for this console.

Nominations close on the 15th of June

I've also updated the opening post with the GBC top ten article.

Here is a list of Gamecube games if you want to remind yourself of what this console had, but be careful to not choose a game that would break one of the above restrictions.

Edited by Glen-i
Forgot the deadline
  • Like 1

Right, my 5 picks.

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • Thanks 1

Tales of Symphonia

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Eternal Darkness

Games which did not make the cut - *REDACTED UPON COMMAND*

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I'll give the fifth winning position soon, just offering some bits for the masses.

OI!

I frown upon this! This is blatant influencing towards games that you won't include in your nominations in an attempt to get them extra nominations. Change it now!

Edited by Glen-i

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

OI!

I frown upon this! This is blatant influencing towards games that you won't include in your nominations in an attempt to get them extra nominations. Change it now!

Not rearry influencing, just reminding people they exist. Many thanks to whoever nominated Stranded Kids in the GBC list, I forgot I even had that.

Edited for you though, I'm playing Second Sight naow so may change

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

I'm so glad some my favourite games growing up just happened to be on GameCube as well as the XBox I actually played them on. So here's my list!

- The Sims Bustin' Out
- Crash Tag Team Racing
- The Urbz: Sims in the City
- Kirby Air Ride
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Not rearry influencing, just reminding people they exist. Many thanks to whoever nominated Stranded Kids in the GBC list, I forgot I even had that.

Edited for you though, I'm playing Second Sight naow so may change

Nope, remove that last bit.

You can always edit your list if you change your mind.

7 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

giphy.gif

Done

Thank you, I'm sorry I have to be so firm about it. But I can't have people trying to signal boost some games that they won't nominate themselves. I get that there's plenty of great games people have to cut out of their list, believe me, I've been there plenty of times already. But the 5 nominations rule is to narrow down choices to what people think is the absolute pinnacle of that console.

Do feel free to discuss other people's nominations though. 

I tell you what though, from now on, I'll provide a link to a list of Gamecube titles (and all future consoles once we get to them) so people have the opportunity to find some games that they may have overlooked.

Be careful with that though, because it does include games that are banned from this nomination.

Edited by Glen-i

Spider-Man 2
Smash Bros Melee
SSX Tricky
Super Monkey Ball
Timesplitters 2

I would've gone for Wario Ware, but didn't realise it was a remake/port.

• Thanks 2

• Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Metroid Prime
  • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  • F-Zero GX
  • Skies of Arcadia

Why only 5 games, Glen-i? Why? I weep.

• Thanks 2

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Resident Evil 4

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

This was a hard list to whittle down, and there’s plenty of others that could’ve made the top 5; but I feel that this list is quintessentially GameCube :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2