NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

Oof, the DS is a tricky one. It's probably the broadest range of games and genres we'll see in these lists.

• Elite Beat Agents
  • Soul Bubbles
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

(I may still edit this list further...)

@Glen-i, what's the status on the original Phoenix Wright trilogy? Originally GBA games, but they were only released here as DS games, and I think most people think of them that way.

Edited by Jonnas
Still undecided...
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Oof, the DS is a tricky one. It's probably the broadest range of games and genres we'll see in these lists.

• Elite Beat Agents
  • Soul Bubbles
  • Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
  • Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

(I may still edit this this list further...)

@Glen-i, what's the status on the original Phoenix Wright trilogy? Originally GBA games, but they were only released here as DS games, and I think most people think of them that way.

Yeah, that's a strange case. They're originally  GBA games, but those GBA versions were Japan exclusive. So for this console, I'm allowing them.

Because that's the first version that got released over here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh boy, this is going to be tricky. I think to date the DS has one of my largest ever gaming collections as I have had 21 different games for this thing over the years. That being said, 4 of them are remakes of games from previous generations although I would like to make a case against Super Mario 64 DS not being up for nomination because I think it's more of an enhanced remake than a straight up port. You start the game as Yoshi, you have to actually rescue Mario by travelling to a brand new level after 8 stars to rescure Mario and only even then after that can you take on Bowser and the game has an extra 30 stars to collect as well as some stars being changed to new style challenges in the remake, like, there are star challenges in the original game that aren't even in the remake.

I am going to hold off on my votes for now as I'm still not entirely sure which games are going in the top five apart from two or three of them.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Zero Escape Volume 1: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Pokemon Black/White

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

BTW, here is a list of DSiWare titles; since they are also eligable for nomination (Note that all of the Art Style games are eligable, despite some being remakes of games from the GBA Bit Generations series, such as Art Style: DigiDrive, because the DSiWare versions were the first time they were released outside of Japan).

23 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Oh boy, this is going to be tricky. I think to date the DS has one of my largest ever gaming collections as I have had 21 different games for this thing over the years. That being said, 4 of them are remakes of games from previous generations although I would like to make a case against Super Mario 64 DS not being up for nomination because I think it's more of an enhanced remake than a straight up port. You start the game as Yoshi, you have to actually rescue Mario by travelling to a brand new level after 8 stars to rescure Mario and only even then after that can you take on Bowser and the game has an extra 30 stars to collect as well as some stars being changed to new style challenges in the remake, like, there are star challenges in the original game that aren't even in the remake.

I am going to hold off on my votes for now as I'm still not entirely sure which games are going in the top five apart from two or three of them.

We did debate SM64DS; but ultimately decided that it wasn't different enough.  It's just not on the same tier as something like Metroid Zero Mission, or Resident Evil Remake; which are basically entierly different games that share almost nothing in common with their original counterparts, outside of an overarching setting and key story beats.  Unlike those examples, SM64DS is ultimately, the same game as the N64 original with extra content and some new mechanics; despite the initial flow of the game being changed.

Same deal with Kirby Superstar Ultra (as much as I love that game) and Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dang, if I'd known that Super Mario 64 DS wasn't going to be up for nomination then I would have voted for the original in the N64 category. Nobody said at the time that it wasn't going to be so I held off voting for it there so that I could vote for the version I played. Put so many hours into that game on DS.

Oh well, the original game still was in the N64 top 10 and still a classic. Not being able to vote for it is a bummer but there are still plenty of quality games on DS.

Since we have this clarification now I will go ahead and cast my votes:

Pokemon White

Pokemon White 2

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Mario Kart DS

Final Fantasy IV

As it turns out there wasn't enough room for all the games I wanted to nominate on DS because I really wanted to include Bowser's Inside Story and it was a toss up between that and FFIV. They were also competing with Mario Kart DS and when I think of it MKDS is a landmark DS title that deserves to be in there. For the first online Mario Kart it is surprisingly one of the best single player experiences in the entire series!

• Thanks 2

Nintendo DS games eh? Well, with such a large library you'd think that this would lead to some difficult choices but despite this I've decided that there's no ideal way to pick five titles so...

Here are my picks...

• Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  • Phantasy Star Zero
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  • Sonic Rush

And even then I ended up editing one of my selections before posting because I remembered that Phantasy Star Zero existed on the DS, so that's one of my choices. :D

Of course, there are plenty of other titles I could have nominated, afterall it was during the DS era that I started reviewing games for N-Europe way back in 2005... :blank:

...and now I feel old(er) than the last time I felt old :p ah well, it's fine. ::shrug:

Look out for the N-E Top Ten GameCube Games coming soon to the main site. :peace:

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Jonnas said:

• Soul Bubbles

Jonnas proving that he's a person of impeccable taste. 

@RedShell I'm surprised to see that Tingle didn't make your top 5. :( 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@RedShell I'm surprised to see that Tingle didn't make your top 5. :( 

It was at one point, but in the end I had to leave it out. :hmm: 

• Sad 2

Elite Beat Agents

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Trauma Center: Under the Knife

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sonic Rush

Mario Kart

Phantasy Star Zero

Nanostray

Trauma Centre: Under The Knife

Edited by Gadwin
Wrong game added to my top 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, RedShell said:

It was at one point, but in the end I had to leave it out. :hmm: 

That's the problem with only having 5 top games; there are plenty that you want to include, but you just simply can't.

I know that there's loads more I could've included, but I have to be brutal.  I'm really upset that I couldn't include any of the Art Style games (honestly, I've probably played PicoPict more than any other DS game!), but thems the breaks.  We have to cut it off somewhere!

It looks like we're gonna end up with a really nicely varied list in the end though (even moreso than before!), so I'm happy with how it's turning out so far :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, markderoos said:

- Legendary Starfy

Good man! This is such a gem of a game and it's such a shame that more of the series didn't make it over to the West. :( 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Zero Escape Volume 1: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors

• Haha 2

Animal Crossing: Wild World

Another Code: Two Memories

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Mario Kart DS

Edited by killthenet
  • Like 2

I like this category!  I’ve struggled a little to whittle it down to 5 as there are so many I could easily nominate!  Here goes: 

• Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations
  • Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
  • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • The World Ends with You
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, killthenet said:

Animal Crossing: Wild World

Another Code: Two Memories

Electroplankton (it's 100% a game @Glen-i)

Mario Kart DS

Right, I'd love you to explain the goal of Electroplankton.

Go on, have a crack at it.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Right, I'd love you to explain the goal of Electroplankton.

Go on, have a crack at it.

To chill out, man. :hehe: This is obviously why you didn’t “get” BotW either. :heh: 

Seriously though, it definitely shouldn’t be classed as an application, you can’t even save your creations! 

No, I agreed with @Glen-i on this one.  It’s music creation software; there is literally no “game” here.  Even though you have to save your creations with external solutions, it’s still not a game.

It’s the same kind of application as the KORG releases on 3DS/DSi (and they’re not eligible either, for the same reason - funnily enough, they too lacked a formal export music option!).

If we include Electroplankton, then we also have to include Flipnote Studio, Cooking Guide, Art Academy, Pictochat and other similar “productivity” applications; and that’s just silly.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

If we include Electroplankton, then we also have to include Flipnote Studio, Cooking Guide, Art Academy, Pictochat and other similar “productivity” applications; and that’s just silly.

You don’t have to include any of those if you include Electroplankton, and the chances of someone wanting to nominate any of the other titles you mentioned are microscopic. :grin: 

15 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It’s the same kind of application as the KORG releases on 3DS/DSi (and they’re not eligible either, for the same reason - funnily enough, they too lacked a formal export music option!).

Not really, you can save your work to the cart in KORG which definitely makes it an application. But even if saving was possible in Electroplankton I’d still have a hard time seeing it as an application, it’s just too abstract.

Interesting debate anyway.

I like to view Electroplankton as an experience. A piece of art, even! Still wouldn't have made my top 5 though.

• Like 1

Nah.  There’s no sort of overarching goal at all.  Even Animal Crossing has your debt to be paid off, or the museum collections to complete.

Electroplakton has literally nothing.  All it let’s you do is make music.  It’s not “productivity” software in the traditional sense (like KORG), since it’s pitched as an art piece of sorts, but it lacks any sort of overarching goal whatsoever.  It’s a toy, not a game.

That’s not a bad thing at all, I loved my time with Electroplankton; but it absolutely fits into the same category as KORG or Flipnote Studio (which would absolutely have gotten into my top 5 without question if it was eligible) but they aren’t games.  As such, they don’t belong on a list of the top 10 games on the Nintendo DS.

Even Mario Paint was allowed (after some debate), because of its inclusion of Flyswatter (which absolutely counts as a game); but Electroplankton has no such equivalent.  Likewise, Wario Ware DIY was allowed because it had both built-in games, the Assembly Dojo (a puzzle game in disguise) and the ability to make playable games, but there is literally no sort of goal in Electroplankton; so there’s no way to define it as a game.  As such, it doesn’t make sense to include it in this list.

It says a lot about Nintendo’s shifting philosophy and the uniqueness of this generation that we actually need to have this exclusion now! It was a very exciting time for Nintendo fans and the industry as a whole; probably my favourite generation as a whole for that reason! :D 

Edit: BTW, fun fact.  Flipnote Studio (and subsequently Art Academy) is where @Glen-i got started as an artist! Flipnote Studio is also where his infamous username comes from ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Edit: BTW, fun fact.  Flipnote Studio (and subsequently Art Academy) is where @Glen-i got started as an artist! Flipnote Studio is also where his infamous username comes from ;) 

Hey, you can't just make up facts like that! There's no way that's true. I don't even think there is such an application. :confused:

• Haha 1

The 'goal' of Electroplankton is to have fun and make ambient noise but I relent, I will edit my post and nominate another game. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sofiz said:

Hey, you can't just make up facts like that! There's no way that's true. I don't even think there is such an application. :confused:

Smooooth. They won't suspect a thing!

• Haha 1