N-Europe

Kirby 2018 (Switch)

Cube

Looks OK.

Just how that this isn't an indication that Nintendo are reverting to their old ways and start churning out cheap 2D filler to be able to deny the presence of droughts.

Am definitely not getting it, however.

I can't believe we're getting another quasi-3D, but actually 2D, platformer of another character who we've only just seen have a game like this.

Where the fuck is Waverace, F-Zero, 1080, Battalion Wars, new fucking IP?!

I can't believe we're getting another quasi-3D, but actually 2D, platformer of another character who we've only just seen have a game like this.

Holy shit, since when are people agreeing with me on this? :love:

I don't mind so much with Yoshi as I really enjoyed the last game but I'm not really a fan of Kirby outside of Epic Yarn.

I don't have a problem with another game coming in the franchise for those that want it but where are my franchises..? :sad:

New fucking IP like Arms out in 3 days?

If you're happy with so few IP, well done you.

So few IP? I'm happy with Zelda, Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Pokemon etc all in the space of one or two years thanks. Arms is brand new. There's only so many original concepts one publisher can make.

I like great games, regardless of whether they're new IP or not. If they released a new IP that you weren't keen on, you'd complain "Where's Wave Race!"

There'll be a Nintendo Direct in a couple of months, maybe then, or the one two months after that, etc.

So few IP? I'm happy with Zelda, Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Pokemon etc all in the space of one or two years thanks. Arms is brand new. There's only so many original concepts one publisher can make.

I like great games, regardless of whether they're new IP or not. If they released a new IP that you weren't keen on, you'd complain "Where's Wave Race!"

There'll be a Nintendo Direct in a couple of months, maybe then, or the one two months after that, etc.

Well, that's the point.

The over-abundance of unimpressive 2D stuff did very little to compensate for the lack of AAA content on the Wii U. So the question is: why are Nintendo doing the same with the Switch?

Seriously, don't tell me that you don't think that a realistic looking, thoroughly up to date Waverace or Excitebike with great online functionality and impressive physics wouldn't do more to boost the appeal of the Switch than two sequels to poorly received Wii U games.

This isn't E3-grade stuff. It doesn't hold a candle to anything that anyone else showed off. It's middle-of-october-Nintendo-Direct grade stuff.

I love me some Kirby but it just seems like there's one game after another with him in it at the moment. In the past few years we've had Rainbow Paintbrush, Team Kirby Clash, Robobot, Triple Deluxe and there's a couple other games on the way to celebrate his anniversary.

Yoshi is in a similar position. We've had 2 versions of Woolly World in as many years and the new game looks far too similar to those games.

I get what you're saying. Nintendo have a host of IP at their disposal yet they seem to be using the same ones at the moment. @dazzybee mentioned earlier that maybe these were Wii U games that were development and then crossed over to the Switch. Either way, both these games look to be safe options for Nintendo.

With the arrival of the Switch I was hoping for them to be a lot more experimental but at the moment they are still playing it safe with games like these and the few Wii U ports that have appeared on the Switch.

Well, that's the point.

The over-abundance of unimpressive 2D stuff did very little to compensate for the lack of AAA content on the Wii U. So the question is: why are Nintendo doing the same with the Switch?

Seriously, don't tell me that you don't think that a realistic looking, thoroughly up to date Waverace or Excitebike with great online functionality and impressive physics wouldn't do more to boost the appeal of the Switch than two sequels to poorly received Wii U games.

This isn't E3-grade stuff. It doesn't hold a candle to anything that anyone else showed off. It's middle-of-october-Nintendo-Direct grade stuff.

Two sidescrolling platformers. In amongst Zelda, MK8, Pokken, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Fire Emblem (2017), Xenoblade 2, Pokemon, Metroid Prime etc

I absolutely would have rather had a Waverace or Pilotwings game instead of Kirby, but meh. Can't have everything, and Kirby sells.

I think it seems particularly weird because we've had the 3D Kirby's (plus the new games announced this year) and the wooly world recently and ported to 3DS, so it feels like same old same old.

However, wooly world is amazing so if it's anything like that then great. Also these aren't the only games on the switch so not sure why they'r being singled out, and it's not like most major franchises aren't released every year, or biannually at most; yet they don't get close to the vitriol as some Nintendo franchises.

Do people get this angry about Fifa/cod etc every year? People say Destiny 2 is pretty much Destiny 1/5 so I'm sure that'll comes this annual/biannual iterative way? Genuine question, no idea. I'm happy to buy Fifa every year for new kits :) Just wondered if the standards are the same.

Do people get this angry about Fifa/cod etc every year? People say Destiny 2 is pretty much Destiny 1/5 so I'm sure that'll comes this annual/biannual iterative way? Genuine question, no idea. I'm happy to buy Fifa every year for new kits :) Just wondered if the standards are the same.

The difference is that annual games like Assassins Creed have new stories that people are attached to and invested in, so you are interested in seeing how things play out.

Games like Destiny, FIFA, CoD etc are heavily multiplayer focused which means the experience can change year after year with even the slightest of tweaks. The guys on here who play FIFA Pro Clubs religiously will tell you just how the smallest change can alter how things play out.

I'd say the standards are different because people are wanting Nintendo to branch out some more. With the lack of third parties to cover certain gendered and styles, it's up to Nintendo to pick up the slack. It's understandable if people get a little sick if there's another game with Kirby in it, especially when there are plenty of other characters that could be used.

:D

Well this and Yoshi make me more likely to get a switch sooner than later. My fiancée loves those two ip's (love may be an exaggeration) and wanted a 3ds to play both their last outings. While I do wish their more young male orientated franchises would get revisited I think the family focused ones are a better move for the time being, with more narrow and specific franchises coming out as the console grows it's user base, so the narrower target audience will be bigger. They're releasing Metroid, hopefully next year (guessing no release date to avoid a similar situation as BotW/Starfox had). F-zero/1080/waverace etc would do better getting a release in 2019 to allow mk8 to drop off the radar a bit first. Battalion wars would be a good call for next year though!

Looks OK.

Just how that this isn't an indication that Nintendo are reverting to their old ways and start churning out cheap 2D filler to be able to deny the presence of droughts.

Am definitely not getting it, however.

It makes me so sad that you consider 2D to be filler.

The logical jump you've made here is just surreal.

It makes me so sad that you consider 2D to be filler.

The logical jump you've made here is just surreal.

A gorgeous 2D game can be refreshing once in a while. But it's hardly anything that gets a wide audience hyped. It never holds a candle to Star Wars Battlefront, Fallout, Final Fantasy or Gran Turismo. The console-selling potential of these games is nigh-on zero.

And my "logical jump" is hardly surreal.

Let's look at the new Switch announcements this E3.

Kirby

Yoshi

Metroid Prime 4

Pokémon.

The two latter are so far into the future that there's not even a proper teaser for them. So... yeah, this is something they're making to fill what's likely to be a massive gap in the 2018 lineup. A hole Nintendo were probably expecting third parties would fill.

No chance in hell that two 2D games at the same E3 is a coincidence. And Nintendo know that these games have zero potential to be system sellers. They're very obviously damage control, because they didn't have anything else that could be churned out fast enough.

Sorry, but a reveal of any long-dormant 3D franchise would've done more for the Switch than these two games put together.

A gorgeous 2D game can be refreshing once in a while. But it's hardly anything that gets a wide audience hyped. It never holds a candle to Star Wars Battlefront, Fallout, Final Fantasy or Gran Turismo. The console-selling potential of these games is nigh-on zero.

Inside was my GOTY last year, Shovel Knight a couple of years before. Steamworld Dig, DKTF, Child of Light, Guacamelee etc. Nothing wrong with 2D games, they tend to focus on gameplay which I would take any day over narrative or spectacle

And my "logical jump" is hardly surreal.

Let's look at the new Switch announcements this E3.

Kirby

Yoshi

Metroid Prime 4

Pokémon.

The two latter are so far into the future that there's not even a proper teaser for them. So... yeah, this is something they're making to fill what's likely to be a massive gap in the 2018 lineup. A hole Nintendo were probably expecting third parties would fill.

No chance in hell that two 2D games at the same E3 is a coincidence. And Nintendo know that these games have zero potential to be system sellers. They're very obviously damage control, because they didn't have anything else that could be churned out fast enough.

Sorry, but a reveal of any long-dormant 3D franchise would've done more for the Switch than these two games put together.

You're assuming way too much. Nintendo, for the most part, are keeping their cards closer to their chest these days.

They also didn't create these games to hide a hole in the line-up. Just because they're not for you doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

I've mentioned before that I'm not that into Kirby but my son is 14 months old. In a couple of years time, something like this could be perfect to introduce him to games as it shouldn't be particularly difficult and my wife and I will be able to play alongside him :hehe:

It seems a bit too soon for Kirby, he gets SO many games these days, though I guess it doesn't seem as bad if you just look at home console releases and ignore the 3DS.

This looks decent enough but for the first 10 seconds I couldn't tell if it was HD version of the late Wii game which kinds says it all. this does at least look more polished than that new Yoshi. What material is he even meant to be made out of? He just looks fuzzy and gross. Feels like they quickly whipped that one together with Wooly World and Paper Mario assets.