N-Europe

Monster Hunter XX

Hero-of-Time

In a move that surprised nobody, Capcom are porting XX to the Seitch.

[TWEET]867917703150837760[/TWEET]

Given that the game underperformed, and that Capcom doing nothing but port their games these days, this was always gonna happen.

They really are trying to squeeze everything they can out of the old engine without having to create a new one. They are like the Japanese version of Telltale Games.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. The game wasn't that well received in Japan. Many are suffering franchise fatigue and would rather Capcom give the series a bit of an overhaul, especially when it comes to their graphics engine.

I still don't understand why they don't make a new game with a new engine and go multiplat...personally I don't really care as I've never enjoyed a Monster Hunter game but am I wrong in assuming it would make sense to release a new game on more than just Nintendo platforms?

If this game isn't called Monster Hunter Cross Generations over here in the west I'm gonna throw a fit.

I still don't understand why they don't make a new game with a new engine and go multiplat...personally I don't really care as I've never enjoyed a Monster Hunter game but am I wrong in assuming it would make sense to release a new game on more than just Nintendo platforms?

Considering that this is basically the same situation as MU3U (right down to the western version being held back for the HD re-release), I would imagine that it'll have cross platform local wireless multiplayer with the 3DS version, that's why it's Nintendo exclusive.

MH5 isn't gonna be ready for a good while yet (and will probably run on the RE Engine, since Capcom said they're porting it to Switch), so this'll fill the gap nicely while we wait. I wasn't down for another 3DS outing, but this'll do just fine for now :)

Edited by Dcubed

There were rumours a while back that the next true game in the series will be going multiplatform. Given how badly Capcom are doing, it would make sense to get the thing on as many platforms as possible. I suppose it depends on what deal Capcom and Nintendo have struck to keep the thing exclusive.

The reason why they've never upgraded the engine that much is because Capcom have been in a fortunate enough position where there has always been a console/handheld that has been able to use a slightly upgraded version of their original game. You had the PS2, then PSP, then Wii and then 3DS. Their hand is now being forced to produce something much better now that all of these systems are out of the picture, which is something i'm very happy with. They've coasted along far enough and now it's time to give the game a visual overhaul.

Has XX even come out in Europe yet? Is this releasing over here?

Nah. We've always speculated that if XX was to come over to the West that a Switch version would be the one to make it out over here. While the announcement seems to be for Japan at the moment, E3 is just around the corner so a Western release will probably be announced there.

I imagine Nintendo will be using this as a big game to push their online service when they finally decide to announce the details and price of the thing.

Monster Hunter as a series is one that does best on portables. While it has had main instalments on home consoles before, they've seldom done well and never as well as the portable instalments. Due to 3DS and now Switch being the only portable devices on the market, it makes sense.

It's not Nintendo platforms that are enticing to Capcom. It's portability.

Plus they probably are going for a new engine, but are waiting for the audience to build and are bringing the audience over with this

Edited by Serebii

I think with a little more marketing and a better engine it could be as successful on home consoles as on portables.

Maybe not, though. I don't know. I haven't followed this series at all. It was just surprising to me that they don't go multiplat to maximise sales.

Monster Hunter as a series is one that does best on portables. While it has had main instalments on home consoles before, they've seldom done well and never as well as the portable instalments. Due to 3DS and now Switch being the only portable devices on the market, it makes sense.

While it does do best on handhelds, it has never been given a fair chance on consoles. The original was on the PS2 in a time when online gaming was in it's infancy. The other console versions were consoles not known for their online capabilities, namely the Wii and Wii U. Even then the Wii U version was a HD version of the 3DS game, much like what we are seeing now.

I do think that a Monster Hunter built from the ground up for consoles with strong online setup could do VERY well in the West. Problem is that the Japanese are obsessed with their handhelds, so they would lose that market, unless there is a Switch version as well.

Basically, the series has always been compromised in some way when on a console.

While it does do best on handhelds, it has never been given a fair chance on consoles. The original was on the PS2 in a time when online gaming was in it's infancy. The other console versions were consoles not known for their online capabilities, namely the Wii and Wii U. Even then the Wii U version was a HD version of the 3DS game, much like what we are seeing now.

I do think that a Monster Hunter built from the ground up for consoles with strong online setup could do VERY well in the West. Problem is that the Japanese are obsessed with their handhelds, so they would lose that market, unless there is a Switch version as well.

Basically, the series has always been compromised in some way when on a console.

Well no longer is it an issue, just like Pokémon :P

Buying without hesitation! :D

As much as I'd like to see a new ground-up Monster Hunter on the Switch, I'm happy to wait, so getting a port of Monster Hunter XX seems like a solid option. :)

I just hope they really make a decent effort with scaling the assets so that they look really good on the big screen as well as in portable mode.

Oh and that Wi-Fi issue needs to be sorted out, otherwise I'll be forced to go with the ethernet option, can't be trying to go in for the killing blow on a Brachydios with any lag now. ;)

Ayone would think you do actually care lol

This announcement has added $2 billion dollars to Nintendo's share value...no wonder they want it exclusive!

I think multiplatform, while I would genuinely love to see it reach as many people as possible, isn't always great business sense.

I was watching a video on Titanfall 2 the other day, a game that I loved, and how it didn't sell as many copies over both consoles as the first did on just the Xbox One.

It's a tricky one, but with the Switch being not only such hot property but also having a sparse ish release schedule for the rest of the year as it stands, if they get this out towards the end of the summer it could go gangbusters.

I was watching a video on Titanfall 2 the other day, a game that I loved, and how it didn't sell as many copies over both consoles as the first did on just the Xbox One.

I think that had more to do with EA sending it out to die by releasing right in the middle of Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty, rather than being multiplatform. Had it been released before or after both these games then it would have sold a lot better.

EDIT: Just remembered I will be able to import this if it doesn't come to the West or if the release dates are spaced out too far between regions. It's good to have MH on a region free handheld again. :hug:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Going mulitplat isn't always the best way, I think Rayman would have sold more exclusive to wii u, de blob sold more on wii than 2 did multiplat; just because you can sell to a bigger pool, doesn't mean it's naturally going to sell more. People are a tribal lot, very supportive of those/things close to them. It being exclusive galvanises the fans around it.

Not saying Monster Hunter fist into this, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Almost like - Monster Hunter exclusive to switch, millions buy it. Part because its monster hunter, part because they want games to play on their switch. It gets released on PS4 too, which will look loads betters, have better online support. So Nintendo fans think why should they pay for an inferior game in some ways, some fans don't want to buy it because it's not exclusive. So it sells much less on switch; but then maybe it's a game ps4 fans don't really care for in the main, so they don't buy it either.

Almost like - Monster Hunter exclusive to switch, millions buy it. Part because its monster hunter, part because they want games to play on their switch. It gets released on PS4 too, which will look loads betters, have better online support. So Nintendo fans think why should they pay for an inferior game in some ways, some fans don't want to buy it because it's not exclusive. So it sells much less on switch; but then maybe it's a game ps4 fans don't really care for in the main, so they don't buy it either.

These people need a slap.

Well yeah, but you know they exist! People are weirdly tribal in all aspects of life!

I can see why someone would pick one version over another but to skip a game you want to play just because it's not exclusive is just nuts. Takes all sorts, I suppose.

I can see why someone would pick one version over another but to skip a game you want to play just because it's not exclusive is just nuts. Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Though there are people on these very forums who have done exactly the same :D People did it with Rayman actually I remember.

These people need a slap.

Yep, I agree, utterly stupid way of thinking. But I do understand the point about how some people would skip over a Switch version for a prettier PS4 version.

Then again, some would nix the PS4 version for the portability and Off-TV option the Switch version would provide.

Anyway, MH XX isn't gonna be multi-platform. It was obvious Ninty had exclusive rights on this title. Whether that exclusivity goes on to future installments is another thing.

Though there are people on these very forums who have done exactly the same :D People did it with Rayman actually I remember.

Their loss, I suppose. Rayman was a fantastic game.

Anyway, MH XX isn't gonna be multi-platform. It was obvious Ninty had exclusive rights on this title. Whether that exclusivity goes on to future installments is another thing.

While I would prefer the series back on PlayStation, I think it would be idiotic of Nintendo to let this series go on another platform.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost