NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

General Election 2017 - MJ popcorn gif edition

I'm hoping it's because the only people likely to vote for local elections are old people with nothing better to do.

But I'm aware that the general election will probably have the same outcome.

At least UKIP got wiped out.

I'll ignore the slightly ageist comments at the beginning to say that anyone aged 18 or over who is registered can vote and that polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm. If people can't vote then they should consider postal voting.

It doesn't matter who you vote for but please vote. It's your one chance to change things and make your voice heard regardless of your age, race, gender.... The sad fact is for some people politics is meaningless and feel apathetic or even frustrated about it but our lives are shaped by politics even if we don't realise it and we all should give a damn about it. I should say it's the politicians fault in this as well, they need to relate to us and converse with us whoever we are.

Last year, I heard people being ageist against the elderly about how they may or may not have voted for in the EU ref (not all over 65's did vote leave btw) so what happened to the youth vote well 64% didn't even bother to vote.

I'll leave this here in the hope someone who hasn't yet registered will decide to make their voice heard next month. I have no problem with whatever party someone votes for just make it heard.

and http://www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com

Edited by sumo73

I'll ignore the slightly ageist comments at the beginning to say that anyone aged 18 or over who is registered can vote and that polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm. If people can't vote then they should consider postal voting.

It doesn't matter who you vote for but please vote. It's your one chance to change things and make your voice heard regardless of your age, race, gender.... The sad fact is for some people politics is meaningless and feel apathetic or even frustrated about it but our lives are shaped by politics even if we don't realise it and we all should give a damn about it. I should say it's the politicians fault in this as well, they need to relate to us and converse with us whoever we are.

Last year, I heard people being ageist against the elderly about how they may or may not have voted for in the EU ref (not all over 65's did vote leave btw) so what happened to the youth vote well 64% didn't even bother to vote.

I'll leave this here in the hope someone who hasn't yet registered will decide to make their voice heard next month. I have no problem with whatever party someone votes for just make it heard.

That's what I said. The turnout for young people is very low, hence the 'time disadvantaged' are the ones with the most vote power. And they are more likely to vote conservative.

Nope, it actually got revised up to ~70% did vote: https://fullfact.org/europe/young-voters-and-eu-referendum/

Unless maybe you're including the youth population as a whole, rather than just those registered to vote?

I got my original figure from The Independent in a article from June 2016 (based on Sky Data - 'I might have guessed' and this figure was widely reported) but I can see it's been updated now so thanks, I stand corrected.

Yeah the original figure was passed around a lot and became a thing, but the revised figured wasn't as widely reported.

Apparently 1 million young voters have registered in the last few weeks. Hopefully that turns to actual votes, but the timing isn't great for young voters.

[tweet]864151215063617536[/tweet]

That's right May, we don't want to see you have a go at each other, we want to see you discuss and debate policies and what you believe to be in the country's best interests!

Labour beginning to poll higher under Jeremy Corbyn than it did under Ed Miliband.

This part is interesting, however:

Despite the small rise in Labour’s support, Mr Corbyn’s own ratings remain low. ORB found that only 26 per cent of the public approve of the Labour leader compared to 49 per cent who disapprove.

Labour itself polls better than its leader: 31 per cent of voters feel positively towards the party while 41 per cent do not.

In contrast, Theresa May is significantly more popular than her party. The Prime Minister has a net approval rating of ten per cent while her party has a negative rating of minus two.

Labour beginning to poll higher under Jeremy Corbyn than it did under Ed Miliband.

This part is interesting, however:

Despite the small rise in Labour’s support, Mr Corbyn’s own ratings remain low. ORB found that only 26 per cent of the public approve of the Labour leader compared to 49 per cent who disapprove.

Labour itself polls better than its leader: 31 per cent of voters feel positively towards the party while 41 per cent do not.

In contrast, Theresa May is significantly more popular than her party. The Prime Minister has a net approval rating of ten per cent while her party has a negative rating of minus two.

So May is on a net of 10%, Corbyn is on -23?

Conservatives on a net of -2%, while Labour is on -10%? or am I reading that wrong?

I'm not voting Labour just because their manifesto website design requires scrolling back up to read the start of the next column.

I agree more with Labour's manifesto, but Lib Dems are promising a 2nd EU referendum and a proportional representation voting system, which imo are far more important/impactful than anything else the other parties are promising.

But on the other hand I don't see Lib Dems winning in my area, so it would make sense to vote tactically (which I hate doing, but until we get PR there's nothing more we can do).

I think the ideal government would be a Labour/Lib Dems/SNP/Green coalition, and probable more likely than Labour getting a majority. SHame Lab/Lib have rejected the call for a progressive alliance. Although I understand why JC would never do that, as the media would jump all over it to criticise him as being too weak to stand alone (and strengthen this nonsense notion that Theresa May is somehow a strong leader).

Edited by MoogleViper

I agree more with Labour's manifesto, but Lib Dems are promising a 2nd EU referendum and a proportional representation voting system, which imo are far more important/impactful than anything else the other parties are promising.

But on the other hand I don't see Lib Dems winning in my area, so it would make sense to vote tactically (which I hate doing, but until we get PR there's nothing more we can do).

I think the ideal government would be a Labour/Lib Dems/SNP/Green coalition, and probable more likely than Labour getting a majority. SHame Lab/Lib have rejected the call for a progressive alliance. Although I understand why JC would never do that, as the media would jump all over it to criticise him as being too weak to stand alone (and strengthen this nonsense notion that Theresa May is somehow a strong leader).

I think the problem is that the left wing in this country is split into 4 smaller parties, whereas there is only really one right wing party (UKIP are basically dead now). So the Conservatives basically only have to pit themselves against left wing ideologies, whereas any of the left wing parties are fighting amongst themselves for votes.

It makes me sick how Theresa May is avoiding any kind of debate in the run-up to this election. She's been in my hometown and where I live now in the past week and I'm reading all over social media that these events were closed to the public. It's almost as if she knows her manifesto doesn't appeal to people in these cities and she doesn't want people asking her tough questions. These stage-managed appearances in the North are being endlessly shown in the media as her "meeting with Joe Public" and listening to people's concerns. The words "strong and stable" make me want to put my fist through a wall.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that the Tories will win, purely because the media campaign against Corbyn and Labour is so strong. A lot of my friends and acquaintances are going to vote Conservative purely because of Brexit, immigration and because they see Corbyn as "unelectable", such is the power media has over the population. Lambs to the slaughter.

I know Corbyn isn't the perfect leader, there's a lot I disagree with him on, but he's a far sight better than Blair or Brown ever were and has the potential to really change the lives of millions of people in this country. More years of austerity and cuts will only drive Britain further into the ground. with the poorest, sick and disabled bearing the brunt of it. As someone who has regularly used the NHS all of my life and would be dead without a life-saving operation at the age of 1, it makes me despair at just how bad things have got here, particularly in the NHS. Living abroad for five years was a wake up call, almost every small to medium sized town center in Greater Manchester is in decay spare betting and charity shops (take a trip to Bolton and see for yourself). Investment is non-existent and the vast majority of our working population is working in the service industry. Continuing down this path genuinely worries me, especially when a "hard-Brexit" is on the cards, where will the breaking point be?

Bonus picture: Corbyn in York last week.

C_eckGiXUAER35D.jpg

I think the problem is that the left wing in this country is split into 4 smaller parties, whereas there is only really one right wing party (UKIP are basically dead now). So the Conservatives basically only have to pit themselves against left wing ideologies, whereas any of the left wing parties are fighting amongst themselves for votes.

Yeah it's a huge issue, and a problem which is compounded by FPTP. In a PR system it wouldn't matter so much as it would just give us a left-wing coalition government.

#WeakAndWobbly

[tweet]866648343879053312[/tweet]

I wonder if the general election will be postponed in light of the attack in Manchester last night. All parties suspended campaigning today and will continue to suspend it tomorrow and with the election only a couple of weeks away it would seem distasteful for any politicians or media to start engaging in party politics, it will all seem so petty after such an appalling act of terrorism.

I wonder if the general election will be postponed in light of the attack in Manchester last night. All parties suspended campaigning today and will continue to suspend it tomorrow and with the election only a couple of weeks away it would seem distasteful for any politicians or media to start engaging in party politics, it will all seem so petty after such an appalling act of terrorism.

I disagree, democracy should continue as planned. Similarly to last year.

Agreed. It's tragic, utterly awful, but letting it halt campaigning on one of the most important votes this country has had in a long time only gives more weight to the attack. We don't need to "move on" but we need to move forward.

Campaigning resumes on Friday, although I did briefly spot something about UKIP continuing straight away at one of those news bulletin TVs at a train station yesterday but didn't pay it much mind.

I totally accept that the election needs to take place but after the events of Monday night the personal attacks and snide remarks that usually populate an election campaign will seem so hollow and petty in light of such a traumatic incident.

Just catching up with The Battle for Number 10 as I missed it yesterday.

I'm only 20 minutes in, so Corbyn has just finished addressing the audience and answering their questions. Paxman has only asked one question and I just want to hit him. Hard.

Paxman: "This manifesto...your key ideas didn't make it in did they?!"

Corbyn: "It's a collection of ideas and beliefs that are were created on behalf of the whole party-"

Paxman: "SO YOUR BELIEFS DIDN'T MAKE IT IN DID THEY?!"