NEurope
Ashley

Do you know what you're doing?

At the moment I'm browsing the Internet at work while I should be designing an invitation for school alumni.

In the grander sense, I've got no idea what I'm doing and I have a strong feeling that later on in life I'm going to be screwed.

I like to think so myself. Others may think differently.

I pay my bills on time, have a steady job and have good references from previous jobs. All points towards I know what I'm doing professionally!

Living life one day at a time. Decent enough career and that's about it, I just wing it day to day.

I mostly know what i'm doing. Got a decent job (no longer career), perfect girlfriend and a great family and group of friends.

Yes, but I refuse to be held responsible for it due to diminished mental capacity.

Cackle.

I'm doing things, and I kinda know what I'm doing as I'm doing them, but I never know/knew that these were the things I was going to do.

I like doing it like that.

It seems that people don't have weekly existential crises like I do. That's disappointing.

It seems that people don't have weekly existential crises like I do. That's disappointing.
Well, i have one about every planck time.

Nope mine are far more based in reality of dying alone, unlikely to get a house, worries of plenty of what if scenarios, etc.

We all have our crisis of sorts, but doesn't necessarily mean we don't know what we're currently doing in life.

I thought I did but now I'm unemployed after I ended up leaving two jobs in the space of two months.

tumblr_lx1jcnt4eq1qgv0noo1_250.gif

For a long time I think I almost do. I've got a job which pays less than Tesco but more hours and it's doing something I've been working towards and I hope I don't screw it up. It's just all about saving this money now.

Do I know what I'm doing?

Not really, no. But, I think most people pretend that they do. It depends on what we mean by the question and where we apply it. Love, life, career, friendships, family, wealth, etc.

It's like having a graph and then a line of best fit. I think most people try to get as close to that line as possible, but the reality is that there will probably always have one area which you're doing better in than others, or one area that could always be better. Some may have to look harder than others.

Overall, I'm happy. I do have maybe one month a year or one week a month where I have an inner crisis of "what are you doooooooiiiiing?" Mostly relating to work and family.

Happiness is not a continuous state of mind. Its little moments.

I've realised this more and more as time marches forward, it helps to put things into perspective. :)

Yes, I do know what I'm doing, at least on the face of it.

I make just enough money to get by from a large corporation who essentially sell life-style choices when you break it down. (I work in a Supermarket) ::shrug:

But I realise that I'm there more for the people who I come into contact with on an almost everyday basis, the other staff are excellent, I generally just get on with everyone even if we don't agree on everything, so that's nice. :)

Customers are excellent as well, I've built up quite a rapport with some of my regulars over time and it's always nice to see them, I realise that I get a fair amount out of the social interaction too even if it is tiring at times but that's a whole other thing due to my Aspergers & Anxiety combo. :p

It's all part-time (the only work going there) so this gives me time to write for and frequent the wonderful forums of N-Europe, I'm sure you all know by now that I have a lot of love & respect for this place and the members who make it such a great place, so again I'd like to say "Thank You" because even though it's a simple enough phrase, sometimes it doesn't get said often enough. : peace:

Looking to the future I really do want to get into making a game on some level, incidentally I've just had a week off but with so much to catch up on I just decided to mainly focus on improving my living environment as I have a feeling that everything else will follow on from that, I've made some good progress and I hope that by the next time I have a week off that I might use it to check out some tutorials in Unreal Engine and/or Unity in addition to finally dabbling with Game Maker. :geek:

It's excellent to see others making games, I enjoyed dabbling in the game @Ashley made (even if I don't quite understand all of the mechanics but that's just something I've got to figure out) as it's good to see what you can do when you put your mind to something and I look forward to seeing what you do in the future. :smile:

So I have a rough idea of what I'm doing though I still feel that there's a lot to learn yet, but that's OK... I've just got to manage me time a bit better though. :p

No.

Im trying to do something extremely life changing [in a good way], but its not really working right now. Also cant ask for help.

Do I know what I'm doing? Yes. Am I happy with what I'm doing? Kind of. Could things be better? Things could be much worse.

Looking to the future I really do want to get into making a game on some level, incidentally I've just had a week off but with so much to catch up on I just decided to mainly focus on improving my living environment as I have a feeling that everything else will follow on from that, I've made some good progress and I hope that by the next time I have a week off that I might use it to check out some tutorials in Unreal Engine and/or Unity in addition to finally dabbling with Game Maker. :geek:

It's excellent to see others making games, I enjoyed dabbling in the game @Ashley made (even if I don't quite understand all of the mechanics but that's just something I've got to figure out) as it's good to see what you can do when you put your mind to something and I look forward to seeing what you do in the future. :smile:

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say :) Out of curiosity - do you not understand the mechanics of how a game is made, or the mechanics of mine?

What kind of thing are you looking to make? If you just want to do something and don't want to worry about the coding, I've had a dabble with Stencyl and it seems like it would be easy enough to use (I only went through the tutorials to get a sense of it).

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say :) Out of curiosity - do you not understand the mechanics of how a game is made, or the mechanics of mine?

What kind of thing are you looking to make? If you just want to do something and don't want to worry about the coding, I've had a dabble with Stencyl and it seems like it would be easy enough to use (I only went through the tutorials to get a sense of it).

You're most welcome :) And a bit of both really :p I used to write code back in the Amstrad 6128+ days so (early 90's) so I understand the basic processes behind it all being essentially to send sets of instructions and processes but I've never coded since, well aside from HTML of course.

Regarding your game, I understand the core concept but I think I must be either doing something wrong or I keep breaking it somehow... ::shrug: I seem to get into a dialogue box, advance it with Enter and then not be able to do anything, perhaps it's my PC - I've had troubles with Unity based software before such as the Yooka-Laylee demo until recently - or me not understanding what I can or can't do, it's a shame as well because I really want to play it some more but I haven't managed to advance past the tutorial. :blush:

But yeah, making games without coding seems like that could be the way forward for me, so I've got that site bookmarked and I'll have a play around with it soon. : peace:

We may end up needing a general "Game Making" thread soon I reckon, not meaning to de-rail your thread but then again it does still come back to the original question because in these cases, I probably don't know what I'm doing... yet. ;)

I've realised this more and more as time marches forward, it helps to put things into perspective. :)

Yes, I do know what I'm doing, at least on the face of it.

I make just enough money to get by from a large corporation who essentially sell life-style choices when you break it down. (I work in a Supermarket) ::shrug:

But I realise that I'm there more for the people who I come into contact with on an almost everyday basis, the other staff are excellent, I generally just get on with everyone even if we don't agree on everything, so that's nice. :)

Customers are excellent as well, I've built up quite a rapport with some of my regulars over time and it's always nice to see them, I realise that I get a fair amount out of the social interaction too even if it is tiring at times but that's a whole other thing due to my Aspergers & Anxiety combo. :p

It's all part-time (the only work going there) so this gives me time to write for and frequent the wonderful forums of N-Europe, I'm sure you all know by now that I have a lot of love & respect for this place and the members who make it such a great place, so again I'd like to say "Thank You" because even though it's a simple enough phrase, sometimes it doesn't get said often enough. : peace:

So I have a rough idea of what I'm doing though I still feel that there's a lot to learn yet, but that's OK... I've just got to manage me time a bit better though. :p

Love this guy :love:

I've always had an interest in game development too and got to experiment with a couple of things at university but I never had the opportunity to take it further. It feels crazy to me that I graduated almost 8 years ago :shakehead

I can barely believe how quickly time seems to pass by now and with a wife, child, dog and full-time job it's difficult to find time to pursue my own interests. I recently started messing around with capturing game footage and editing it together with graphics I designed but it's impossible to fit this in around other things I need or want to do right now.

Ultimately, whether you know what you're doing or not, anything can happen and throw it all up in the air. I'm happily married with a beautiful 10-month-old boy and a job that feels secure so I don't have much at all to complain about :smile:

I'm thankful for everything I've got and worked for!

Edited by nekunando