NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

Fixed the elevator as well and can now start at chamber 2. But that doesn't really help as I can usually clear chamber 1 without taking any damage and will thus get an extra heart.
Switch says that I've been playing the game for more than 5 hours. Seems to fit the bill quite well.

On another note, Light Fall is supposed to drop today but can't find it on nintendo.co.uk. Is the game out in Europe today or is it only in the US?

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

On another note, Light Fall is supposed to drop today but can't find it on nintendo.co.uk. Is the game out in Europe today or is it only in the US?

Was on the eshop this morning and it was indeed up there for purchase, for £11.99 if I remember correctly. Odd that it wasn't in the Coming Soon section but might give it a look myself once I've finished up a few other indie games o have on the Switch.

• Thanks 1

Woah, finally got to meet the boss in Enter the Gungeon. Had a really good run with nice items end some healing. Unfortunately, four hearts and two armors were not enough to match the Dragun but got it down to a little below half life left. 

Also fixed the elevator to go to the third level. Now I have to give him four pieces of junk? Damn.

• Like 1

Started and finished Oxenfree today. Cool game, didn't expect it to get quite so weird. The ending was pretty unsatisfying though, as a lot of game endings seem to be these days :blank: but otherwise good fun, great voice acting and lovely visuals/audio.

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Started and finished Oxenfree today. Cool game, didn't expect it to get quite so weird. The ending was pretty unsatisfying though, as a lot of game endings seem to be these days :blank: but otherwise good fun, great voice acting and lovely visuals/audio.

Seriously, play it again.

Spoiler

The story continues in new game+.

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Seriously, play it again.

Reveal hidden contents

The story continues in new game+.

Spoiler

I read up about that but I don't really have the motivation to go through it all again. Enjoyed it a lot the first time though, I just think it's a bit annoying they don't give you a sense of closure unless you play the exact same thing again (more or less). 

Nice game though I just like more definitive endings in games. Darkest Dungeon did almost exactly the same thing and it really annoyed me given how much I adore that game. 

Edited by Ronnie

I just finally played through Oxenfree too. I enjoyed it for the most part, the presentation was pretty flawless (I did run into a bit of a bug where the game froze while Alex was climbing down a cliff) but the characters grated on me a bit towards the end. The character art and music really reminded me of Celeste, will have to look up the artists to see if any of the same people worked on both. Football Manager has swallowed up pretty much all of my game time over the last few weeks so I'm forcing myself to take a break from it to get through some other games. Dark Souls getting delayed means end of May into early June is pretty open for me so I'll probably start Xenoblade 2 then after I've played through Serial Cleaner and Steamworld Dig 2. 

There are only 2 games that I wasn't aware of, so it's just a simple showcase of mostly older games. Maybe they're new in Japan.

Finished Kamiko yesterday with the 3rd character, in the hope of unlocking the secret menu. Turns out you need to do more, but for the moment I can't be bothered. It was a nice game though, for the few bucks it costed I got enough value out of it.

Played and finished Old Man's Journey this morning. It's a little pricey for a game that's about an hour and a half long, but it's also one of the prettiest games I've ever played. Gorgeous visuals and animation with a touching story. Very pleased to have experienced it.

It's on Switch/PC/iOS. The devs said because the Switch version did so well they're thinking of porting it to other consoles.

Edited by Ronnie

Oh wow, that looks rather good.  Like a much more Metroidvania version of Shovel Knight.

Back in the late-90s there was a classic comic called Battle Chasers, which was so highly thought of, there has been a game based on it 20 years later.  I was a fan at the time, and am honoured to have done the review:

Battle Chasers: Nightwar

content-2-35469-battlechasersnightwarsidebox.jpg

Thanks to @S.C.G!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Back in the late-90s there was a classic comic called Battle Chasers, which was so highly thought of, there has been a game based on it 20 years later.  I was a fan at the time, and am honoured to have done the review:

Battle Chasers: Nightwar

content-2-35469-battlechasersnightwarsidebox.jpg

Thanks to @S.C.G!

I ordered that yesterday and it'll be here tomorrow. It gets decent reviews and it looks to be just up my alley so I hope I'll enjoy it. :)

• Like 1

Nice review, @Grazza. I was tempted to pick it up myself but I watched a few video reviews on YouTube over the weekend and found 2 common problems kept cropping up. The first was the long loading times, which is something I hate having to put up with. The second was the lack of polish, with framerate issues hitting the game at various spots. Given that the Switch version is late to the market and is also an extra £20 over other versions I find it a bit of a hard pill to swallow. I may just wait for a price drop and patches to sort out the issues. I could also just pick up the other consoles version for £15, which by all accounts runs a lot smoother.

I honestly held out on this game until the Switch version was released but it's hard to support such games when they release a lot later, cost more but still have technical issues.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nice review, @Grazza. I was tempted to pick it up myself but I watched a few video reviews on YouTube over the weekend and found 2 common problems kept cropping up. The first was the long loading times, which is something I hate having to put up with. The second was the lack of polish, with framerate issues hitting the game at various spots. Given that the Switch version is late to the market and is also an extra £20 over other versions I find it a bit of a hard pill to swallow. I may just wait for a price drop and patches to sort out the issues. I could also just pick up the other consoles version for £15, which by all accounts runs a lot smoother.

I honestly held out on this game until the Switch version was released but it's hard to support such games when they release a lot later, cost more but still have technical issues.

Thanks, Hero-of-Time.  I did a search to see if there was a thread for this game and saw you were interested in it. 

To be honest, I just didn't know for sure how it compared to the other versions.  There are certainly long loading times, but I didn't feel qualified to assess things like framerate.  In its defence, I never encountered any technical glitches that impeded my playtime - it was more that the combination of detailed graphics, small visuals and occasional darkness felt like they were slowing down my progress (especially as you have to read/see a lot).  I hope I got across my true impression of the game, which is that there's room for optimisation, particularly as a Switch game.  Some tweaks, especially in terms of adapting it to handheld, could really give it a boost.

Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 1

I was interested in it as well, well, I still am, but with the seemingly lack of optimization it drops in priority significantly. Plenty of games this month, and I still have to buy Kirby and Donkey.

Edited by Sméagol

Hollow Knight info...

So, the ultimate question is when...?!

Soon... All we can say it that it’s very soon... And we know that we have made people wait but we do think the quality of the product is worth it. The time that we’ve put into it has made the Switch version the perfect version of Hollow Knight and it really was worth the time we have taken. Nintendo has a philosophy and we’ve spoken to them a lot. The one thing is that there’s never been any pressure regarding dates, there’s been nothing but support.

We are really happy with the fact that the excitement hasn’t died down in that gap between PC and Switch. We are at the finish line but can’t say anything conclusive regarding timing, so until things are rock solid, we have to wait but we know exactly what’s going to happen.

Hmmmm....shadow drop at E3?

This is something I've been thinking myself with regards to Hollow Knight. It's a big name indie title for the console, especially as it hasn't been announced for any other consoles (yet, I suspect it will eventually tho), and has a high critical and fan reception so if there was one indie game to be dropped at around E3, it would probably be that one. I could see it happening as it surely can't be much further away now. Just hope that they really have optimised the hell out of it for release as the PC version wasn't exactly the best optimised. Fingers crossed for it finally hitting around that time or shortly after the show.

It's a weird sort of visual novel.

No real gameplay to speak of, but an amazing atmosphere, characters, and worldbuilding. I like the soundtrack as well.

• Thanks 1

At first glance, it looks like another Meatboy style platformer, but it's actually more of a puzzle game.

• Like 1

The Adventures of Elena Temple

content-2-35475-theadventuresofelenatemplesidebox.jpg

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm playing Battle Chasers: Nightwar at the moment, about 8 hours into the game and have just met my fourth potential party member. It's a good game overall, it ticks the right boxes of the genre and the battles are mostly enjoyable. However, I think the pace of the game is too slow, you move around slowly both in the overworld and in the dungeons, the battles are slow-ish, the loading screens are slow, and you have to have characters actively in the party and in battles to level them up - something I really dislike nowadays due to time constraints in general. That's my main criticism but it drains me a bit when playing the game. Also, the text is small in handheld mode which makes it harder to play for a longer period of time.

I have played the first two or three dungeons on Hard but I have also died a couple of times (bleeding takes so much more damage from me than it does from my enemies - why??) but overall the difficulty suits me fine.

Easily my most anticipated game after Dragon Quest XI.

Can't wait for next Tuesday :D Hopefully it'll be released at midnight.

• Like 1