NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Hmm, the 'can't fall off the side' option is bound to be divisive.

Presser also confirms the Splatoon track is Battle Mode only.

Edited by Ashley

Actually it should keep everyone on the same track.

I'm sure you can still get knocked off by some git with a star purposely swerving and screwing themself over just to spite you.

*Looks at everyone in the N-E League*

I might be misremembering, but I think I heard something about that feature only being available in offline modes, Single Player, Local Multiplayer, et

Ba-Dum-Tsss-With-Harley-Quinn-On-The-Drums-In-Batman-The-Animated-Series.gif

*groans*

I'm sure you can still get knocked off by some git with a star purposely swerving and screwing themself over just to spite you.

*Looks at everyone in the N-E League*

I might be misremembering, but I think I heard something about that feature only being available in offline modes, Single Player, Local Multiplayer, et

Oh yeah it seems you can still be knocked off.

This is all the UK presser says about it though so can't confirm regarding what modes its available on.

Budding racers who are new to the series and wish to learn the tracks can now make use of the new Smart Steering feature, which will help prevent them from driving off the course.

I also love this very natural sounding line:

Up to four friends can play on a single Nintendo Switch console in TV mode, or in tabletop mode by using the stand at the back of the console and placing it on a flat surface

Still secretly hoping for a discount for wii u owners.... but never going to happen...

Hope they fix the go awful time trial mode and you can change rules in battle mode...

Oh this no fall off thing, they had the activated at the Switch events as I tried to mushroom through a grassy patch on the course to get in the lead and it wouldn't let me. Some invisible wall guiding me round properly.

I just thought it was something purely for the demo so kids etc had a chance?

Can that be turned off? I really didn't like it.

Oh this no fall off thing, they had the activated at the Switch events as I tried to mushroom through a grassy patch on the course to get in the lead and it wouldn't let me. Some invisible wall guiding me round properly.

I just thought it was something purely for the demo so kids etc had a chance?

Can that be turned off? I really didn't like it.

Yeah it's something you have to say you want; having a toddler and a girlfriend who hates the tracks she falls off of all the time I think this is a great feature

Smart Steering to stop you falling off is a good option when playing with very young or very casual gamers. They can fall off all the time otherwise and end up getting lapped.

Although I have never been into battle mode the arenas do look good, hopefully I enjoy battles more this time. I did like Diddy Kong Racing battle mode so there is hope.

Hope they fix the go awful time trial mode

What would you like them to change? The main thing that bothered me was not being able to compare times with friends like in Mario Kart Wii. And when viewing the top ghosts it looked like they were using some kind of cheating technique which is really off-putting if you want to race normally.

Yeah it's something you have to say you want; having a toddler and a girlfriend who hates the tracks she falls off of all the time I think this is a great feature

I mean it's great for some people but I'm glad you can turn it off.

Smart Steering to stop you falling off is a good option when playing with very young or very casual gamers. They can fall off all the time otherwise and end up getting lapped.

Although I have never been into battle mode the arenas do look good, hopefully I enjoy battles more this time. I did like Diddy Kong Racing battle mode so there is hope.

What would you like them to change? The main thing that bothered me was not being able to compare times with friends like in Mario Kart Wii. And when viewing the top ghosts it looked like they were using some kind of cheating technique which is really off-putting if you want to race normally.

Yeah that's pretty much it; the Wii version was excellent, genuinely competitive and could even send the ghost to someone for an active challenge, this is just a really awful way. Just give us a simple list with all of our friends to see where we place!! Easy.

This is a major detail. You wouldn't be able to pull off a lot of shortcuts with steering assist.

So that sorts any balancing issues out, the people who turn it off will be able utilise shortcuts to get ahead.

Knowing that, I'm all in favour of this feature. I tried bringing Mario Kart 8 to the kids at my local community centre and less than a quarter of them managed to control themselves without crashing every few seconds. They weren't having much fun.

Thankfully, Smash saved the day. 8 player smash always guarantees fun.

Hopefully, Steering Assist will help them out.

So, for example, if I were playing this with my nephews they could have this assist on but I don't have to? Is that correct?

So, for example, if I were playing this with my nephews they could have this assist on but I don't have to? Is that correct?

Yep! Certainly is.

I'd imagine so. My guess (And it's only a guess) is that it's something you select while choosing your Character/Kart Setup.

Much like how you could select Automatic Drifting in Mario Kart Wii.

Thanks. I was a bit worried about the talk of it being an invisible wall. It was starting to sound like it was enabled for a course rather than a player.

I think it's great news then!

I'm really excited for this game to come out on the Switch! As someone who didn't own the Wii U, the depth in content seems just right, as do the addition/return of modes (as someone who hasn't played Mario Kart since the NDS days - Download Play with friends mainly - it's great to see the Battle Mode make a return).

We have a family Wii console that doesn't see as much play as it used to - obviously - but a game that always brought me and my siblings together to spend a day or two playing on that thing was SEGA All Stars Racing; besides the other games which I'm of course excited to get when I get my Switch, this is one I genuinely can't wait for, simply because it's been a while since I've played a competitive but fun multiplayer game with my siblings!

Yeah that's pretty much it; the Wii version was excellent, genuinely competitive and could even send the ghost to someone for an active challenge, this is just a really awful way. Just give us a simple list with all of our friends to see where we place!! Easy.

Agreed, really hope they go restore features Mario Kart Wii time trial had. Have a feeling this won't happen though. I will never understand why they changed it after getting it so right.

If I remember right another detail they dropped with the Wii U version was seeing everyone's exact finish times at the end of a race. Great for those close finishes. Would be nice if that made a return.

Nintendo are offering two mugs as pre-order bonuses on the official store, those who ordered the game earlier will get both mugs.

11419722-2334465131116760.jpg

11419737-1314465131072141.jpg

They don't look as good as expected so I'm tempted to go digital with Mario Kart because i'll be playing it a lot anyway.

I don't think so, but Nintendo seem intent on having parity between physical and digital so I'm sure it'll be £49.99 on the eShop.

See thats my problem. I would probably prefer to get this digitally as well but I've already got the physical copy preordered for £40 and I'm willing to shell out the extra money.

Yeah, I can get it for £40, but this really is a game it'd be great to have digitally so I'll spend the extra money for that.