NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

This ad needs online!

As much as you're making these remarks, surely you see the benefit if it stated it supported online play... no?

As much as you're making these remarks, surely you see the benefit if it stated it supported online play... no?

I think it's a great ad, as great as the other Switch ads to date, I haven't given it much thought beyond that.

I think it's a great ad, as great as the other Switch ads to date, I haven't given it much thought beyond that.

How about you give a little thought to it then? Given that you posted the snarky comment either side of this...

I'm not "looking into it", we know it'll have online, I'm just wondering why they don't mention it. It is a selling point after all... probably moreso than the 8 player local play in all honesty. ::shrug:

The message it gives is that online isn't a focus once again... and that isn't good, surely..?

...are you just trying to incite an argument like people say you always do?

If not, then why not form some sort of thought out reply, or is that asking too much?

@Glen\-i said it better than I could have. The rest was a bit of fun, that's all.

@kav82 I genuinely don't think it should've stated it has online, if it did, fine, but I don't, I think everyone knows it'll have online, or they won't care. I also don't think it's the point of the advert, the point is the play anywhere.

You are crazy obsessed with online :D

The point is that Nintendo are coming off the back of a failed console with features that didn't cut the mustard and wouldn't have done back in 2006!

They need to break away from their image of constantly lagging behind the competition. Online is a HUGE part of this. If you don't think it is, you're a fool, it's quite that simple... as reported last year, Sony's PSN alone made more money than the whole of Nintendo!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-28-sonys-psn-is-making-more-money-than-all-of-nintendo

It's not that I'm obsessed with online, it's that Nintendo should be and the message they're putting out doesn't show that they have caught up, yet again!

Yeah but when you're dealing with the general populace, online is assumed and adding more to the trailer would muddy the message

The point is that Nintendo are coming off the back of a failed console with features that didn't cut the mustard and wouldn't have done back in 2006!

They need to break away from their image of constantly lagging behind the competition. Online is a HUGE part of this. If you don't think it is, you're a fool, it's quite that simple... as reported last year, Sony's PSN alone made more money than the whole of Nintendo!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-28-sonys-psn-is-making-more-money-than-all-of-nintendo

It's not that I'm obsessed with online, it's that Nintendo should be and the message they're putting out doesn't show that they have caught up, yet again!

Mate, you obviously are obsessed with online, I don't think there'd be anyone on here that would say you wouldn't you and voice chat have become synonymous. It's not a bad thing, it's important to you. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think so.

As for everything you say, it's all true, but not relevent at all. This advert is about showing you can play anywhere with the nintendo switch. It successfully does that. Them showing you can play online with friends, which you've been able to do with Mario Kart for over 10 years is pointless and wouldn't remedy any of the issues you point out.

@dazzybee you raise a good point but then again, why mention split-screen when that's always been in? It's to provide detailed information for your consumers, to put out a message.

For me, a multiplayer game has to have online. Not because I'm obsessed, but because I game with my mates.

I don't get how this is hard to understand..? ::shrug:

If a multiplayer game doesn't have online, I don't get it and I may criticise it for that... but what blows things out of proportion is those that then give you shit for doing so. They're obsessed with people not having negative views.

Here's an example (borrowing from @Ronnie):

I criticise about online, Ronnie bitches and moans at me.

Ronnie criticises the PS4 Pro, I didn't bitch and moan at him.

I'm not the one obsessed. ;)

Yeah but when you're dealing with the general populace, online is assumed and adding more to the trailer would muddy the message

...and "muddying the message"..? Seriously?!

All it needed was a quick graphic or something when it was saying play 4-player split-screen and 8-player local, another one could've said play online with up to "x" number of people.

That isn't muddying the message. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

The should have shown how many cups are in the game, and what each item does, and what the menu system looks like.

Or, what they actually did was provide a focused, clear and concise look at what the game and system are about. Play Mario Kart, at home, on the go and with friends.

No need to over-analyse everything. Not EVERYTHING needs nitpicking criticism. It's a 30 second ad, some things are assumed.

For me, a multiplayer game has to have online. Not because I'm obsessed, but because I game with my mates.

I don't get how this is hard to understand..? ::shrug:

If a multiplayer game doesn't have online, I don't get it and I'll criticise it for that... but what blows things out of proportion is those that then give you shit for doing so. They're obsessed with people not having negative views.

Here's an example (borrowing from @Ronnie):

I criticise about online, Ronnie bitches and moans at me.

Ronnie criticises the PS4 Pro, I didn't bitch and moan at him.

It's not that I'm obsessed. ;)

...and "muddying the message"..? Seriously?!

All it needed was a quick graphic or something when it was saying play 4-player split-screen and 8-player local, another one could've said play online with up to "x" number of people.

That isn't muddying the message. :rolleyes:

Completely understand, and most would agree, I still get annoyed thinking about how amazing Pikmin 3 Bingo Battle online would be, in fact I wrote an article about all the stupid missed opportunities nintendo made about online. I get that.

But in this instance, I really don't think it's relevent at all. But because you're obsessed with online :) you want it to be a part of everything!

And when I say obsessed, I don't mean in a negative/attacking way, just that it's what you bring up all the time.

Though saying that you do attack nintendo almost daily about online and voice chat :D

@dazzybee you raise a good point but then again, why mention split-screen when that's always been in? It's to provide detailed information for your consumers, to put out a message.

True, but then if they didn't show split screen I wouldn't think that was bad either. Also if they showed someone on their own voice chatting with their mates and then taking it away and meeting up with said mate I wouldn't object to that either. I guess I just think it's a great ad which shows brilliantly why the switch is awesome.

And you did see the guy on the toilet yeah?!

It's like you didn't read the start of my post that you quoted at all. Haha

It's like you didn't read the start of my post that you quoted at all. Haha

We're posting at the same time now and adding things to our posts I think :) Do you mean the bit I quoted at the end of my post?

The should have shown how many cups are in the game, and what each item does, and what the menu system looks like.

Or, what they actually did was provide a focused, clear and concise look at what the game and system are about. Play Mario Kart, at home, on the go and with friends.

No need to over-analyse everything. Not EVERYTHING needs nitpicking criticism. It's a 30 second ad, some things are assumed.

This is what I mean by blowing things out of proportion.

I've tried not to say it but I'm starting to agree with the general consensus... that you are the rotten part of this forum!

You never listen to arguments and never post constructively.

This is what I mean by blowing things out of proportion.

I've tried not to say it but I'm starting to agree with the general consensus... that you are the rotten part of this forum!

You never listen to arguments and never post constructively.

Lovely stuff. I'll be sure to call you rotten next time I think it

We're posting at the same time now and adding things to our posts I think :) Do you mean the bit I quoted at the end of my post?

I meant the bit I said how if it's multiplayer it needs online for me because I game with friends.

Lovely stuff. I'll be sure to call you rotten next time I think it

Or, try discussing things constructively perhaps..?

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

Come on now, be reasonable. Adding a logo showing it has online in the end would not distract from the message and is a nice information to have. Might even sell to those that don't have 7 friends with a Switch...

It's still a long time before this game releases as well Kav, I'm sure they'll highlight online and other features in an ad closer to release.

It's still a long time before this game releases as well Kav, I'm sure they'll highlight online and other features in an ad closer to release.

Or after the release :p

Or after the release :p

How is that an issue really? Before you buy the game, you check out the box and see the online logo on the back. Personally, I don't need every bit of info on a game communicated to me in a limited ad.

How is that an issue really? Before you buy the game, you check out the box and see the online logo on the back. Personally, I don't need every bit of info on a game communicated to me in a limited ad.

Well maybe for those that aren't entirely clued up on things (parents buying for kids, for example) you'd want to know what games will be online before buying the Switch, especially considering you may have heard they're going to be charging for online going forward.

Well maybe for those that aren't entirely clued up on things (parents buying for kids, for example) you'd want to know what games will be online before buying the Switch, especially considering you may have heard they're going to be charging for online going forward.

Surely its safe to assume that games that were previously online on both the Wii U and 3DS will be online on the Switch?

Surely its safe to assume that games that were previously online on both the Wii U and 3DS will be online on the Switch?

For us, yes. But for people who aren't in the know, like I'd said, it's another matter. My mrs wouldn't have known if the next Mario Kart is online if it wasn't for me, her kids could've been asking about the Switch and she'd not have known, she could've bought it only to find out later that online then charges... it's a mess, they need clear messaging!

For us, yes. But for people who aren't in the know, like I'd said, it's another matter. My mrs wouldn't have known if the next Mario Kart is online if it wasn't for me, her kids could've been asking about the Switch and she'd not have known, she could've bought it only to find out later that online then charges... it's a mess, they need clear messaging!

For people who aren't clued up, do you really think they would absorb every detail about a game from a -30 sec advert? Kids, casuals, parents etc, IMO, are looking at the action and if its suitable for them first. Thats why I assume these types of people will check out the box in store or ask a sales advisor for further information.

Besides the online is free at the time of MK8's launch until the online service is detailed. Sounds fair to me.

Ah come on. Although I think you may be do it a touch too much, I agree with your problems with Nintendo and online. But this is getting preposterous. Feels almost desperate now. Would it have hurt if it said its online? No. But does it deserve this constant attack? It's ridiculous. Most people will know it's online, if someone like in your situation wants to know and you don't know anyone, check online. It's not difficult.

Not that I look out for it, but I don't particularly remember any game talking about being online. Does FIFA/madden/cod etc? (Genuine question).

Just checked FIFAs trailer -

no mention of online. Absolutely disgusting. What if Timmy wants it but his mum has no idea if he can play online or not? Where was your disgust at this advert?

Not to mention the Nintendo one was a Switch advert, not a specific Mario kart one.

The cod one doesn't either - https://youtu.be/EeF3UTkCoxY, or madden -

I just checked the three examples I gave.

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost