NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Is it confirmed there are no new tracks in this game?

Really disappointing that it seems to be the case.

Seems the new development focus was on Battle Mode and its arenas :/

I didn't mean it as a jump down the throat. And you're probably right, if you're debating with two different people at the same time, it sort of doubles up your posts.

But with the issue, I just think 95% of the people who buy switch in the first 6 months will be Nintendo fans/gamers; they'll know, so don't think it'll impact them; they need to do a far bigger job of explaining the online anyway than just a logo saying it'll have it. The confusing messaging of 'only through an app' then headsets and their own documentation saying it can have mics/headsets is not good!

Also, now this is something you should worry about, on the platoon page it says voice chat. Doesn't say that on Mario kart, just online :) Imagine if they start picking and choosing which games have it!!

There is no doubt Nintendo will pick and choose which games support voice chat. Which games have robust online features.

We will still get games like Mario golf which are packed with online features while Mario tennis is bare bones to the max.

This is the Nintendo way.

Your mileage may vary on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, depending on how much you value Battle Mode

Or playing with a tablet configuration

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is somewhat of a weird precedent for Nintendo.

The Wii U failed, for all intents and purposes, so they're taking Mario Kart 8, a game that's not even three years old and selling it again on the Switch as a faux "Game of the Year Edition." It's an "enhanced" version of the original with a Double Item Box (and a two-item carry system as well as the re-introduction of the Feather and Boo), an easy steering mode for newcomers, three returning characters, two new characters, and Battle Mode. Does that sound enhanced enough to spend $60 on again? That's for you to decide.

At a Switch event this weekend I tried out both two-player tablet play and the contentious Battle Mode, and mostly came away satisfied.

I was able to play two levels of Battle Mode (Battle Stadium and Luigi's Mansion), but that's all I really needed to get a taste of to know it was legit. The arena style is back, baby, and it feels glorious in Mario Kart 8's beautiful engine, especially with the added power of the Switch. On TV mode it looks gorgeous and runs smoothly, and Battle Stadium with its bright scenery is the perfect showcase for how far Nintendo can push their first-party games.

The demo only gave us access to Bob-omb Blast, a mode from Double Dash where every item is a Bob-omb that you can subsequently toss in front of you or lay behind your kart. Players earn a point for each person they knock a balloon off of, and if all of your lives run out, you'll lose half of your kill count. It's a very Mario Kart rubber-bandy thing, and especially frustrating when you've wracked up 10 or above points, but I get why it's a thing. It's especially easy to identify who's in the lead as a crown appears above your head and on the shared mini-map, so you can't really hide after you've amassed a high score either. It was fun enough, but a Nintendo rep noted that traditional battle with the full item set is available in the full version, as well as three other modes.

As for the racing bits, they felt the exact same. My other session involved taking off two Joy-Con controllers from the tablet, which slipped off with the quick press of a button on the back -- they were painless to slip on and off. Huddled into a demo station that emulated a plane ride (complete with tray tables), I played a full race of Wario's Gold Mine. Again, it's basically Mario Kart 8 with a more convenient tablet, but I could see myself using it on the go as it's just big enough to make out what's going on, even playing on the seat next to the tiny screen.

I do think this is Mario Kart 8's second lease on life, though, no matter how you feel about buying in for a second time. The tablet is going to be much easier to bring to someone's house for a quick LAN session, which is something the series has thrived on since Double Dash. If the Switch sells enough we should see a more active online community, and if the paid online system can bring faster connection speeds and other features (like a longer lasting Mario Kart TV -- RIP), so be it.

https://www.destructoid.com/your-mileage-may-vary-on-mario-kart-8-deluxe-depending-on-how-much-you-value-battle-mode-418163.phtml

So it appears unless we hear otherwise in the coming weeks that Wii U owners are getting shafted with MK. Considering this game has probably already made them millions and all the new version is just has a few bolt on battle maps they should be selling this for sub £30 to everyone.

Anyway, then main reason for my post is when does the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe League Start?

Wouldn't mind a battle league of some kind also.

So it appears unless we hear otherwise in the coming weeks that Wii U owners are getting shafted with MK. Considering this game has probably already made them millions and all the new version is just has a few bolt on battle maps they should be selling this for sub £30 to everyone.

Anyway, then main reason for my post is when does the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe League Start?

Wouldn't mind a battle league of some kind also.

Exactly how I feel... And the same with Splatoon 2, even if it's officially a new game, I still need convincing it's worth the investment after the original. And then the unannounced but confirmed Smash 4.0.1

I bought all DLC, day one. I know they owe me nothing, it just rubs me the wrong way they totaly ignore the subject.

Gives the Switch launch a bad start for me.

Agreed I'm still struggling to understand Nintendo's thought process with this. If they included 1 or 2 new cups most fans would probably have been happy, even if it was tracks from past games. As it stands MK8 Deluxe is quite open to criticism and I'm sure the review scores it gets will suffer somewhat. Just hope they promise some free new tracks soon...

On the flipside if you never got this on Wii U then this version is a bargain considering the amount of content it will have.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of further DLC for this either. The last one was so successful on Wii U, it would be a guaranteed money spinner for them to add another 2 or 4 cups a few months down the line.

Half price for Wii U DLC owners, amirite?

I wouldn't discount the possibility of further DLC for this either. The last one was so successful on Wii U, it would be a guaranteed money spinner for them to add another 2 or 4 cups a few months down the line.

Half price for Wii U DLC owners, amirite?

seeing as Wii U owners will have bought essentially an upscaled, the double item and a battle mode for full retail... surely free for Wii U owners would be reasonable.

I guess, looking back, as it turns out I did effectively get mk8 for free, so in some way it would be the right thing to do to actually spend money on the game (in my personal case)

Edited by Pestneb

seeing as Wii U owners will have bought essentially upscaled, double item, battle mode for full retail... surely free for Wii U owners would be reasonable. I guess, looking back, as it turns out I did effectively get mk8 for free, so in some way it would be the right things to do to actually spend money on the game (in my personal case)

I hadn't thought about that! I also got the game for free packaged with the Wii U and only spent £11 on the DLC... The fact that I've put over 100 hours into the game and still really enjoy it makes me feel not so bad about forking out another £40. The upscaling will look amazing on my TV and I've been itching for a battle mode, so there's only general happiness from me at this port.

Right now my home internet is.. plodding. 0.5mbps download is a peak.. 0.2-0.4 is more usual. Ping is abysmal. I don't think online gaming is realistic at this point... I have no local battle mode opponents, and the distant ones are unlikely to shell out for a switch and mk8d. It's a real shame, if they put battle mode in the Wii U version I would happily spend £15 for that.

Just remembered I got MK for free. I preordered from Nintendo and they delivered late so gave me a download code and I sold the disc copy when it arrived. Don't feel so bad now.

I know it's not much for Wii U owners but I don't think this is up-scaled.

I'm sure I read the Switch version of MK8 was 1080p 60 natively in docked mode. That will look amazing.

I know it's not much for Wii U owners but I don't think this is up-scaled.

I'm sure I read the Switch version of MK8 was 1080p 60 natively in docked mode. That will look amazing.

Not upscaled as I mistakenly wrote earlier, but MK8DX runs natively in 1080p60 docked, the Wii U version was 720p and, according to Digital Foundry, actually ran at 59fps. The Switch version should be a marked improvement over the Wii U game on a decent screen.

I guess in Nintendo's defence as well, with MK8 we got a free game (or in my instance, 2 :P) so in effect it really was for free... "buy one of these games, get MK8 for free!!" although those games were available for about half the price of MK8 iirc.

I'm not sure I can play mk8 online at the moment though so.. kinda glad I didn't cave to get a switch at launch, I imagine it'll be a year before I'd be able to enjoy it at its best (judging by my 3DS Nintendo don't seem so popular in this part of France)

Not upscaled as I mistakenly wrote earlier, but MK8DX runs natively in 1080p60 docked, the Wii U version was 720p and, according to Digital Foundry, actually ran at 59fps. The Switch version should be a marked improvement over the Wii U game on a decent screen.

Strangely, it only ran at 59fps when you had the AI racing with you. Online and multiplayer was 60fps, as were time trials

So about the League?

I'm happy to take over hosting if Simon doesn't want to. Will need to be slightly later as I coach football on Thursday evenings.

Can we maybe do two GP's and two Battle modes as part of the league night. Would be good to mix it up a bit, plus I can see some evil tactics being used. If somebody does well in the GP's he/she "might" get teamed up against in battle mode to bring down their score Bwhahahahah!

Can we maybe do two GP's and two Battle modes as part of the league night. Would be good to mix it up a bit, plus I can see some evil tactics being used. If somebody does well in the GP's he/she "might" get teamed up against in battle mode to bring down their score Bwhahahahah!

That's absolutely cruel and evil.

I love it!

Shame once the pay-to-play nonsense kicks in, I'll be out about as present in online Mario Kart as Donkey Kong Jr.

Not sure if I'm getting this, it depends mostly on other people (like you guys).

The Wii U is officially on my backlog, and this game would be one of the few I'd want for it, and I don't consider this port to be substantial enough for me to prefer it over the original. That said, I'm, usually also practical, and in April, The Switch is the console I'll actually own, and just like Zelda, I may actually just get it for this system, since I do like to play Mario Kart. If more people are getting it and playing it online this will be more reason for me to get this version.

For now, I'm leaning towards getting it.

Not sure if I'm getting this, it depends mostly on other people (like you guys).

The Wii U is officially on my backlog, and this game would be one of the few I'd want for it, and I don't consider this port to be substantial enough for me to prefer it over the original. That said, I'm, usually also practical, and in April, The Switch is the console I'll actually own, and just like Zelda, I may actually just get it for this system, since I do like to play Mario Kart. If more people are getting it and playing it online this will be more reason for me to get this version.

For now, I'm leaning towards getting it.

if you don't own mk8 for wii u and you are getting the switch, I would just go straight in for deluxe. The lack of battle mode was the number one failure in mario kart 8, it really missed out there. I think switch servers will be more populated too, mk8 is hugely popular (I think online match ups are still easier than splatoons from personal experience) but I suspect that will drop off quite quickly. MK8D will have more legs.

Have they announced who the official timekeeper for this game will be yet?