NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

So, it only just hit me that Wiggler is actually not in MK Tour.

It's noteworthy in that a lot of people (Me included) assumed that despite the declaration of characters being from "previous games", we thought that they'd all be characters available in Tour.

But now that we're certain that everyone is on the table, R.O.B has an actual shot.
Of course, that also means Honey Queen has a shot...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed the distinction between games when the characters were announced.

So going by that logic, there's a character from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart Tour.

If characters are being chosen from different games then characters from Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii are very likely.

Perhaps we'll only more traditional console Mario Kart character, and the other one will be a Tour character.

In which case, those are solid pics, though I still reckon Poochy could be likely.  

17 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Come on R.O.B!!

He needs to make a comeback. 

I've said it before, but with Mario Kart 8 introducing non-Mario characters to the roster, it's the perfect time to have R.O.B return without it being weird and out-of-place.

If R.O.B does make it, then Funky can come back for all I care. I'd be satisfied.
Of course, Poochy or DK Jr will also be acceptable.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Would be cool to see R.O.B make a comeback. :D

Also, they might still add Wiggler to Tour (I really thought he was already in it :hehe:) as some of the previous Booster Pass content has ended up in Tour at a later date.

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Also, they might still add Wiggler to Tour (I really thought he was already in it :hehe:) as some of the previous Booster Pass content has ended up in Tour at a later date.

Oh, yeah, it's certainly likely, but the reason I thought it would consist of characters from Tour was because it'd require the least effort to transfer them to 8 DX. All they'd have to really do is make some animations compatible with bikes.

But Wiggler being there means that the MK team seem fine with going the full hog if neccessary.

Just as long as Funky doesn't come back. MK Wii made me sick to death of him.

Wave 5 drops on July 12th.

Spoiler

- Koopa Cape (Wii)
- Los Angeles Laps (Tour)
- Moonview Highway (Wii)
- Squeaky Clean Sprint (New track)
- Athens Dash (Tour)
- Daisy Cruiser (Double Dash)
- Sunset Wilds (Super Circuit)
- Vancouver Velocity (Tour)

Moonview Highway, Daisy Cruiser, and Sunset Wilds are fine choices. Not "Airship Fortress" fine, but fine.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

mariokart8dxboosterpasswave5banner.620x0.webp

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Wave 5 Release Date

Now up on the main page.

List of all new tracks and characters, plus video embed.

- - - - -

At least we got another GameCube track, plus the Wii tracks are reasonably good choices, the GBA track is decent, Tour tracks look reasonably good, and the new track looks fun, plus three new characters, so it's a pretty solid update overall, and I look forward to playing the new tracks next week. :smile:

Daisy Cruiser and Koopa Cape are two of the more memorable tracks, so I’m pleased to see them make MK8, it’s just a shame I’ve always been terrible at both! 😂

Three Tour tracks is a disappointment for me.  I admittedly haven’t played hem though, so I’m open to trying them out.  Hopefully they’ll have enough distinct personality to stand out from the other your tracks.

Overall, with the exception of the new course, this is probably the wave I’ve been least excited about, but that I know the least about, so going in with an open mind come Thursday.

• Thanks 1

I completely spaced on writing up my thoughts on wave 4, so I guess we're getting a double bumper post.

Spoiler

#8 Tour Amsterdam Drift - It's not a bad track this one, but the rest of wave 4 kinda makes it look blander by comparison. (seriously, wave 4 is really good) The trams and the underwater section is neat enough, but there's not much else going on here. In any other wave, it might have fared better.

#7 DS Mario Circuit - I wasn't exactly keen on the idea of this track being chosen over a certain other DS track, but the 8 DX version did a pretty good job of jazzing it up. One section now happens in a forest, with a Maple Treeway Wiggler thrown in there that wakes up and starts moving in the second half. Great shortcut opportunities as well. And some brutal hairpins at the end. Solid.

#6 Tour Bangkok Rush - This one is actually quite good. Again, wave 4 being far too good. Lots of varied road layouts, a very subtle shortcut that I never noticed until I looked at the world record, and a great bouncy section. Loads of alternate routing here makes for a very dynamic race. One of the better Tour tracks.

#5 GBA Riverside Park - Who took a hacksaw to this track? The first hairpin turn is completely gone, and the middle bit is at a completely different angle. Then again, it's a GBA track in 8 Deluxe, so that's pretty standard. It's great though. The Ptooie's that hover items over themselves are cool. Some dexterity has gotten me a few mushrooms in first place.

#4 GCN Waluigi Stadium - Yeah, this one's a classic. Grip is basically non-existant in this track, which is problematic for my inward drifting setup. Still great though, I like threading the needle on the half pipe straight to get multiple boosts and the added floating platforms on a couple of the corners are welcome.

#3 Tour Singapore Speedway - Wow, this one is great! Guess we know which Tour track is the hit here. Visually stunning, and with lots of great terrain to work through. Tarmac, water, conveyer belts, this has a lot going for it. The only downside is that there aren't many shortcut opportunities.

#2 Wii DK's Snowboard Cross - I mean, if you're gonna bring back the half pipe mechanic, then you might as well bring back the half-pipe track, and yeah, it works. It hasn't changed much, it doesn't need to be. And let's face it, it's really fun using the half pipe on the first hairpin to absolutely destroy physics for a moment.

#1 Yoshi's Island - Yeah, it couldn't be anything else, really. How'd it take so long to get a Yoshi's Island track, anyway? Oh well, better late then never, and better awesome then not. The aesthetic is spot on, the music is amazing, and the ? cloud shortcut is probably one of the trickiest shortcuts to hit, and it's tilted in favour towards people in the back. Also, has the best middle finger victory music.

This wave is easily the best one so far. Absolute hits throughout!

Right, wave 5 now.

Spoiler

#8 GCN Daisy Cruiser - Honestly? This track was never that great. The cruiser aethetic is unique, but that's kind of worn off by now. It's nice that the tables move around again, though.

#7 GBA Sunset Wilds - Something felt off to me playing this one last night. And yeah, it's the second half. It's quite different. The last two hairpins have been chopped off, and the Shy Guys show up earlier then usual. I think it's too much, this time, actually. It's the last two corners being flat out gone that bothers me. The music is amazing though, and everyone likes Shy Guy vocal backing when you drive past them!

#6 Tour Vancouver Velocity - Much like Singapore Speedway, this is a visually spectacular track, and the ice rink section is an absolute menace, with quite possibly the narrowest mandatory section in the entire game! It's very nice, considering that it's the least good Tour track in this wave.

#5 Wii Moonview Highway - I always thought this was an underrated track. It's nice to see it back. And the Bob-omb car is back! It's nowhere near as devestating as in Wii, but then again, what is? The speed boosters get shuffled around a bit in between each race. Very cool. It helps to keep you on toes, especially with other people complicating matters. Absolutely solid. And it's better then Cocounut Mall. Yeah, I said it.

#4 Wii Koopa Cape - This hasn't changed, like, at all. That's fine, it's a solid track in the first place. Not much else to say.

#3 Tour Los Angeles Laps - I noticed something with this wave when this track came along. There are some really narrow sections here. This track, especially. Lots of corner cutting shenanigans on the beach sections, a half-pipe that lets you laugh at physics, and a terrain change with the building site(?). A very cool track, and also, an unexpected reuse of Mario Slugger renders.

#2 Tour Athens Dash - Boy, this one is wild! Loads of jumps and unorthodox terrain make for a very different Tour track, lots of shortcuts and some perilous sections with pillars and doorways. The aesthetic and terrain really helps Athens to stand out.

#1 Squeaky Clean Sprint - This is a very great addition to MK8's new track reportoire! An overwhelming level of dynamic shifts makes for an incredibly exciting layout. Whether it be the plughole section (Don't trick of the bumps, it's a trap!), the toilet water alternate path (Yes, really) that opens up on the second lap, or the absolutely ridiculous slippery surface before the gliding section where drifting will literally send you sideways! This is one of the absolute top tracks introduced to console Mario Kart.

Wave 5 isn't quite as good as 4 or 3, but it's still a good wave.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

Heads up, balance changes!

Balance Changes:

• Cat Peach, Inkling Girl, Villager (Female), Tanooki Mario, Inkling Boy, and Villager (Male) have had their Mini-Turbo statistic increased by a value of 0.25 (1 point).

• Metal Mario (and Gold Mario), Pink Gold Peach, Rosalina, King Boo, and Link have had their Invincibility statistic increased by a value of 0.50 (2 points).

• Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Roy have had their Invincibility statistic increased by a value of 0.75 (3 points).

• Wario, Dry Bowser, and Heavy Mii have had their Invincibility statistic increased by a value of 1.00 (4 points).

• Bowser and Morton have had their Invincibility statistic increased by a value of 1.25 (5 points).

• Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Dry Bones, Light Mii, Koopa Troopa, Lakitu, Bowser Jr., Toad, Shy Guy, Larry, Cat Peach, Inkling Girl, and Villager (Female) have had their Invincibility statistic decreased by a value of 0.25 (1 point).

• Toadette, Wendy, Isabelle, Tanooki Mario, Inkling Boy, Villager (Male), Peach, Daisy, Birdo, and Yoshi have had their Invincibility statistic decreased by a value of 0.50 (2 points).

• Landship, Streetle, Pipe Frame, Varmint, City Tripper, Tanooki Kart, Koopa Clown, and Master Cycle Zero have had their Ground Speed statistic increased by a value of 0.25 (1 point).

• Tanooki Kart, Koopa Clown, Master Cycle Zero, Circuit Special, B Dasher, and P-Wing have had their Mini-Turbo statistic increased by a value of 0.25 (1 point).

• Bandwagon, GLA (kart), and Standard ATV have had their Mini-Turbo statistic increased by a value of 0.50 (2 points).

• Monster, Hot Monster, and Ancient Tires have had their Ground Speed statistic increased by a value of 0.25 (1 point).

• Off-Road, Retro Off-Road, Triforce Tires, Metal, Gold Tires, Slick, and Cyber Slick have had their Mini-Turbo statistic increased by a value of 0.25 (1 point).

New characters:

• Petey Piranha shares statistics with Metal Mario, Gold Mario, and Pink Gold Peach, except for using large vehicle size instead of medium, and with an Invincibility statistic increased by a value of 0.75 (3 points).

• Wiggler shares statistics with Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Roy, except for using medium vehicle size instead of large.

• Kamek shares statistics with Luigi and Iggy, and uses medium vehicle size.

• Thanks 1

OK, no buffs for me, but more importantly, no invincibility frame nerfs.

I'll take it.

oip.620x0.webp

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Updated to Version 2.4.0

All of this information is also on the main page, as of a few days ago.

I just tend to promote all of the news in the eShop thread now once a week, unless there's a Direct or really big news. :peace:

- - - - -

• Like 1

None of that means a thing when Mario Kartma is out in full force (or you’re playing on Baby Park). But I guess the nerds will make use of it lol

Apologies if I’ve missed it here or in another thread… so with the tracks on the final two cups to be revealed I wonder what tracks we’ll get.

I expect there’ll be more predictions closer to the time, but for now here are mine:

• Airship Fortress (DS)
  • Bowser’s Castle (N64)
  • Delfino Square (DS)
  • Dino Dino Jungle (GCN)
  • DKs Jungle Parkway (N64)
  • Rainbow Road (Wii)
  • Koopa Beach (N64)

Plus one more new course, that’s not a Tour one.  I’ve lost track a little on which courses are remaining mind! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wave Six details:

New tracks:

Wii - Rainbow Road.
Tour - Madrid Drive
GCN - DK mountain
SNES - Bowsers Castle 3
Tour - Rome Avanti
Wii - Daisy Circuit
Piranha Plant Cave
3DS - Rosalina's Ice World

And Funky Kong, Diddy Kong, Pechette and Pauline as the new drivers

Also comes with new Mii Costumes:

85748_37.jpg

85748_36.png?ex=6554c46d&is=65424f6d&hm=

(Seems Inkling boy and girl has been consolidated into one character slot now)

And a costume for Daisy's Amiibo:

85748_38.jpg

Also a soundtest mode for this games amazing soundtrack:

85748_40.jpg

Some more random screenshots:

85748_05.webp

85748_06.webp

85748_11.webp

85748_13.webp

85748_26.webp

85748_30.webp

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

RIP Piranha Plant Pipeline… forever trapped in mobile hell :(

Edited by Dcubed

Oh god, not Rosalina's Ice World!

The track itself is fine, it's the concept that annoys me.

It makes no bloody sense! What has Rosalina got to do with ice!?

This is why kids confuse her with Elsa from Frozen, you know!

48 minutes ago, martinist said:

D.K MOUNTIAN!!!!!!!!

WhqA.gif

Eh... Mount Wario does the concept better.

Airship Fortress not being there is a damn shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

What has Rosalina got to do with ice!?

She's got a serious problem with crystal methamphetamine.

So with this final wave, the following courses remain unported from Mario Kart Tour...

SNES

Mario Circuit 1, Donut Plains 1, Ghost Valley 1, Mario Circuit 2, Choco Island 1, Ghost Valley 2, Donut Plains 2, Choco Island 2, Vanilla Lake 1, Koopa Troopa Beach 2, Vanilla Lake 2

N64

Frappe Snowland, Mario Raceway

GBA

Peach Circuit, Bowser's Castle 1, Bowser's Castle 2, Bowser's Castle 3, Bowser's Castle 4, Luigi Circuit, Cheep-Cheep Island

GCN

Mushroom Bridge, Dino Dino Jungle

DS

Luigi's Mansion, DK Pass, Airship Fortress

Wii

Dry Dry Ruins

3DS

Daisy Hills, Cheep Cheep Lagoon, Shy Guy Bazaar, Mario Circuit, Wario Galleon, Bowser's Castle

Tour

Piranha Plant Pipeline

... wow... SMK got done dirty! Only got two tracks throughout the entire BCP!

That's an depressingly large list of missing tracks... 33 in total! That's enough for another 4 waves with some change!

While there are some really upsetting missing courses (Airship Fortress... :(), PPP's omission the most utterly baffling though.  Why even bother making it at all if you're just going to consign it to the digital dustbin, forever locked in mobile prison!?

Edited by Dcubed

6 hours ago, Helmsly said:

And a costume for Daisy's Amiibo:

85748_38.jpg

I always wonder how you lot have these. Figured they're unlockable with enough online play or something... but they're behind amiibo? That's pish!

Thought the amiibo section was just to save your time trial ghost to take it over your mates house. Scanned one of my knock-off Animal Crossing Sanrio cards and got that helmet. It's a start!