NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Edit

@Josh64 just pointed out to me the score was an 8. Meant to be a 9. Sorry!

Nintendo shill hard at work, obviously.

So who'll be playing tomorrow night, Say...8pm?

Depends on whether @Dcubed gets his.

@Ashley, important question.

Are the Mii's unlocked from the start? I need to get my silly Mii voice ASAP.

Yeah, all characters are unlocked at the start except Gold Mario.

Great, no-one cares about Gold Mario anyway.

What about vehicle parts?

Thing is, I'm seeing a lot of requests for games to be more like this, with all characters etc. unlocked at the start for easier play on competitions.

Seen many ask it for next Smash Bros

Thing is, I'm seeing a lot of requests for games to be more like this, with all characters etc. unlocked at the start for easier play on competitions.

So, that one topic that appeared on Gaf the other day?

Great, no-one cares about Gold Mario anyway.

What about vehicle parts?

Nah you need to collect dollarydoos for that.

Meh. Personally I'm not fussed either way for something like Smash/Mario Kart but I could see arguments either side.

Although I was a strong advocate for Mario Maker to have everything unlocked at the start due to its creative nature.

I always prefer to have something to work towards with unlockable characters. I stop playing a lot earlier this way.

It's a strange request, huh?

Take that away and you take away a lot of motivation for single players.

I remember when I played Melee and got super excited whenever the "A new foe has appeared" screen showed up.

And with Brawl, Subspace Emissary was made even more fun whenever an unlockable character appeared. And then you were normally thrust into a stage with them. A great way of trying them out.

Smash 4 still had unlockable characters, but there were a lot less, which was a shame.

(Also didn't help that I may have spoiled a few of them for myself. Damn you, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Duo Leak...)

Of course, if Smash Switch is a Smash 4 Deluxe, then I won't mind as much. But a new Smash with no secret characters would make me a bit sad.

It also makes sense when online is a big part of the game, especially in games like Mario Kart which have a tedious singleplayer.

I always prefer to have something to work towards with unlockable characters. I stop playing a lot earlier this way.

Same. I love me some unlockables.

Saying that, I can see why the people who've bought and played the Wii U version on MK8 would want access to their stuff ASAP. Same goes for Smash if it is indeed a port of the Wii U game.

Yeah I think with this being an upgraded port, its fine having them all unlocked at the start.

I do like having characters to unlock in games though.

Am I right in thinking if MK8 is on the Japanese Eshop it's playable now?

Am I right in thinking if MK8 is on the Japanese Eshop it's playable now?

If the full game is on the Japanese eShop, then you can buy and play the Japanese version.

Whether you can change the language to English is a different matter.

If the full game is on the Japanese eShop, then you can buy and play the Japanese version.

Whether you can change the language to English is a different matter.

Yeah it has English language support

Looks like Amazon sent my copy via Royal Mail and not Amazon Logistics despite me using Prime. There never really seems to be a reason why either way with their preorders.

For those who've yet to order the game, or want to cancel and reorder their Amazon orders, here's a code for £5 off a game over £40.

VG5OFF40

With Prime it brings the game down to a much more reasonable £34.99.

It's up on the EU eShop.

Thanks. Card didn't work on Japanese eShop.

It not there yet.

Looks like Amazon sent my copy via Royal Mail and not Amazon Logistics despite me using Prime. There never really seems to be a reason why either way with their preorders.

That usually means that it's next day tracked, and is far more reliable than Amazon Logistics.

Just arrived, but I've got an appointment so can't play it for a while. I started it up though and it asked me to choose a Mii, is there any way to skip that? I hadn't got round to actually making a Mii so I'll have to make a new one before I start playing later.

Just arrived, but I've got an appointment so can't play it for a while. I started it up though and it asked me to choose a Mii, is there any way to skip that? I hadn't got round to actually making a Mii so I'll have to make a new one before I start playing later.

I couldn't find a way to skip, but nor did I really bother trying. Although I seem to recall you can choose a pre-made (by Nintendo) one.

Well I just got my copy this morning and ended up playing it for a good hour and a half before having to head out to work, I started playing on the big screen then went undocked and back to the big screen again... aside from changing controllers easily in the home menu which is fine, absolutely seamless. :D

I've been noticing plenty of little details which either weren't there before or I just didn't notice, it really makes this feel like the definitive version that it is being marketed as. :)

Though I did notice when I took my game card out of the box, each one of the contacts was already scratched in a straight line - possibly due to testing, no idea - but it works fine so all is well and best of all from it now being on a cartridge based format, the load times feel like they've been more than halved, so that's three seconds to load the title screen plus about ten seconds or less to load each GP which I tested up to the Special Cup... these are all most welcome improvements. :grin:

Got my copy, from what little I've played of it, battle mode is absolutely superb! The new arena courses are very very well designed; really interesting, make great use of the antigravity mechanics and have a great mix of closed off and wide open spaces. I've only tried Balloon Battle, so I can't comment on the other modes yet, but it's very very good! And while I'm still upset at the lack of an elimination mode option, it's easily the best Balloon Battle Mode we've seen since MKDS; much better than MKWii and MK7.

As for the rest of the game? It's MK8, now in 1080p. It actually does look a lot cleaner than the original Wii U version, almost all of the pixellation is gone now, but otherwise, it's the MK8 you know and love. I'm still not sure about the return of dual items though... I actually really liked that you could only have one item at a time in MK8 and I'm still a bit worried that the person in first place will be too well protected, but we'll have to wait and see how it plays out as we play it more.

The Joycon wheels are very nice. Small, cute and they feel good in the hands; the SL/SR buttons take a bit of getting used to though since they have a fair amount of give to them.

Looking forward to getting stuck into it more, especially Battle Mode! :D

Word of warning if it hasn't already been said, but the game has Smart Steering on by default. I didn't notice until I'd done the first GP.

I've done a few GP's and a few times trials, there are definitely little details and flourishes that are new and the HD rumble is great, really subtle. I found the rumble to be too distracting in handheld mode on Fast RMX but it works really well in MK8.