NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

This is a big beef i've had with the series for years. When I was a kid I was able to put up with the random nature of the game, as well as the rubber banding AI, but as I got older these things became less tolerable.

I thought 8 doesn't use rubber banding AI?

It clearly does, its just not as aggressive as the other games.

This is why I couldn't care about the single player. When you're on your own it's not that much fun... but if you're playing with mates it's hilarious (if you can chat to each other that is)!

I don't mind the single player stuff, just as long as it's fair. When you are first for the majority of the race, and then get hammered on the final turn by a series of projectiles, the game becomes frustrating.

One of my mates sent me a text yesterday effing and blinding about this very thing. He was trying to complete 150cc with 3 stars but was constantly getting screwed over by the AI. Needless to say he wasn't a happy man. He said he knocked the Switch off in a huff. :D

I played through all of 100cc and won every race by a comfortable margin, even managed to lap a couple of people in some races. I never experienced this on the Wii U version. 150cc seems to be a lot easier as well, I remember having problems on the Wii U getting 3 stars, but on the Switch version it has been plain sailing, with the exception of a few close calls. I can still build up a healthy lead in most races.

I don't know if it's because I know the tracks inside out after 3 years or whether the level of aggression has been toned down, but it definitely feels much easier compared to the Wii U version.

The Wii U version definitely had some sort of rubber banding. Or at least AI that was programmed to hold all their shells back until the last corner to fuck with you.

150cc seems to be a lot easier as well, I remember having problems on the Wii U getting 3 stars, but on the Switch version it has been plain sailing, with the exception of a few close calls. I can still build up a healthy lead in most races.

The Switch version seems much easier to me. I've been going through 200cc just to unlock Gold Mario and has mostly been plain sailing. I've been unlucky in a few races but certainly nothing like as difficult as the Wii U original.

Cheers dude! Totally won't bother then. Haha

I'm not sure if this will change your mind but I unlocked Gold Mario this morning and you don't need to get 3 stars as just coming first in each cup overall is enough.. and at 200cc, it really doesn't take very long :grin:

I played through all of 100cc and won every race by a comfortable margin, even managed to lap a couple of people in some races. I never experienced this on the Wii U version. 150cc seems to be a lot easier as well, I remember having problems on the Wii U getting 3 stars, but on the Switch version it has been plain sailing, with the exception of a few close calls. I can still build up a healthy lead in most races.

I don't know if it's because I know the tracks inside out after 3 years or whether the level of aggression has been toned down, but it definitely feels much easier compared to the Wii U version.

That happened to me on 150cc, I'm able to get a large gap between myself and the AI, so I'm confused about how @Hero\-of\-Time claims it has rubber banding when it doesn't seem to be happening from my experience.

If anything, Deluxe should be harder since the AI can hold 2 items now. :p

That happened to me on 150cc, I'm able to get a large gap between myself and the AI, so I'm confused about how @Hero\-of\-Time claims it has rubber banding when it doesn't seem to be happening from my experience.

If anything, Deluxe should be harder since the AI can hold 2 items now. :p

What can I say? I'm just going from my experience when playing the Wii U game. I could get a healthy lead, get hit a single time and the AI would simply breeze past me.

I'm not sure if this will change your mind but I unlocked Gold Mario this morning and you don't need to get 3 stars as just coming first in each cup overall is enough.. and at 200cc, it really doesn't take very long :grin:

Ah, so it's just a gold cup in 200cc? Now far more manageable. Might actually bother then. Thanks!

I've got 3 cups left on 150cc and have won all of them fairly comfortably.

When in first on the final lap I fully expect the shells and items to bombard me, but the only time it has happened I've been able to still finish first due to the lead I've built up.

It does seem less aggressive compared to Wii U in my opinion / experience.

It does seem less aggressive compared to Wii U in my opinion / experience.

I wonder if it has been toned down then? I may fire it up tonight and seen how I fare. I'll be very pleased if that is indeed the case.

I wonder if it has been toned down then? I may fire it up tonight and seen how I fare. I'll be very pleased if that is indeed the case.

Yeah see what you think.

I've changed my character and kart set up entirely though with this game and I've won everything so part of me thinks I'm either on a very lucky roll or I've got exceptionally good at this game. :laughing:

Chances are it's luck. :heh:

The game managed to sell over 1 million copies WW in just a few days.

[TWEET]859399547180765186[/TWEET]

Very strong response for the Wii U port. Nintendo now needs to bring Captain Toad and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze over to the Wii U. Do it!

What can I say? I'm just going from my experience when playing the Wii U game. I could get a healthy lead, get hit a single time and the AI would simply breeze past me.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just to be clear. It's all good. : peace:

Very strong response for the Wii U port. Nintendo now needs to bring Captain Toad and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze over to the Wii U. Do it!

I absolutely love the Switch and would actually like loads of Wii U ports as I feel a lack of desire to ever go back and play with the Wii U Gamepad again. I enjoyed plenty of games on that system but would be more than happy to see all of my favourite titles moved over to Switch, even if they need to be adapted to get rid of any Gamepad functionality.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Pikmin 3, Starfox Zero, Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World and the HD remasters of both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be very welcome. To be honest, looking across my shelf of Wii U titles there isn't actually that much that needs to be ported :red:

I would also like to see both of the recent Donkey Kong Country games in one bundle with Returns given a lick of HD paint to bring it closer to Tropical Freeze :hehe:

For things like Super Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros, I suspect we'll see both of those within the next 12 months with several improvements and additions such as new themes and tools for Super Mario Maker while the 3DS and Wii U versions of Super Smash Bros could be combined to provide the ultimate version of that game.

Wouldn't Mario Maker need a stylus?

Wouldn't Mario Maker need a stylus?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be better with a stylus but using a finger may work well enough on the Switch screen or there's also the possibility of using the motion capabilities of the Joy-con to work as a pointer if designing levels on the TV :smile:

I've actually never played Mario Maker, so it was actually a genuine question as to whether you needed one to play it...

Yeah I'm sure they could find a workaround. Or bundle one with the game.

I absolutely love the Switch and would actually like loads of Wii U ports as I feel a lack of desire to ever go back and play with the Wii U Gamepad again. I enjoyed plenty of games on that system but would be more than happy to see all of my favourite titles moved over to Switch, even if they need to be adapted to get rid of any Gamepad functionality.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Pikmin 3, Starfox Zero, Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World and the HD remasters of both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be very welcome. To be honest, looking across my shelf of Wii U titles there isn't actually that much that needs to be ported :red:

I would also like to see both of the recent Donkey Kong Country games in one bundle with Returns given a lick of HD paint to bring it closer to Tropical Freeze :hehe:

For things like Super Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros, I suspect we'll see both of those within the next 12 months with several improvements and additions such as new themes and tools for Super Mario Maker while the 3DS and Wii U versions of Super Smash Bros could be combined to provide the ultimate version of that game.

I actually feel the same. I would love to sell/throw away my Wii U.

It's all about Smash Bros for me.

I would be really happy with a quick and dirty port to be honest!

How do you turn off the invisible barriers? I've bumped off them a couple of times, so I know they are there but can't find an option to remove them.

I am a little disappointed in the tournaments... I played a 8 race tournament yesterday and was doing great with the chance on the last race to go 1st on the leaderboard... However last race started with only 8 of us rather than the 12 for the first 7 and as such there was not enough points available to be able to take 1st.

Wasnt keen on this.

Also what are the benefits of winning tournaments?

This game is a good example of where trophies/achievements could really propel Nintendo

How do you turn off the invisible barriers? I've bumped off them a couple of times, so I know they are there but can't find an option to remove them.

So you have steering assist on? When you check the stats of your car the options should show up, press the relevant button to toggle it on or off.

I actually feel the same. I would love to sell/throw away my Wii U.

I wouldn't want to throw away my Wii U but the drop off in desire for it has been particularly hard!

After you've selected your character and are on the kart parts screen, press + or - to bring up the stats screen and press L to disable smart steering.