N-Europe

Ever Oasis (3DS)

Hero-of-Time

• 1 year later...
Anyone tried the demo for this yet?

I just finished having a try of it and I love it. The game is very charming and looks absolutely stunning. The battle system is easy to get into and switching characters to exploit weaknesses with a quick press of a button feels great. I also like how you can level up. I do love a bit of RPG grinding so this is right up my street.

I was already looking forward to the game but now I'm even more excited to get my hands on it. Shame that it's probably going to flop. There seems to be very little interest in the game from any of the sites I visit. :(

I just finished having a try of it and I love it. The game is very charming and looks absolutely stunning. The battle system is easy to get into and switching characters to exploit weaknesses with a quick press of a button feels great. I also like how you can level up. I do love a bit of RPG grinding so this is right up my street.

I was already looking forward to the game but now I'm even more excited to get my hands on it. Shame that it's probably going to flop. There seems to be very little interest in the game from any of the sites I visit. :(

I know people love new IPs and such, but could any Nintendo character have fit with this type of game to give it a chance?!

STEAM also flopped and I wonder if it had a Nintendo character in it it may have done better? Almost like how Mario and Rabbids will sell infinitely better because of Mario but it doesn't make the game feel any less fresh, sometimes certain genres may just need an extra something to make it more appealing.

I know people love new IPs and such, but could any Nintendo character have fit with this type of game to give it a chance?!

STEAM also flopped and I wonder if it had a Nintendo character in it it may have done better? Almost like how Mario and Rabbids will sell infinitely better because of Mario but it doesn't make the game feel any less fresh, sometimes certain genres may just need an extra something to make it more appealing.

Given the combat system and dungeon crawling they could have probably shoehorned the Zelda franchise into it. Instead of building up an Oasis you could build up Hyrule.

I'd rather they create something new, though. If the game does turn out great then those who dismiss it will miss out. It's their loss if they won't give it a chance just because it doesn't feature Mario or a more familiar character.

STEAM had its own problems other than being a new IP. It had an art style and characters which were weird and lacked appeal. It also had gameplay that was slow (did get patched) and unforgiving at times.

Given the combat system and dungeon crawling they could have probably shoehorned the Zelda franchise into it. Instead of building up an Oasis you could build up Hyrule.

I'd rather they create something new, though. If the game does turn out great then those who dismiss it will miss out. It's their loss if they won't give it a chance just because it doesn't feature Mario or a more familiar character.

STEAM had its own problems other than being a new IP. It had an art style and characters which were weird and lacked appeal. It also had gameplay that was slow (did get patched) and unforgiving at times.

True. I guess I just hate when great games get missed, and it's impossible to know which new ip won't appeal to a bigger audience.

I gave it a go and have very mixed feelings. The Zelda-inspired action-RPG gameplay is very addictive. It's impressive to be accompanied by AI-controlled characters that do their own thing and are genuinely helpful. Reminds me of Secret of Mana, in a way.

On the other hand, the tone is too cutesy for me. I'm also put off by the town building and how many different types of item spawn points there are ("Mine here", "Blow away the dust here"). This reminds me of Fantasy Life, which I'm not up for more of.

I actually think the game's biggest obstacle to overcome is not that it's a new IP, but simply that it's so late in the 3DS's lifespan. A few years ago I would almost certainly have bought this. As it is, I find it very hard to go back the 3DS's low-res polygon graphics. I almost feel bad about that, and I hope the game does well, but I think I'll be sitting it out. :hmm:

I actually think the game's biggest obstacle to overcome is not that it's a new IP, but simply that it's so late in the 3DS's lifespan. A few years ago I would almost certainly have bought this. As it is, I find it very hard to go back the 3DS's low-res polygon graphics. I almost feel bad about that, and I hope the game does well, but I think I'll be sitting it out. :hmm:

Yup. I can see a few games suffering because of of this. Mainly Hey! Pikmin and Miitopia. Pokemon should be fine because it's Pokemon but other 3DS games may find it hard to have an impact now that the Switch is in people's hands. Saying that, I think Metroid could do well as people have been desperate for a 2D Metroid game for a while now. Hopefully the sales will reflect the thirst for the game.

Personally, I'm glad Nintendo are still supporting the system and not just dropping it like they usually do (although there's not really a follow up hardware coming soon, Switch only sorta half counts).

Hey! Pikmin will probably bomb, Miitopia might appeal to the Tomodachi crowd (don't they link up?) so I think that should do alright. Metroid could go either way, it's not usually popular in Japan, but maybe the gap since Other M is enough and Prime 4 is coming.

I think it's a bit misleading they're advertising the game as "from the people who brought you OoT3D" since they only technically ported it over.

There's still stuff coming in 2018, although mainly Atlus titles which don't exactly sell like hot cakes anyway, so it should be quite interesting to see how things turn out.

Yup. I can see a few games suffering because of of this. Mainly Hey! Pikmin and Miitopia. Pokemon should be fine because it's Pokemon but other 3DS games may find it hard to have an impact now that the Switch is in people's hands. Saying that, I think Metroid could do well as people have been desperate for a 2D Metroid game for a while now. Hopefully the sales will reflect the thirst for the game.

The two 3DS "must-buys" for me are Metroid and Etrian Odyssey V. That said, I've completed the demo for Ever Oasis and I do want more, so I'm definitely in two minds about it.

Would definitely prefer everything on Switch though. It may not be a pure handheld, but I can play it in bed and it has better graphics (than the 3DS), so that's enough for me to consider it a replacement.

It's impressive to be accompanied by AI-controlled characters that do their own thing and are genuinely helpful. Reminds me of Secret of Mana, in a way.

BLATANT LIES!

Secret of Mana's AI-controlled characters are many things, but definitely not helpful.

Miitopia might appeal to the Tomodachi crowd (don't they link up?)

Nuh-uh. Doesn't need to anyway. Miitopia is an RPG.

• 9 months later...
21 hours ago, nekunando said:

Did you ever get this, @Hero-of-Time? I ordered it last night from Smyths for £10 and keep going back and forth on whether I actually want it or not!

I did. I was enjoying the game at the start but then things started to get a little tedious when the game started needed to to constantly switch out characters that had different abilities in order to make progress in the dungeons. When that started happening I dropped the game. It may be one I go back to and give another shot but it's been that long since I played it I would probably have to start all over again. :p 

• Thanks 1